The Gamecube Adapter

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
What happened? Seriously. Look at this.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwii+u+gamecube+adapter&_nkw=wii+u+gamecube+adapter&_sacat=0

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-GameCube-Adapter-Wii-U/dp/B00L3LQ1FI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1416844244&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+u+gamecube+controller+adapter

After what happened with the Wii, how could Nintendo drop the ball again? You can't find these things anywhere, and good luck if you wanted to run a tournament in the next month. Does anyone know why this happened at all?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
The Apple BOOM said:
What happened? Seriously. Look at this.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwii+u+gamecube+adapter&_nkw=wii+u+gamecube+adapter&_sacat=0

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-GameCube-Adapter-Wii-U/dp/B00L3LQ1FI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1416844244&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+u+gamecube+controller+adapter

After what happened with the Wii, how could Nintendo drop the ball again? You can't find these things anywhere, and good luck if you wanted to run a tournament in the next month. Does anyone know why this happened at all?
I do not understand. There seems to be...an adapter that allows multiple controllers to be plugged in or something. That's what I can gather from seeing the...well, adapters that seem to be there for multiple controllers to be plugged in. Care to elaborate?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
That's pricey for an adapter.
I was expecting it would be like 15? or something, because you also have to get the controlls.
I was never going to get it anyway, unless my friends really started cramping in, and even then I'd most likely tell them to get it for me for my Bday or something :p
But that's really pricey, for me at least.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
The single adapters from the no name brand aren't too expensive and if you get the nintendo official adapter they aren't too expensive retail we just need to be patient since its all so new and popular.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
aba1 said:
The single adapters from the no name brand aren't too expensive and if you get the nintendo official adapter they aren't too expensive retail we just need to be patient since its all so new and popular.
The single 3rd party adapters aren't adequate. They emulate pro controllers and have significant input lag. The problem is the official one can't be found anywhere.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The ones at Target near me were listed at $22 I think, but of course they didn't have any.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Weaver said:
The ones at Target near me were listed at $22 I think, but of course they didn't have any.
From what Best Buy told me, they never received enough adapters or the bundle versions either. Something's telling me Nintendo didn't manufacture enough of them for the first run, and it's showing in the current prices now. No doubt they are gonna do a second run of them once the game launches in Europe so then the prices will go down. Or, they could keep the run limited to drive up prices more like how the limited manufacturing of GameCube Component Cables went. I have some, but damn were they expensive to get. Makes GameCube games look gorgeous though, even more so than using the Wii and Wii Component Cables if you ask me.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Neronium said:
Weaver said:
From what Best Buy told me, they never received enough adapters or the bundle versions either. Something's telling me Nintendo didn't manufacture enough of them for the first run, and it's showing in the current prices now. No doubt they are gonna do a second run of them once the game launches in Europe so then the prices will go down. Or, they could keep the run limited to drive up prices more like how the limited manufacturing of GameCube Component Cables went. I have some, but damn were they expensive to get. Makes GameCube games look gorgeous though, even more so than using the Wii and Wii Component Cables if you ask me.
Yeah, I also hurt rumors that Nintendo really dropped the ball on supply.
It's a shame, I'd like to use my GC controllers lol.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Weaver said:
Yeah, I also hurt rumors that Nintendo really dropped the ball on supply.
It's a shame, I'd like to use my GC controllers lol.
I'd like to as well, but it's a good thing I didn't preorder the bundle at Best Buy since I wouldn't have gotten Smash on launch day if I had done that. I'd really love to use my GameCube controller as well, but I've gotten used to the Pro Classic controller which is good.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
So it's the Circle Pad Pro all over again. When Nintendo doesn't really want to support an accessory, they just don't make very many.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Relax it's just out of stock and other ppl selling it. If it was the main one there would of been prime on it for me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
So it's the Circle Pad Pro all over again. When Nintendo doesn't really want to support an accessory, they just don't make very many.
I don't know, have they supported any accessories well in recent history? I can't think of a Nintendo accessory we haven't had to scramble for, though admittedly I didn't buy a Wii U. I just remember shortages on pretty much any Wii accessory.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
WeepingAngels said:
I don't know, have they supported any accessories well in recent history? I can't think of a Nintendo accessory we haven't had to scramble for, though admittedly I didn't buy a Wii U. I just remember shortages on pretty much any Wii accessory.
I remember that when I bought a Wii U Pro Controller I had to buy a white one because it was the last one they had in stock but I don't know if they are hard to find.

It sounds like Nintendo has supply problems.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Damn that is a steep price... got mind pre ordered from Gamestop for a measly $16. So I imagine they didn't produce enough so they've become a rare commodity until more get manufactured.

Essentially it's the WiiU Pro Controller situation again... why A. are they hard to find and B. is the Japanese version $20 less than the US version Nintendo? Pls, I'd like to play Bayonetta on SOMETHING viable that doesn't murder my wallet and thumbs.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, it sucks that Nintendo is so bad at predicting how much to make of anything. Seriously, how do they always underestimate demand so badly?

On the plus side, the adapter works quite well. I spent Saturday playing the new Smash at a friend's house and he'd managed to get the adapter and 4 of the new gamecube controllers and everything worked fantastic.

Question for anyone knowledgeable - can you hook up 2 of the adapters to the WiiU to play 8 person Smash or does it only recognize one adapter?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If they knew it would have this much demand, I'd bet they don't want too may being sold because they want to sell more Pro controllers and also don't want owners of the GC adapter whining about how it only works on Smash Bros. (It's still dirty/stupid of them whether they underestimated demand or not.)
Dirty Hipsters said:
Question for anyone knowledgeable - can you hook up 2 of the adapters to the WiiU to play 8 person Smash or does it only recognize one adapter?
Yes, two adapters will work. Just have fun without USB ports (or USB hubs with power adapters coming out of the wall). Woe be to anyone who bought a 8GB console and USB HDD and downloaded the game to the HDD. Here [http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry10.html] is a list of ever controller combination compatible with Smash 4.