The "Gay Accent"

zarguhl

Oct 4, 2010
I realise there is no way to ask this question without offending people, but after seeing this video:
http://youtu.be/PSsaByB5EtM?t=23s

I couldn't help but wonder where this "gay accent" for lack of a better term came from. I have listened to Pentatonix for ages and never thought about whether they are straight or not, but as soon as I heard that, it was obvious they were gay. And I looked it up and turns out they are. Obviously I tried Wikipedia and got: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_lisp

But that doesn't really say anything useful.

The thing is, although it is a stereotype, it is reasonably common. I have met gay guys with completely normal voices, but I've never met a straight guy with that kind of accent. Also I haven't noticed any accent particular to lesbians.

It also makes me wonder if people with that accent are aware of it. Like people obviously know they have an American accent, French accent, etc. Are they aware they talk that way, when did it start? Did they talk that way before they came out, the same time, years after?

Does anyone here have that accent and if so, what are your thoughts?

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I wouldn't call it an accent so much as a sociolect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociolect

It's something you do (usually unconsciously) to fit in with and be identified as part of a particular social group.

So it makes sense that particular speech behaviors (among other behaviors) would become associated with the gay community as they seek ways to identify one another and find solidarity as a group. And because it's a well-known stereotype, it's likely to be adopted by the group because it's what is expected as the norm for that group (especially if they're doing it subconsciously), which confirms and strengthens the stereotype (making it self-perpetuating)

Also, you bring up a good point in terms of lesbians. They do seem to have a lot fewer such group identifiers.
(I believe women in general tend to be much more secure in their sexuality, which could have something to do with it.)
As such, I would tend to classify homosexual men and women generally as two completely distinct groups, and by extension, two distinct speech communities.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I couple of my friends are gay and neither of them have that lisp. They can be a little camp, but one of them actually expressed disdain at a relative of his, who came out and soon after completely changed his mannerisms and voice to the fit the stereotype.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I think a large number of gay men will fly under the radar, being essentially indistinguishable from straight men, and as a result people imagine the community to be composed more disproportionately than it is of those with more stereotypical mannerisms.

Part of it is certainly to serve as an identifier. Gay people have a much smaller pool of potential partners, as well as the added possibility that misidentifying a straight man as gay may cause offence or even trigger violence.

That's not all there is to it, though. I know many non-camp gay people, and also some camp straight ones. There's overlap. Personally, I sometimes dislike the accent/sociolect (I'm mostly gay myself) because it seems to set us apart from everybody else.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Suprisingly common in Britain, but mostly just in fat teenaged boys raised by materialistic, equally stupid teenage girls. /rant about the blasphemes of the new generation

I think because it's a common stereotype, some people take it on to avoid instances of "gay panic". Like that guy who shot a really old guy for trying to get a blowjob from the guy. Said old guy was an insanely-right wing family lawyer, or something like that. Gay panic indeed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BeeGeenie said:
IThey do seem to have a lot fewer such group identifiers.
In terms of speech? Are you serious? I mean, they don't have "gay lisp," but they tend to have their own identifiers. And I don't think it's any fewer.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
zarguhl said:
I realise there is no way to ask this question without offending people, but after seeing this video:
http://youtu.be/PSsaByB5EtM?t=23s

I couldn't help but wonder where this "gay accent" for lack of a better term came from. I have listened to Pentatonix for ages and never thought about whether they are straight or not, but as soon as I heard that, it was obvious they were gay. And I looked it up and turns out they are. Obviously I tried Wikipedia and got: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_lisp

But that doesn't really say anything useful.

The thing is, although it is a stereotype, it is reasonably common. I have met gay guys with completely normal voices, but I've never met a straight guy with that kind of accent. Also I haven't noticed any accent particular to lesbians.

It also makes me wonder if people with that accent are aware of it. Like people obviously know they have an American accent, French accent, etc. Are they aware they talk that way, when did it start? Did they talk that way before they came out, the same time, years after?

Does anyone here have that accent and if so, what are your thoughts?
It is interesting, and bunch of people are talking about sociolects, which is pretty much where my money is. However I did go to highschool with a guy who was totally straight (according to the girls who slept with him) and had a very noticeable lisp, so sometimes, it just happens y'know?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I remember a gay guy at work hated the "gay lisp" and wouldn't date anyone who used one.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
As someone said, it's likely a sociolect.

I know a guy who talks like that. Funny thing is, I knew him before he outed himself as gay and he didn't talk in that specific way at all before.

Honestly, I never asked him directly. But I'd guess it does help people to more easily identify with others who share the same sexual interests. Something which isn't easy to do otherwise.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Frankly, I think that it is purely an attempt to get attention. I have never met a gay guy with the lisp who didn't love getting attention for being gay, especially the bad kind of attention. They loved to make people uncomfortable and fight with people about it.

