The Grand Tour debuts today, what are your thoughts?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'm just finishing up the episode now.

Gotta say, never been a car guy, but I fell in love with Top Gear around the time I got into Doctor Who. I love May, Clarkson and Hammond and their dynamic.

The new show feels like the old Top Gear, just without the restraints. And the cinematography is just breathtaking.

BBC really shot themselves in the foot letting them go.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I always thought the travel sections of the old Top Gear were the best bits, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. I don't have any sort of Amazon sub right now though...

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Made me laugh more than I did when the trio were at Top Gear. Plus Amazon gave them so much more freedom and no more complaints about tax payers money being wasted. The new Top Gear seemed like a committee organised and produced the whole thing. Not much creativity, just meh.

Looking forward to more of The Grand Tour and the trio have the best chemistry on internet television. Well, TV as a whole.

Amazon and Netflix are way ahead of many network and cable channels.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
inu-kun said:
It was great but I dislike 'The American', I hope he doesn't go back the next episodes or at least he gets toned down.
He isn't really that bad. That's mostly Clarkson. And his run up Goodwood is what got him the job.

As for the latest Grand Tour. I like it. Glad the guys are back.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
It was OK, I guess. Not as good as cake, but all right. Good to see them continuing to do what they love.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
It was just about perfect for me. Their humor hasn't changed from when I loved them, their interaction is still the same, and it's just generally wonderful.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Region locking content is a great way of undercutting your market after everyone pirates it. Then of course deciding the interest is lacking because the eventual release numbers are underwhelming due to the really interested audiences having gone around their nonsense.

I mean, the show already has a proven built in audience. so it doesn't need to prove its worth. Its just oblivious nonsense by amazon.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
DudeistBelieve said:
Out of interest, what would you have suggested? He physically attacked somebody. Surely famous people should be held to the same standard as the rest of us plebs.

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
Silvanus said:
Out of interest, what would you have suggested? He physically attacked somebody. Surely famous people should be held to the same standard as the rest of us plebs.
Yes, they should.
Yes, he had to go.
Yes, Top Gear was ruined because of this.

Fortunately The Grand Tour is exactly what fans of "the old" Top Gear (or just Clarkson/Hammond/May fans) wanted. Felt one or two sections fell a little flat, but on the whole it was a thoroughly entertaining return for the trio. Looking forward to the wacky adventures they get up to over the course of the season.

Oh, and as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the cinematography is exemplary. Amazing job.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Either suspend him again or cancel the show flat out.

Top Gear was Clarkson/May/Hammond. What they're calling Top Gear now is just a hollowed husk of a corpse they're keeping on life support out of spite.

Elijin said:
Region locking content is a great way of undercutting your market after everyone pirates it. Then of course deciding the interest is lacking because the eventual release numbers are underwhelming due to the really interested audiences having gone around their nonsense.

I mean, the show already has a proven built in audience. so it doesn't need to prove its worth. Its just oblivious nonsense by amazon.
No one is just subscribing to Amazon for their video content, at least I hope not. I certainly didn't and wouldn't.

That free shipping has been awesome for me this past year working the terrible work hours I do.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I'm not talking about signing up just for the show. I'm talking about the fact the show is only available in 10 countries right now.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Top Gear was Clarkson/May/Hammond. What they're calling Top Gear now is just a hollowed husk of a corpse they're keeping on life support out of spite.
Out of spite? Nonsense. They're hoping to salvage a fraction of the viewer base, the same way hundreds of shows continue after their stars' departure. There's no reasonable way to conclude spite was involved.

If any normal employee in almost any profession physically attacked their coworkers, without provocation or reason, they would not merely be suspended. Celebrities must be held to the same standard as the rest of us. Don't make arbitrary exceptions because you enjoy the content he produces, which is what people are doing.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Out of spite? Nonsense. They're hoping to salvage a fraction of the viewer base, the same way hundreds of shows continue after their stars' departure. There's no reasonable way to conclude spite was involved.

