The Game's Free, But The Guns'll Cost Ya

Aerophyre

Mar 11, 2009
for $500 I could buy a REAL semi automatic AK-47 AND some ammo..... or a completely tricked out xbox 360 with kinect... or a 100% sure to get laid afterward dinner for 2.... or 100,000 WoW gold.... or like at least 30 other things that would give my life significantly more meaning and usefulness than this one addition for a single free game. I must be getting old.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
You know, I'm fine with this. The price tag is so stupidly huge and out of proportion to the "goods" recieved that the only way someone will buy it is... well... Ok, I have no idea why someone would buy it, but someone WILL buy it because whatever you sell online, someone somewhere will want it...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Scytail said:
kebab4you said:
Think extra credit said it best: "You don't see power, you sell convenience"

And who the hell is dumb enough to buy there kid an ingame item for 500$?!
the sort of people who buy their kid their own ipad. or whatever touch screen tablet he happens to be using.
At least an iPad or a tablet has more than one use... and it exists in the physical world.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Aerophyre said:
for $500 I could buy a REAL semi automatic AK-47 AND some ammo..... or a completely tricked out xbox 360 with kinect... or a 100% sure to get laid afterward dinner for 2.... or 100,000 WoW gold.... or like at least 30 other things that would give my life significantly more meaning and usefulness than this one addition for a single free game. I must be getting old.
Good points, but you have to see the irony with mentioning buying WoW gold... and then attributing it to a meaningful, useful purchase.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I built my current computer a few weeks ago for a grand total of $750. The parts were $500. This makes me physically ill, seeing this.

Burck

Aug 9, 2009
$500 to buy a gun that makes the game not fun anymore?

Yeah, probably best to spend your money elsewhere.

However, my intuition tells me that you could probably, although not conveniently, get enough in-game money over time to "buy" "The Kraken".

I sincerely hope no one actually pays money for that thing.

That being said, here's a list of things (pick one) you could spend $500 on instead:

-At least 8 video games (max price of $60 and declining for old/used games)
-Upgrade/Acquire a good graphics card and/or CPU for your computer.
-Two 24 inch monitors (with $100 left)
-500 Tacos.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
James Crook said:
Kair said:
Pay2win is the new major business model after Valve launched the Mannconomy. Other game's have only taken it further than Valve.
Excuse me? Every item in TF2 can be obtained without spending money. They're selling convenience, as Extra Credits stated, but bought items cannot be used for trading, crafting, and have overall less value than a self-crafted or found item.

OT: Heh, way to cater to the sheep Mr developer! Well played. I still can't understand why anyone would buy this. Then again, I don't understand why people buy $700+ tablets either (what's the use of it? it's just an oversized iPod/iPhone/Android phone).
I never said that Valve did true pay2win, but that the mannconomy inspired it.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
yeah they lost their goddamn minds for that much money you can buy something useful. I'm really starting to hope the gaming market crashes so this greedy way of ripping innocent players off ends. 500$ for a piece of fucking data, you wonder why people pirate and hack because of batshit crazy logic bubbles like that.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
That gun seems to have a Similar effect as the Rhyno V!

Its hard to consider $500 a "Micro" transaction, tell the devs to go watch Extra Credits.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So what's more expensive: a $500 gun that beats the game for you or a $70 monocle that does nothing? Think before you answer!

Not G. Ivingname said:

WOW.

That is just...

Everything that is wrong with microtransactions is here.

Buying power.

Buying power at the beginning of the game if you have done NOTHING.

A price that one could buy all the current generation of consoles with some left over to buy a game or two.

This makes Zynga look like a saint.
It's a single player game. If someone wants to pay for it, what is wrong with that? They won't affect your game if you're already playing.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
Burck said:
That being said, here's a list of things (pick one) you could spend $500 on instead:

-At least 8 video games (max price of $60 and declining for old/used games)
-Upgrade/Acquire a good graphics card and/or CPU for your computer.
-Two 24 inch monitors (with $100 left)
-500 Tacos.
I'll take the 500 tacos, no question! Screw my dying computer!

OT: I don't even think this can be taken seriously. Paying $500 to have the (FREE!) game won for you is just stupid! Even if I had $500 spare, no game is so impossible or irritating to play that I need this much help!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The Random One said:
So what's more expensive: a $500 gun that beats the game for you or a $70 monocle that does nothing? Think before you answer!

Not G. Ivingname said:

WOW.

That is just...

Everything that is wrong with microtransactions is here.

Buying power.

Buying power at the beginning of the game if you have done NOTHING.

A price that one could buy all the current generation of consoles with some left over to buy a game or two.

This makes Zynga look like a saint.
It's a single player game. If someone wants to pay for it, what is wrong with that? They won't affect your game if you're already playing.
No, but still, $500 FORE ONE GUN.

How many kinds of stupid must you be?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
kebab4you said:
Think extra credit said it best: "You don't sell power, you sell convenience"

And who the hell is dumb enough to buy there kid an ingame item for 500$?!

Same person who pays $70 for a monocle.

eniac0

Aug 3, 2010
i was gonna say how outraged i am at the 500$ price for a gun, in a game. but then i got thinking.

Gun was originally priced 200$ and clearly, it was selling, and selling well. so it only makes business sense to raise the price. Don't get me wrong, I still think there's a lot of better things to do with 500$ but if there's people stupid enough to spend that money, then the price is right. If that gun still sells well, I'd raise the price again, and kick in a bonus like a free gun! 2 for 1! yeah!!! lets spend 750$

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
I wouldn't mind - actually, I would very much but anyway - the game is dull as ditch water.