The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Give in, Yatzhee, give in!

Going from using a PS3 to a simple gaming laptop was one of the best decision I had ever made. Then when I upgraded to a fancy-shmancy Desktop from Ibuypower, forget about it. Gaming became like 50% more enjoyable with mods and steam and such, and now I get to sit back and laugh at all of the bumbling in news on next-gen consoles instead of being worried about it.

In all seriousness, I believe consoles are necessary; not everyone can afford a 1100$ desktop like I can. I just feel like given the choice PC's (even the cheap ones) beat out consoles in every way.

Dec 16, 2009
Once you take the one of payments out of the equation; peripherals, storage, operating system or certain components (case, power supply) PC gaming isnt so expensive

Graphics card with 1GB GDDR5, motherboard, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 64 bit 3 core 3.2 GB CPU. all probably came to somewhere between £225 - to £250.
I can play every new game released to date on medium settings, can play most on high, and a few on ultra, all at 1080p
to change between those settings, go options> graphics settings pick your setting Click ok>click approve changes
not that difficult, I think anyone on Escapist can do that.

dont have to worry about generations. dont need to update it for a decade if i dont want, just keep lowering those settings. games are a hell of a lot cheaper. keep my back catalog.

Can't remember where i was goin with this... suppose I just dont see where elitist comes from? I'm cheap and lazy lol

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
MidnightRising said:
Loved the article. Really, I thought it was fantastically well written and easily explained my personal problem with the upcoming generation of consoles.

One thing that I find rather humorous is that backwards compatibility is a very, VERY new notion with games. The N64 couldn't play SNES games, the Saturn couldn't play Genesis games, etc. There was a sweet spot in gaming history where newer systems could play older games (with a few exceptions), and it's looking as though that time is passing. It's rather sad.
You're cherry picking there though, the concept isn't "new" to gamers it's been around for 3 decades (longer than many gamers have been alive!): the Atari 7800 could play games for the 2600 (1980s), the Mega Drive/Genesis could play Master System titles (1980s again), most of the GameBoy line has had backwards compatibility (1990s-2000s). The Wii could play GC games and use it's peripherals, the PS2 was fully compatible with PS1 titles. The 360 was compatible (through emulation) with about half the Xbox library, and the first gen PS3s were backwards compatible. And of course PCs can play practically everything ever with a bit of work.

The only major breakpoints in the past were when a format change took place (sometimes not even then): i.e. different shaped cartridges or the move from cartridge to disc. The current gen doesn't have that excuse given that blu-ray drives are fully compatible with DVDs/CDs (not even a change there for Sony) and digitally downloaded games get round the format problem entirely.

I don't think backwards compatibility on the Xbox One would've been overly expensive to implement (especially compared to investments like the mandatory kinect and paying the NFL $400,000,000), even if done through hardware. I'm pretty sure all they would've needed to add was the processor from the 360, which has to be very cheap for MS by now. This would've benefited everyone, including Microsoft because people would've continued to buy downloadable titles from the current gen, especially in the first few years of the next console when titles will be thin on the ground and many developers continue to produce games for the massive consumer base of 360/PS3 owners (which likely also benefits the Wii U).

Lack of BC was a big strike against the Xbox One in my book, because I've accumulated a large library of digital titles (many of them games I've already owned on previous systems). I'm not going to keep rebuying titles every gen, I'd rather get them on pc and keep them for a decade or two. If MS wanted to sell everyone on an all digital future, they should've encouraged people to think that buying titles digitally would benefit them (they already have a complete record after all of all digital purchases on the 360), rather than being stuck on aging (unreliable) hardware.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
LordTerminal said:
"A top-of-the-range desktop PC costs a lot more, but I wouldn't just be paying to buy into the new games club. I'd be paying for an entire history of games, safely filed away on GOG.com and the Steam listings."
No it's still not worth it Yahtzee. Not when it costs thousands of dollars for a man to accomplish. Shame on you and everyone who agrees with this. I'd like my games to be affordable without having to buy a bunch of random pieces that cost the price of an actual console.

