The god of the atheists.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Now, let me get some things out of the way, I am what can be considered as a militant atheist, I think religion is a bronze aged mythology scar on the face of modern society, and I'd gladly be rid of it. Also, this thread is completely MY opinion, so don't try and second guess or correct my way of thinking. I just wanted to share what I believe for those of you who may care, if you don't... leave.

Being a man of science it leaves a lot of room for guess work, if you too are a man of science you will know that the start of the universe, or the big bang is a complete fucking mystery. Sure, we think we might know how it happened, but we don't know the circumstances that caused it to happen, and we may not ever know.

Of course, theists believe that it was created by some sort of all powerful, all loving war god. And as an atheist, science loving person whom is open to all sorts of new scientific ideas, I'm going to have to leave room for a 'being' sparking the big bang in my list of 'pending to be approved' theories.

All the physics ever devised has trouble explaining just exactly how the universe started. I mean, it's still early days in that field, we have a lot longer to go on it, but it still leaves open the fact that it could of been done by a 'thing.'

Now notice I'm not using the term 'god.' Because technically, the thing that may have created the universe certainly isn't the Christian god, nor the Islamic god (So people can't say, HA, WE TOLD YOU THERE WAS A GOD! Yeah, but it wasn't the one you thought was real. Your one is still theory.) He does not govern this planet, he is not omnipresent, and he probably doesn't even know that the milky way galaxy even exists. This 'gods' only contribution to the universe, is the universe itself. Why is it not a very real theory that the thing that created the universe is as powerless, and as ignorant as humanity itself? If a 'god' did create the universe, why the fuck would he even care about us? Why would he lord over us in ways SO subtle, that we have to have an entire philosophical debates on a book written 2000 years ago that literally contradicts himself?

What I'm saying is that the big bang throws up so many questions. Many questions that can be answered with complicated physics, so whats to stop the physics bringing up an answer like my theory? That a being started the big bang. It's not impossible, no matter how atheist you are. And remember, this being that created the universe probably would have no influence over it what so ever, that's to say if it even exists in the universe anymore, it could be in a totally different dimension!

So what do you think escapists, do you think this theory could hold up? Just a little thought I had a while ago.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I think any hypothesis of what happened pre our universe is meaningless speculation since it's like trying to remember before you where conceived.

also minus points for misuse of the word theory. what you are mooting is a hypothesis since there is no evidence in support of it.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Hoplon said:
I think any hypothesis of what happened pre our universe is meaningless speculation since it's like trying to remember before you where conceived.

also minus points for misuse of the word theory. what you are mooting is a hypothesis since there is no evidence in support of it.
So why are the current big bang hypothesis's officially called theories then? And I don't really care that I misused the term theory, you got the gist of what I meant, so therefore the function in which the language was created to do was completed.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Because they are talking about what happened after the big bang, for which there exists evidence, background microwave radiation for instance.

What you are doing hypothesising with out hope of evidence, which is tantamount to religion.

Arontala said:
This made me laugh. Outstanding.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I think you're talking about pantheism.

And yeah, not falsifiable. Science has nothing to say about it. It's possible to speculate, but not really possible to prove...yet.

Odd Owl

Oct 21, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
Now, let me get some things out of the way, I am what can be considered as a militant atheist, I think religion is a bronze aged mythology scar on the face of modern society, and I'd gladly be rid of it. Also, this thread is completely MY opinion, so don't try and second guess or correct my way of thinking. I just wanted to share what I believe for those of you who may care, if you don't... leave.

Being a man of science it leaves a lot of room for guess work, if you too are a man of science you will know that the start of the universe, or the big bang is a complete fucking mystery. Sure, we think we might know how it happened, but we don't know the circumstances that caused it to happen, and we may not ever know.

Of course, theists believe that it was created by some sort of all powerful, all loving war god. And as an atheist, science loving person whom is open to all sorts of new scientific ideas, I'm going to have to leave room for a 'being' sparking the big bang in my list of 'pending to be approved' theories.

All the physics ever devised has trouble explaining just exactly how the universe started. I mean, it's still early days in that field, we have a lot longer to go on it, but it still leaves open the fact that it could of been done by a 'thing.'

Now notice I'm not using the term 'god.' Because technically, the thing that may have created the universe certainly isn't the Christian god, nor the Islamic god (So people can't say, HA, WE TOLD YOU THERE WAS A GOD! Yeah, but it wasn't the one you thought was real. Your one is still theory.) He does not govern this planet, he is not omnipresent, and he probably doesn't even know that the milky way galaxy even exists. This 'gods' only contribution to the universe, is the universe itself. Why is it not a very real theory that the thing that created the universe is as powerless, and as ignorant as humanity itself? If a 'god' did create the universe, why the fuck would he even care about us? Why would he lord over us in ways SO subtle, that we have to have an entire philosophical debates on a book written 2000 years ago that literally contradicts himself?

What I'm saying is that the big bang throws up so many questions. Many questions that can be answered with complicated physics, so whats to stop the physics bringing up an answer like my theory? That a being started the big bang. It's not impossible, no matter how atheist you are. And remember, this being that created the universe probably would have no influence over it what so ever, that's to say if it even exists in the universe anymore, it could be in a totally different dimension!

