The Gamecube is turning 10 on Nov 18th

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
Well, it's almost a full decade since the Purple Lunchbox was released, and I felt that the Escapist should do an article in it. It was considered a failure due to the release date, bizarre controller, "mediocre" launch lineup and that it looked ugly. I remember it being my favorite console out of that generation. Great games like Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron 2, Resident Evil, and so on made me pour more hours into the Gamecube than the PS2 and Xbox. Don't get me wrong, the other two also had spectacular games which I've played at great length and detail, but I distinctly remember having the most fun factor.

TL;DR The Escapist should do an article on this! List your favorite games from the Gamecube!
Thank you for reading

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
It's already turning ten, I feel old now. Seems like just yesterday I was only playing Windwaker for the first time. Sadly I never used my Gamecube much, there where a lot of great games for it I never got to play. The thing introduced me to Animal Crossing, which continues to eat up huge amounts of my time even today.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
Ah, the Gamecube. Now I feel old. Some of my favorite games were on that thing:

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Four Swords
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Pokemon Colosseum and XD
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Resident Evil 4
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Custom Robo
Donkey Konga
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Luigi's Mansion

Then again, it had my least favorite game of all time: Pokemon Channel!

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
The Gamecube had a great selection of games. Tales of Symphonia should be on a list of great games, as well. It's considered by many to be one of the best Tales of games. And is definitely among the best modern jRPGs.

(Yes, I consider Tales of Symphonia to be a modern jRPG. Things aren't considered old school until at least the SNES/Genesis generation for me)

Tales of Symphonia, is for many, better than Final Fantasy X. Both are good in their own ways. But for me I think Symphonia wins out. And it's all around just amazing. It just a good long game with a good lot of plot, character development, and things to do. And if you like Elven racial conflicts in your RPG games, it's a must play.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I wasn't the Gamecube's biggest fan, but it did have some spectacular games. Most notably it has Viewtiful Joe. That game was so much fun and I loved the style of it.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Hmm...same day Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D Land come out...WE SHALL CELEBRATE WITH MELEE!

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
The Gamecube was my childhood and some many of the games I bought for it still hold up to this day (soul cailbur 2, SSBM, F-zero GX, etc.)

And While the handle may have looked bad, it was a godsend for me (because I had to pack up the gamecube every week when to go live with either my mom or dad (divorced parents)).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Looking back, that poor little lunchbox was an incredible console. I never got to have one, but I had tons of friends with them and nearly 100% ed Twilight Princess on one. And it was the last piece of true Nintendium they cranked out, isn't it?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I loved the Gamecube controller so much, it was the best of the generation, and is still so comfortable now.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Can't believe it's been ten years. I'll always have fond memories, there was nothing quite like booting up Metroid Prime, having not played a Metroid game since Super, that was something else.