Forget PC, it's the handheld market that's the true master race.
I can't tell if you just missed the point by all of the miles or not...

Just in case you ARE serious, I'll repeat this for the billionth time: Each computer component does not cost as much as a brand spanking new console. If they do, you're doing life wrong.

Hyakunin Isshu

May 2, 2011
Lord! I don't even know where to start with old Ben Croshaw! For One thing, he keeps boxing in Sony with Microsoft, as if Sony is going to ever block used games. Sony said they won't! Get your facts straight. Sony may or may not do something about used games in the future, but they didn't say anything yet, so stop attacking them, as if they did!

And secondly, he's wrong on every point. From games being more expensive to create, to "we always had backwards compatibility back in my day" He is mostly wrong.

In other words, we really, really, *really* need new consoles, for a fresh new start and for new ideas to be made. Period.

P.S. about that stupid Bertha, what if Bertha got Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U instead? If Bertha wanted to play Mass Effect 1 or 2, then.... well then you would need a PS3/360 to play them all, wouldn't you?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Scow2 said:
Call me a traditionalist, but why the heck Microsoft and Sony are tearing up the core strengths of their consoles continues to elude me. However, I think Yahtzee's view of humans is kinda distorted. There really is the demographic he doesn't believe in.
Yes, the demographic exists, but I can't see why they are going after them.
As Jim, and others, have brought up, there are other (sometimes cheaper) devices that do the same things (other than playing games) that the X-box one says it can do, and a lot of them do those things better than the Xbone(Not mocking, just think the fake name is cooler).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Mr. Q said:
Weird that Yahtzee mentioned the irony of web culture embracing his "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" as a meme without considering the irony of his statement when, just today, MovieBob posted an article on how irony in web culture needs to be dialed down a bit.

And, in case you're wondering, these two posts fall more into the category of "Coincidental occurrence" rather than "ironic". At least that's how I see it.
this is the Internet; how often does anything meant to be "ironic" come across that way?

TheNarrator

Feb 12, 2010
To me, PC gaming has always been about freedom, about actually owning your system. You can do with a PC whatever you please, no one, including the manufacturers of the parts of your computer, can tell you what you can or cannot do with it. Consoles are cheaper, yes, but that's because you sell your freedom. Whenever PC gamers go on about how good their graphics are or how everyone who plays on a console is a dirty casual, I feel vicarious shame, because all they accomplish is putting people off PC gaming while not actually communicating the most important advantage of the platform.

I may be a bit fundamentalist in this, I would still prefer PC gaming even if it had worse graphics and fewer good games and was five times as expensive and regularly break, because I just can't feel comfortable with tying myself so closely to one manufacturer. The manufacturer of the hardware should not have any say in what software runs on its platform, and it shouldn't get any royalties from sold software either. That's plain and simple vendor lock in, which is anticompetitive.

Clifford Beasley

Apr 18, 2012
I haven't been able to get a console due to lack of room for a TV since the PS2. I've found that I have really only missed replaying some games. Most of the console exclusives haven't sold me on any console. This coming generation just sounds like trying to sell a dream machine that just gives you nightmares. I actually got a free Xbox 360 from my mom's boyfriend's brother when he moved. All it has is the power cord. It's currently sitting upside down on my floor because I found out to stream Netflix on a Xbox 360 you had to be a Live Gold subscriber. I said screw that since all it was going to do was be used by my grandfather to watch westerns on occasionally. Wish I got a PS3 instead.