Feb 28, 2008
Weaver said:
I remember a gay guy at work hated the "gay lisp" and wouldn't date anyone who used one.
Exactly me. I find the mincing, flamboyant stereotype to be highly unattractive. Unfortunately people who don't conform to this generally slip under the radar for obvious reasons. Rather a conundrum ...

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
i think there is some truth to this. as i have been mistaken for gay because of my speech, which tends to be a lot higher than most straight males. so most of the time when i as out a girl they often come out saying "wait, you're not gay?", and gay men hit on me very often, which the i have to explain that i am not gay, usually gets me the same reaction. i am never offended at the mix up, but it is rather embarrassing when i get that reaction after asking someone out.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
BeeGeenie said:
In terms of speech? Are you serious? I mean, they don't have "gay lisp," but they tend to have their own identifiers. And I don't think it's any fewer.
It just seems to me that gay men tend to be more overt with that kind of thing. Maybe lesbian speech behaviors are lees obvious.
I'm sure they exist, but I haven't noticed any in my lesbian friends. Do you know of any specifically?

That wiki article about "gay lisp" mentioned lesbians adopting a lower range, but that would still make it hard to tell a lesbian from... an alto. Which would be a problem for me, 'cause I find a sultry alto voice darn sexy.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I've known some gay people who have it, and some who don't. I get the feeling that it's just something you pick up gradually from the people you're around the most, kinda like a southern accent.

Personally I find it fairly obnoxious sounding, but if it helps gay people identify and find one another then good for them.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Honestly, I know two gay men who use that accent in a parody of gayness, as well as mocking the idea of familial abuse and so on; "Mummy, I'm a pretty girl, yes?". But I've met a few gay fellows who do act like that, as well as a surprising amount of straight men who would be offended if you were gay and tried to hit on them ("No, I'm straight, but thank yooooou!")

They're pretty hilarious, actually, but with you just talk to them, you wouldn't know they were gay.

Someone Depressing said:
Suprisingly common in Britain, but mostly just in fat teenaged boys raised by materialistic, equally stupid teenage girls. /rant about the blasphemes of the new generation
No, you're not wrong, I used to hang around with a group of friends where two of the girls actively called themselves "fag-hags" (meaning they like their men gay... which is counter-productive, surely?) and they would actively encourage the gay kid at the table to speak in that manner. It was... an interesting two years.

No, I was never one of the popular kids.

I think because it's a common stereotype, some people take it on to avoid instances of "gay panic". Like that guy who shot a really old guy for trying to get a blowjob from the guy. ... Gay panic indeed.
Wasn't that 'American Beauty'? ;)

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I'm a gay guy and I don't talk like this as far as I know. I have my campy moments, but not all the time. I haven't actually known any other people who speak like this either, and I've known quite a few gay men in recent years. The only one who sort of does is much older. Maybe it's because I live in Canada? Gay people get a lot less discrimination here. So I think it might have something to do with places where people put a greater emphasis on it. I don't know.

As for what I think of it, I don't mind it too much, and it wouldn't be completely unflattering as it is for many other gay men who aren't like that. I think it shows a certain level of confidence to talk like that. But then it depends on the person. Sometimes it can come off as obnoxious.

BeeGeenie said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
BeeGeenie said:
It just seems to me that gay men tend to be more overt with that kind of thing. Maybe lesbian speech behaviors are lees obvious.
I'm sure they exist, but I haven't noticed any in my lesbian friends. Do you know of any specifically?

That wiki article about "gay lisp" mentioned lesbians adopting a lower range, but that would still make it hard to tell a lesbian from... an alto. Which would be a problem for me, 'cause I find a sultry alto voice darn sexy.
Generally lesbians are stereotyped as being butch and having very deep, masculine voices, which not only isn't true as lesbians are often either of the butch variety or extremely feminine (I guess similarly to how there are some gay men such as "bears" who are extremely masculine), but also even those generalizations don't tend to apply these days. I would say it has to do with lesbians generally being more accepted than gay men, similar to what I said above about Canada. I think as people are less discriminated against for their sexuality, the less they'll try to form an identity entirely based around it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yup, one of my flatmates during my second year of Uni had that accent and he was also gay too. Honestly the accent kind of remind me of that Will and Grace character (I apologise if I'm sterotyping).

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I've always wanted some sort of answer for this.

From my own experiences, I've known guys who fit all of the gay stereotypes but were in denial about their own sexuality, and actively pursuing female love-interests, but still had the 'accent' before coming to terms with their homosexuality.

I don't for a second believe it's 'inherited', but how can someone - who themselves doesn't think/accept they are gay - pick up the 'accent'?

CONFUSE.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I am gay and don't speak with a lisp. I am not even able imitate the lisp; then again I sort forgot how the lisp sounds like. My voice is not naturally have a lisp and I never seen any reason why I would change the way I speak.