The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race

Yahtzee contemplates the potential fallout from elitism in PC and console gaming.

Read Full Article

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Call me a traditionalist, but why the heck Microsoft and Sony are tearing up the core strengths of their consoles continues to elude me. However, I think Yahtzee's view of humans is kinda distorted. There really is the demographic he doesn't believe in.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Hm, I'm still more interested in PS4 than PC. Console is supposed to be - no settings and no fiddling around required. Put the game in and play. As for xbox, MS consoles were shit, are shit and will be shit and I don't really give a shit.
Well, shit that's a lot of shit in one post.

May 14, 2013
As much as I like glorious PC gaming mustard race, I've recently convinced myself to use the money I set aside for next-gen consoles to instead buy a 3ds and a bunch of games for it. I really don't see myself regretting the purchase anytime soon, especially as E3 comes closer and we prepare ourselves for the looming next-gen apocalypse.

Oh, you don't know why it's called the Mustard race? Because consoles can't Ketchup. I'll show myself out.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
I've had Bertha's experience, but with Elder Scrolls. And I have to agree with everything else said. Apply this Microsoft 'logic' to any other product. How would that go? 'I'm sorry, you have to get permission from Honda before selling your old Civic, and then give them a cut of your asking price.' Seriously?

On a side note, Yahtzee reminds me of the kind of guy in a bar I would despise, right up to the moment he was inside me. It must be some perfect combination of extreme intelligence and asshole factor. I lol'd hard at 'kill one of the hostages'.

abebly

Feb 28, 2013
Considering videogames are a luxury item, it makes sense that many of their users are elitists.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:
Hm, I'm still more interested in PS4 than PC. Console is supposed to be - no settings and no fiddling around required. Put the game in and play.
This used to be my main reason for sticking with a console, but if you've got a decent pc (doesn't have to be high end, god knows mine isn't) there really isn't anything like the install/set up hassle there used to be. If I buy a game from Steam or GOG I just hit one button and it installs with really no further input from me.

Older games can be a slightly different story, but with a little looking around on the net I can find ways to run just about anything.

Jan 12, 2012
"Already triple-A games are so expensive to create that developers are creatively stifled and even the highest-profile releases routinely lose money, but obliviously the next-gen consoles crank the technology dial up even further, adding a few more hazardous rungs to the ladder leading into the big boys' treehouse. Making the usual demands that the games crowbar in some use of whatever hardware gimmick they have deluded themselves into thinking is a selling point."

Beautifully put. It saddens me watching Squeenix pour money into making beautiful models and skyboxes rather than being able to invest that time and money into the game itself, and they're still not making a profit. And are there no executive who remember the Eyetoy? Gimmicks are just another hoop for developers to jump through, and not one that often adds anything good to the experience.

Pink Apocalypse said:
I've had Bertha's experience, but with Elder Scrolls. And I have to agree with everything else said. Apply this Microsoft 'logic' to any other product. How would that go? 'I'm sorry, you have to get permission from Honda before selling your old Civic, and then give them a cut of your asking price.' Seriously?

On a side note, Yahtzee reminds me of the kind of guy in a bar I would despise, right up to the moment he was inside me. It must be some perfect combination of extreme intelligence and asshole factor. I lol'd hard at 'kill one of the hostages'.
I call it 'the fedora factor'. I am instinctively repulsed by the people who wear them, but ever once in a long while someone pulls it off.

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
Scow2 said:
Call me a traditionalist, but why the heck Microsoft and Sony are tearing up the core strengths of their consoles continues to elude me. However, I think Yahtzee's view of humans is kinda distorted. There really is the demographic he doesn't believe in.
...I also refuse to believe that people exist who skype while watching a trailer while watching a movie while playing a game, and do so via voice commands and waving their hands because remote controls are just TOO DIFFICULT.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
It's not just PC, I've also seen the 'Glorious Master Race' thing stolen by Android users.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
You want to read the Iliad? How quaint. Unfortunately, your new BookTM doesn't support software written for the ScrollTM. We are considering releasing the HD collector's edition with commentary, entitled "Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye"* if consumer demand is high enough.

* A little joke for any medievalists out there. This was the 1473 retelling of the Iliad and the first book printed in English.

Yx0que

May 20, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
Hm, I'm still more interested in PS4 than PC. Console is supposed to be - no settings and no fiddling around required. Put the game in and play. As for xbox, MS consoles were shit, are shit and will be shit and I don't really give a shit.
This is how it used to be, back in the PS2-era. But PC-games took the feedback and with stuff like GOG and Steam, it's never been easier to install new software (older games do take some fiddling). At the same time, consoles moved in the opposite direction and the experience became less streamlined and they introduced installing content and online passes.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Weird that Yahtzee mentioned the irony of web culture embracing his "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" as a meme without considering the irony of his statement when, just today, MovieBob posted an article on how irony in web culture needs to be dialed down a bit.

And, in case you're wondering, these two posts fall more into the category of "Coincidental occurrence" rather than "ironic". At least that's how I see it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
How many PC gamers actually continuously upgrade their machine? It's expensive and pointless. I'm a PC gamer and have friends who are also PC gamers and I never witnessed this phenomenon.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
Doom972 said:
How many PC gamers actually continuously upgrade their machine? It's expensive and pointless. I'm a PC gamer and have friends who are also PC gamers and I never witnessed this phenomenon.
I agree. A good $1000 rig will last for years with, at most, a new video card and an extra hard drive.