As someone that grew up with an original NES it is pretty sad to see the state of things these days. I can now say things that start with "back in my day" about gaming. Blockbuster is almost dead because of streaming and Redbox. Soon you won't be able to rent games it seems. You won't be able to play your old console games with the quality of the parts in them. It will be interesting to see if 360s get to a point where used ones are rare enough for them to go for more than they originally were worth. Sorry, sort of rambled on there. Pretty much I'm just happy I like the games for PCs and I have a good PC. Maybe now we can stop dumbing down games so they can be on consoles too.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
Doom972 said:
How many PC gamers actually continuously upgrade their machine? It's expensive and pointless. I'm a PC gamer and have friends who are also PC gamers and I never witnessed this phenomenon.
A lot of people tend to rather over do the amount of problems they're going to face on a PC. The amount of times I see console players list "drivers" specifically as a reason for avoiding PC gaming is baffling.
Drivers?

You mean, the things you download off most manufacturer sites with a "click here to auto-detect" button, install and restart?

The things that take five minutes to update?

THAT'S why people are avoiding PCs?

Uh.

Um.

Dec 16, 2009
Hyakunin Isshu said:
And secondly, he's wrong on every point. From games being more expensive to create, to "we always had backwards compatibility back in my day" He is mostly wrong.
I think you need to see what this guy said;

Anti-Robot Man said:
the concept isn't "new" to gamers it's been around for 3 decades (longer than many gamers have been alive!): the Atari 7800 could play games for the 2600 (1980s), the Mega Drive/Genesis could play Master System titles (1980s again), most of the GameBoy line has had backwards compatibility (1990s-2000s). The Wii could play GC games and use it's peripherals, the PS2 was fully compatible with PS1 titles. The 360 was compatible (through emulation) with about half the Xbox library, and the first gen PS3s were backwards compatible. And of course PCs can play practically everything ever with a bit of work.

The only major breakpoints in the past were when a format change took place (sometimes not even then): i.e. different shaped cartridges or the move from cartridge to disc. The current gen doesn't have that excuse given that blu-ray drives are fully compatible with DVDs/CDs (not even a change there for Sony) and digitally downloaded games get round the format problem entirely.

I don't think backwards compatibility on the Xbox One would've been overly expensive to implement (especially compared to investments like the mandatory kinect and paying the NFL $400,000,000), even if done through hardware. I'm pretty sure all they would've needed to add was the processor from the 360, which has to be very cheap for MS by now. This would've benefited everyone, including Microsoft because people would've continued to buy downloadable titles from the current gen, especially in the first few years of the next console when titles will be thin on the ground and many developers continue to produce games for the massive consumer base of 360/PS3 owners (which likely also benefits the Wii U).
im sure the Commodore C64 titles could play on the C128. if you want to add that top the list

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
lacktheknack said:
You mean, the things you download off most manufacturer sites with a "click here to auto-detect" button, install and restart?

If your OS just doesn't do it as a matter of automatic system update...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
ms401 said:
>PC GAMING
>EXPENSIVE

BWAAHHAHA WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAID NIGGA

LEARN TO BUILD

A PC IS CHEAPER THEN A PS3

LEARN
TO
BUILD
I know you're probably going to get banned, but this is now one of my favourite posts on the Escapist forums. Thank you.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hyakunin Isshu said:
Lord! I don't even know where to start with old Ben Croshaw! For One thing, he keeps boxing in Sony with Microsoft, as if Sony is going to ever block used games. Sony said they won't! Get your facts straight. Sony may or may not do something about used games in the future, but they didn't say anything yet, so stop attacking them, as if they did!

In other words, we really, really, *really* need new consoles, for a fresh new start and for new ideas to be made. Period.

P.S. about that stupid Bertha, what if Bertha got Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U instead? If Bertha wanted to play Mass Effect 1 or 2, then.... well then you would need a PS3/360 to play them all, wouldn't you?
How does one platform change ruin his Assassin's Creed example?

Like... at all?

It's unfortunate that Mass Effect only has 3 on a Nintendo console, but's it's equally as unfortunate that Assassin's Creed DOES have the previous games on the previous console but they can't be played on the new one.

And of those two situations, guess which is easier to fix?

