Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
L. Declis said:
Carzinex said:
I'm in a minority among book-readers, but I put less stock in prophecy (and the vague sayings of Quaithe) than most. The "three heads" is an example of something I think is attributed more meaning than it truly has. This may be because it's a red herring, or it may be because prophecy is shaky and unreliable even in-universe.

Hell, it may even end up being a genuine prophecy that simply goes unfulfilled, like Rhaegar's apparently-mystical belief that his child Aegon is destined for great things. That's how I read it, anyway.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Silvanus said:
L. Declis said:
Carzinex said:
I'm in a minority among book-readers, but I put less stock in prophecy (and the vague sayings of Quaithe) than most. The "three heads" is an example of something I think is attributed more meaning than it truly has. This may be because it's a red herring, or it may be because prophecy is shaky and unreliable even in-universe.

Hell, it may even end up being a genuine prophecy that simply goes unfulfilled, like Rhaegar's apparently-mystical belief that his child Aegon is destined for great things. That's how I read it, anyway.
I'm not too keen on the prophecy side of the books, but I did think that maybe Stannis might turn out to be one of the supposed dragon riders. The Baratheons are descended from Valerians and I think they were supposedly related to the Targaryens. And Stannis could probably scowl a dragon into submission.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
heroofheroin said:
I still think it's silly that some people try to say this guy overtook Tolkien as king of fantasy.
Well, they're completely different animals, really; very different kinds of fantasy, incomparable in a lot of ways. Tolkein follows the classic light-versus-dark storyline, while Martin doesn't, for one thing.

Breakdown said:
I'm not too keen on the prophecy side of the books, but I did think that maybe Stannis might turn out to be one of the supposed dragon riders. The Baratheons are descended from Valerians and I think they were supposedly related to the Targaryens. And Stannis could probably scowl a dragon into submission.
Baratheons have some tertiary relation to the Targaryens, it's true, which was used to validate Robert's claim when he took the throne. Still, I would very much doubt Stannis as a dragonrider. As far as I can tell, his story is not one of compromise or consolidation with a rival claimant like Daenerys.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Silvanus said:
L. Declis said:
Carzinex said:

Exact words were a dragon with one body and three heads.

Jon Snow
Jon Stark
Jon Targeryon

Jon the Bastard
Jon the Wildling
Jon the Night's Watch