So what do you think escapists, do you think this theory could hold up? Just a little thought I had a while ago.
Of course this theory (or hypothesis, or whatever) can hold up, just as well as theistic evolution. Your theory is neither falsifiable nor verifiable, nor is it based upon observable phenomona. Therefore, it has nothing to do with science. Welcome to religion my friend! Do you have a name for yours?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Wait. If I'm reading this right (I'm making no promises that I am), it looks as though you're only taking whatever triggered the creation of the universe and stamping the label "God" on it.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
As I say when anything that comes up that relies on physics that doesn't exist yet, "we're working on it, pipe down!"

We can't even get past the Planck epoch yet, but if the nice university people are very nice and let me do a PhD on quantum information in black holes then I'll take a shot at unifying quantum field theory and general relativity. Until then, all bets on how the big bang actually happened are off.

Also, quite often theory does get misused, but you know what, string hypothesis doesn't really sound as good.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Robert Ewing said:
You are saying "god" though, just a shit and lazy one.

I have been watching a tonne of anti atheist videos on youtube and to be honest most are the funniest videos I have ever seen! A lot of the are named things like "1 question all atheists cannot answer" and they are super easy to answer, I think the funniest one is this guy!

Which came first god or nothing? If god came first who made god, if nothing came first where did god come from ....

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Robert Ewing said:
Now notice I'm not using the term 'god.' Because technically, the thing that may have created the universe certainly isn't the Christian god, nor the Islamic god (So people can't say, HA, WE TOLD YOU THERE WAS A GOD! Yeah, but it wasn't the one you thought was real. Your one is still theory.)
No, their Gods are very, very far from being acceptable as, at least, scientific theories. They have no facts to support it, and a scientific theory requires facts as it is the explanation as to why something does what it does(for example we know matter attracts matter, AKA gravity exists, and we can prove this, the theory is to explain why this is the case).

With that out of the way, I have no opinion on this at all really. Although I don't see why the Big Bang is such an awaker of more questions? Very, very simplified the Big Bang was an expansion from a singularity, in which everything was collected in - matter, space, time, existence itself really. One of the facts supporting this theory is that we've observed that our universe is still expanding. Or, that's at least what I've come to know it as.
(Don't trust me blindly, my memory is shit and I could be wrong.)

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
*facepalm*
Anyone who knows even the slightest about evolution can answer that one easy.

I think calling anything a god, is just us failing to or being unable to understand something.

reinersailer

Sep 3, 2008
Arranging my ideas about life:

I am so ground to myself, that the games of those Brains that are playing god, are not mine.

I found my way out of my own lies and i dont share the mythomania of godplayers and their believers. I am connected to our central brain, good enough, not to need a brain, that needs a devil, responsible for his mistakes. Maybe some of these brains call me "the devil in Person", but that's not my problem. I think, we all are here to learn understanding other beings, so i can not leave a chance for a misunderstanding by believing something, that someone can not explain to me.

I will tell you something about my sight of love and god.

At first we all were connected to a central brain and there was truth and this is free love. We all were good, when we made mistakes, we learned and corrected them.(Paradise, translated in german is Paradies, this i write "Paar A Dies" back in english: pair A this). With the first lie or misunderstanding some began to believe in a god (yes only one letter less from good) and this brain told its believers, it makes no mistakes and that they only have to believe in it and cutted them so from our first connections. Then some brains wanted to get more than others for less doing for us all (girls, material things and so on). With every wrong information they gave to their believers, they themselves were cut, according to it, from our central connection and our schizophrenic live began. So most of us are believing in something or somebody and live the examples we feel true. We never see how the first lived in love together, what they felt to our world (representing our manifested central brain) and the highest level in goodfeeling (love) we can reach, is the level, this brain has, we believe in.

You see, the best feeling for a woman or man, believing in god, is the feeling of this one, which "makes no mistakes". But the problem is, this is the first mistake. Living these examples through generations let us degenerate to this stupid liars, many of us are now (not knowing about the mechanism, but misusing it). You see what i mean, one point to the next point doubles the mistakes and according to this, leads away from the truth. So, these ones, who are not critical enough, to ask for something, they dont understand, because believing is the easier way, or made uncritical using alcool, drugs or some kind of pills are so far away from love, that they only can understand as right, what their parents or friends live. And when you set at this level the examle, i began on top, you see whats going on in the directions that began under there: All have the same initial point: A Brain misusing the funktionality of our system to use others to live on their expenses.

Yes and we all are lazy and want to live good. So when someone had in his or her youth succes with lies or crying to get something, why should they change this behavior.

Now set someone like this in the starting point of our examle ------- you know whats going on. I think the only way back to love, how it was at first, is to become totally true to oneself, to the next around, and so on and never believing something, that someone explains, until we understand how it works. With one, who can explain and you understand, i guess, in this Moment you feel love and if someone cannot explain what he wants from you, because it lasts to long, to explain, or wants you to believe something you cannot understand, there is not the true love. But dont forget the other side: Explain your conversational partner, what you want or not, until there is no more question. Maybe in such a dialogue, you begin to feel love, you never knew before. When you give up, because it is to much to explain, you know, you dont want love (the same in the other direction).

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
The creation of the universe and life were guided by an energy field. The Force binds us and penetrates us!

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
I beleive that is the deism belief system which is what i say when i am asked on my religious system, tbh im not sure if its the correct definition but it fits my idea.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I always figured that atheists credited the idea of it to the guy/gal that first thought it up like Rastafarians do.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
This is called the cosmological argument for the existence of God, various great thinkers have used it as a basis for their faith (including Christopher Hitchen's enlightenment pal Thomas Hobbes).