Also, about the new ideas that consoles would allow... so far, I hate all of them. That's a bad sign, don't you think?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
I agree strongly with you, Ben, in that I was really hesitant about joining the PC gaming community due to the seemingly insurmountable obstacle of the, well, "community". But it seems in the last handful of years or so (with the rise of games that can play exactly like their console counterparts with an xbox 360 controller on PC and local co-op on PC) a new generation of PC gamers is rising that's friendly and accessible.

I am part of that generation and soon you will be too. While the tired stereotype of the guy who HAS to have a Core I7 (overclocked to 90000 thz or something) with 3 GTX Titans (also overclocked) so he can get 100+ FPS on Crysis 3 running on 9 monitors at 4k resolution each and will undoubtedly complain LOUDLY if it ever drops below 60 FPS may still be here (I already see one in this thread, not naming any names), it seems those of us who are perfectly willing and happy to handhold newcomers to help our community grow and be a positive one is growing.

I'm in it.
My friends are in it.
My brother's in it (just converted him in a nice, friendly way as opposed to yelling "NOOB" and calling him a console-scrub).

Soon you will be in it. Let's overpower the old generation and usher in an era of happy, helping PC Gamers as opposed to the kind that will laugh at you if you're running anything less than the aforementioned rig.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
rofltehcat said:
PC gaming may be more expensive in the short run but in the long run it is much cheaper.
Actually I would say Steam sales make PC gaming MORE expensive XD you end up spending more than you would've cuz you keep thinking "BUT I CAN'T PASS UP THIS DEAL!"

this is only partially exaggerated :p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Woodsey said:
Doom972 said:
How many PC gamers actually continuously upgrade their machine? It's expensive and pointless. I'm a PC gamer and have friends who are also PC gamers and I never witnessed this phenomenon.
A lot of people tend to rather over do the amount of problems they're going to face on a PC. The amount of times I see console players list "drivers" specifically as a reason for avoiding PC gaming is baffling.
Drivers?

THAT'S why people are avoiding PCs?

Uh.

Um.
Yeah, exactly. Pops up 4 or 5 times in any given thread on the subject. Saw someone list the process of installing a game as a problem the other day. Not the time it takes to install, but the process of clicking 'next' a few times. Then there's the stuff where people seem to think they break down every 5 minutes.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
And the funny thing is that ever since I heard the term (I think it was on 4chan) I've agreed with it - unironically, since I didn't know the origin of the term.

I've always seen consoles as silly. Pay extra just to be able to play online? What? I already pay for my internet connection, why pay double? Plus I could never figure those controlers out - give me a mouse and keyboard any day. Wait up to ten years for a hardware upgrade that doesn't even really catch up to modern standards? Sure...

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
"Who actually prefer games that are temperamental to get running and that have complicated keyboard interfaces, just because it discourages new or 'casual' players who will in some way taint the entire community with their presence."

That has got to be a VERY small number of PC gamers. Many PC gamers are actually multi-platform gamers, who also own at least one console. I grew up on console but now prefer the PC b/c I am adult with only so much time for games and I don't want to have to buy a separate device just for games. I already do everything else on PC so doing my gaming there is a natural fit.

I also don't think there are nearly as many issues getting games to run, especially today with services like Steam, GOG.com installers, and Windows 7 as a platform. It is very rare that I run into any kind of issue getting something to run, provided I meet the stated requirements.

In any case I have always been open to the idea of getting a console again but nothing I saw the PS4 of Xbox One tempted me in the slightest.

So part of the Glorious PC Gaming Master race I shall stay.

EDIT: The whole "complicated keyboard interface" thing is just what you are used to. I have seen console only gamers become at least competent on keyboard and mouse controls, having never used them, in a matter of a couple hours. Like so many things it is just a matter of getting used to it.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Yellowbeard said:
Doom972 said:
I agree. A good $1000 rig will last for years with, at most, a new video card and an extra hard drive.
A decent $1000 rig should, with a little care and TLC, outlast a console gen by far.