The game that got you into gaming

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Megaman X brought me into gaming in general.

Morrowind expanded my horizons towards computer gaming specifically.

Dwarf fortress hammered the final nail into my gaming coffin and now I can never be free. It also gave me an unusually high tolerance for difficulty but only if there's something funny about my defeat.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
squeekenator said:
Back when I was a wee little thing I always used to watch my mum playing Age of Empires. Eventually I started to play it myself, and since then I've basically been playing games my whole life.
A similar thing happened to me when I was little. I used to watch my older sister play a plethora of games, but the ones that stuck out most were the Resident Evil and Final Fantasy series. It didn't help the calling when my parents got me a copy of the first Spyro game; followed by Pokemon Red. I've been playing games from then on, and it's safe to say that I think it was worth it.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
If ut wasn't Super Mario Bros 3, it was Zelda A Link to the Past. If not that then it was Illusiion of Time/Gaia. I love that game, though the spiritual sequel, Terranigma was better. Didn't end up completing it though until about halfway through the sixth console generation.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I was handed a game boy color at age 6, turned it on, and that now-familliar Game Freak chime played, opening up the Jhoto region for the first time.

Pokemon Silver hooked me on games before the night was out.

roaringlion510

May 22, 2010
I think I can point the metaphorical finger at Ultima IV pretty definitively in my case, when I was 10 or 11. I grew up with 'edutainment' games - the Super Solver games, Reader Rabbit, Carmen Sandiego, that sort of thing - but Ultima IV was the first game that I played that had something to say, a story to tell. I remember emailing back and forth with my cousin, who'd introduced me to the game, about my progress and he'd drop me hints regarding what to do next. It gave me the first glimpse into what games are really capable of, and I've been fascinated by them ever since. Even now, Ultima IV is still the game I keep coming back to when I need to unwind for a bit.

CounterReproductive

Apr 9, 2010
Another vote for PONG! god damn I loved that game. For pure personal computing though it was Horace Goes Skiing on the ZX Spectrum 16K

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
It was easter 1996. A child of six years finds the hidden gameboy behind the garage, on top of the barrels to collect rain-water. Included with the gameboy is a game, a game about an italian plumber and his struggles to get his princess back from the claws of evil.

mario world, on the classic gameboy, got it with 6, first compleet playthrough with 16 ;P

I got a Super Nintendo later, still have it. N64, Gamecube and Wii followed, alongside the Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP and Nintendo DS. So many games have been played on all those consoles.

I'm a Nintendo girl! only playing Pc games now, 99% together with my bf. The last new game for my DS was Pokemon white, now my mother hoges it... last food for my Wii was Metroid other M

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
ShinyCharizard said:
That would be Super Mario Bros 3. Back when I about 5 I used to have to stay back after school at this after hours care program for a couple of hours because my parents worked late. At this program they had a SNES set up with Super Mario All-Stars and we all used to play Super Mario Bros 3 constantly. After that I convinced my parents to buy my brother and I a Super Nintendo and I've been enjoying games ever since.
Damn, I thought I was going to be original. Then again, it is a really good game.

A yearly goal for me is to beat the game as homage to the game that got me into gaming. I do this to remind myself of why I enjoy video games and I can't think of any other game that compels me to do this.

Deamonian

Feb 15, 2011
Age of empires 1, half-life (used to scare me, badly)... hm, what else? Oh yeah, playing Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time with a friend. (I can mostly credit my gaming habits to age of empires, though)

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
dimensional said:
Super Mario Bros on the NES I had dabbled before but that was the game that drew me in such a superb game great design, great artistry and great controls plus it was extremely simple gameplay but so rewarding and it never felt repetitive. I didnt play it when it was first released though I think it must have been about 1987 when I first had a go and havent looked back since.

The fact thats its still as playable today as it was back then is remarkable and testament to its quality.
Same here. I had played other games around that era but Super Mario Brothers was the first really good game I came across back then.

Cutter9792

Nov 22, 2009
Well, back when I was 4 I played Super Mario Brothers 3 a lot. Years passed and I got into Sonic 2, then 3. I kinda skipped a few generations before playing Tony Hawk 2 for the computer, which introduced me to 3D gaming.

Twelve years later, here I am. A fanatic.

phatty500

Mar 25, 2009
i can in fact remember going to a freinds house at probably the age of 6 and being blown away by pokemon stadium. Just seeing the monsters from my favorite show fighting AT MY COMMAND got me absolutely hooked.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
I remember playing A Link To The Past with my grams when I was three. I don't know if that counts, but that's definitely what got me into gaming. BTW, I now have that very same cartridge sitting in my house. I am embarrasingly proud of that, for some reason.

Dr Pyramid Head

Aug 16, 2011
Back when I was five, my parents used to play Diablo. Something about exploring subterranean catacombs with a trusty weapon just kinda... stuck.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Sonic the Hedgehog had a huge impact on me, as did a few Amiga games: Chaos Engine, Project X, Moonstone
Final Fantasy 7-9 and MGS also left a mark but after a hiatus away from games my mother was entrusted with a 2nd hand Xbox one of her friends had given her to look after, her husband was terrible for looking for his Xmas presents so my mum agreed to store it our place.

Because the console was 2nd hand, I was allowed to have a go and see if it was any good.
I had fallen out of love with gaming but one day, not long before Xmas I was bored and gave it a go.

I loaded up the only game that came with it, Halo and by the time I'd crash landed in my escape pod on the ring's surface I was smitten, to this day Halo is one of my all time favourites and the memories I have of playing the series are some of my best gaming memories ever.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Front Mission 3
Not to say I wasn't into gaming before, but Front mission 3 made it all real! THat game defined me as a gamer and even now in every game i like i find some elements from Front mission 3...