The Games of Summer

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
The Games of Summer

The Games of Summer, like the song The Boys of Summer, are all types of cheesy and awesome.

Read Full Article

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Here I was thinking that you were building a convincing argument for spending more time out in the sun, and then you conclude that we should play the best out of a collection of 'meh' games.

Well played, sir, well played.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I'm jamming through Mass Effect one moral decision followed by a tedious gun battle at a time. Bioware's classic, "Save a Kitten or backhand a Nun" moral questions are a bit better in this one but there have still been a few eye rolls. Would you like to a) mock the guy with brittle bone disease or b) tell him you believe in him no matter what.

Also, nice double combo [http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-way-of-the-swayze-how-to-be-a-thoughtful-hunk,1822/] on referencing Patrick Swayze and The Onion simultaneously.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
While the summer may be lacking in games compared to the Fall or Winter, I think you're passing over some of the newer gems that release as well. While the summer is certainly a time to catch up on games missed, some of the more curious titles that may get passed over traditionally become a success, or at least have the fighting chance to be.

If Knights in the Nightmare released at any other time, I wouldn't have the time for it. Other games would be put on top of my queue to play, and I may have skipped it completely. Instead, I got it and was completely shocked of its quality. It takes some time to get into, and it is certainly difficult (though it does include an Easy mode), but it is so creative and unique with the tactical RPG genre that it is incredibly fun and addicting. It's also the first game I gave a rating that WASN'T "rental" in months [http://www.gamertagged.net/index.php/article/review_knights_in_the_nightmare/]. While they are few and far between, there are a few titles that look to stand out this summer that wouldn't otherwise get the opportunity.

Then again, overall your point still stands, as there is usually still time between these releases to give older, cheaper titles a try. I guess the greater point is the summer is just a chance to not only play the mediocre and even terrible, but also to play what would often get ignored during the holiday season.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Summertime, and the gaming is easy
Fish are jumpin', and the life bar is high
One of these mornings, I'm gonna rise a level
So hush little baby, don't you cry

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loves playing mediocre games during the long summer, everyone else thinks I'm crazy when I mention it.

It really is way too hot in Houston, my rubber soles are melting. No, seriously.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I wish Crackdown was released here... I'm getting close to buying Prototype because of that.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
OK, I did a little squee at the reference to the song Summertime. But then, I'm filled with nostalgia for that song.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Clemenstation said:
Here I was thinking that you were building a convincing argument for spending more time out in the sun, and then you conclude that we should play the best out of a collection of 'meh' games.

Well played, sir, well played.
I am slightly surprised by this too. Sure, you may have the opportunity to discover some games you like, which you might have not discovered otherwise. But on the other hand, you're spending your time on generally mediocre games!

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather get a good (audio-)book and melt in the sun if I'm bored.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
KDR_11k said:
I wish Crackdown was released here... I'm getting close to buying Prototype because of that.
You wont be disappointed sir. Prototype is one of the most enjoyable game I've played in a while, especially when you get the whip arm, the blade, and the exoskeleton armour. Plus the story is actually good. If you liked I Am Legend, 28 Days Later, etc., then you'll definitely enjoy it..