THE Game That Defined Your Childhood

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Not sure I can pick just one, so I'll go with a few that are all actually a little similar. Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Bionic Commando, and Strider (all for the NES). All sidescrolling platformers with at least a touch of RPG, and all with a slightly more mature sensibility and a penchant for being really damn hard at times (though CV2 is more hard due to it's poor translation). They were easily the touchstone games of my childhood and tend to still inform a lot of the gaming choices I make today. I still like games that trend a little more mature, that mix action and RPG, and that can be a bit challenging.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
In my early child hood there were two games I remember playing the most:

The Ninja for the Sega Master System! My god was that a hard game! But hearing the music & the scroll bring it back! Still have it!

Also it would be Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers for NES! Me & My brother played that constantly!
The music was awesome aswell! Though listening back to the sound effects don't half give you a headache!

Not to mention Super Mario Bros. 3!

In my latter childhood it would have been Streets of Rage 2 for the Megadrive! I've actually lost times the amount of times I have completed it over the years!

Also I love how it says name THE game but nearly everyone can't keep it down to one game! That's brilliant!

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
Turok 2 Seeds of evil. Taught me to read from memorizing the cheat codes. It was my first FPS. I got to play as a velociraptor in multiplayer. It had a gun that sends a flying drill into the brain of your enemy. My second game with gore (first was Jet Force Gemini). You got to ride a triceratops with grenade and machineguns mounted on the saddle. There was a frisbee with blades on it that worked like a boomerang. I was 6, it was heaven.

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
Contra. The original Contra for NES. One of the few games from the system I can still stand to play countless times for no discernible reason.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
This ************, if I could get my hands on it now, you bet I would play the hell out of it again.

GmonXyZ

Mar 3, 2012
Due to the multiple transitions game development has been through, it's almost impossible to pick _one_.

Scorched Earth [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_Earth_%28video_game%29] would probably be number one, i think. ^^

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Final Fantasy VIII

I will forever remember that game as the one that...I will remember forever.

Nah though, I loved that game and still do. I will never love games again as much as I loved that when I was a kid.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Played Mortal Kombat and its sequels religiously as a kid....yea I was pretty much obsessed with it. Spent just about all my time outside of school at the local arcade, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is easily one of my most played games ever.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm sure someone has already said it LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG before I'm saying it here, but Pokemon Blue Version.

I'm honestly convinced that I would be a very different person today if Pokemon had never graced my life.

I learned a lot from that series, and I still am.

jacilon

Aug 8, 2011
Is it bad that i Say Sonic 3 and knuckles and Blinx the time sweeper were my Defined childhood?