If any normal employee in almost any profession physically attacked their coworkers, without provocation or reason, they would not merely be suspended. Celebrities must be held to the same standard as the rest of us. Don't make arbitrary exceptions because you enjoy the content he produces, which is what people are doing.
I'm not going to argue with you over if he should've been fired. I think it was an objectively poor business decision to lose Clarkson, especially when that meant losing May and Hammond as well. Thats not me cutting them slack because I like their work, that's just common sense. Amazon got a huge score in getting not just 1 but all of them. They may not have the Top Gear IP, but they do now essentially own it's very soul, and the fanbase will follow them.

And Top Gear's continued existence is out of spite. Look how they closed out the last episode with May and Hammond. No fanfare, no look, no thank you. It was a fuck you to them and to the audience, and then they think they can just put a new cast on there and call it Top Gear? No. Top Gear wasn't just a car show, it's 3 idiot middle aged guys acting like morons with each other occasionally talking about cars. They wanted to be moralists? Fine. BBC should have some respect for it's audience, Cancel the show then, not drag it's hollowed out husk on to the stage out of some sick vindictive need to prove you don't need Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

I'm not going to argue with you over if he should've been fired. I think it was an objectively poor business decision to lose Clarkson, especially when that meant losing May and Hammond as well. Thats not me cutting them slack because I like their work, that's just common sense. Amazon got a huge score in getting not just 1 but all of them. They may not have the Top Gear IP, but they do now essentially own it's very soul, and the fanbase will follow them.

And Top Gear's continued existence is out of spite. Look how they closed out the last episode with May and Hammond. No fanfare, no look, no thank you. It was a fuck you to them and to the audience, and then they think they can just put a new cast on there and call it Top Gear? No. Top Gear wasn't just a car show, it's 3 idiot middle aged guys acting like morons with each other occasionally talking about cars. They wanted to be moralists? Fine. BBC should have some respect for it's audience, Cancel the show then, not drag it's hollowed out husk on to the stage out of some sick vindictive need to prove you don't need Clarkson, Hammond and May.
You say they should care about the business side, not the moral side (atleast thats how you come off) but criticize them for trying to salvage the business side.

Seems to me they wanted to keep trying to make money while not supporting a bad guy. Thats something to be commended from a corporation.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Saelune said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

You say they should care about the business side, not the moral side (atleast thats how you come off) but criticize them for trying to salvage the business side.

Seems to me they wanted to keep trying to make money while not supporting a bad guy. Thats something to be commended from a corporation.
Indeed, I do want to get away from the morality of it, because I can't defend Clarkson on that front. What he did was wrong, and he's actually done several wrong things I can't defend.

There is no morality, no question in my mind however that the BBC should of ended Top Gear when Hammond and May wanted to stand by their friend. And theres no question to me that BBC wanted the new Top Gear to be a success not just because of the money. Look at the send off Hammond and May got, go watch that last episode how they ended it. No Goodbyes, no send off, no fanfare, nothing. No even acknowledgement that they were leaving.

And why? May and Hammond weren't the "bad guys", they didn't hurt anyone, but BBC told them to fuck off just the same. Top Gear could of survived without clarkson but losing all 3 of them was a death blow.

ya know, if you're going to do something... do it right. Make a new car show with Chris Evans and Joey from friends, that way it could be it's own thing and not have to be compared to the original, but calling it Top Gear is insulting to the audience and shows how little BBC understands it's brands.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It is almost same old Top Gear, which I did love but over the years it got more and more samey, patched in with attempts at acting and comedy scripting, was hoping for some changes since it is an all new start.
Well at least they killed the "star selling some shit" segment, which was only there for people who don't like car stuff.

I will certainly still pick it over most car shows, but hopefully they think of something new next season.

Nov 19, 2016
DudeistBelieve said:
Saelune said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Indeed, I do want to get away from the morality of it, because I can't defend Clarkson on that front. What he did was wrong, and he's actually done several wrong things I can't defend.

There is no morality, no question in my mind however that the BBC should of ended Top Gear when Hammond and May wanted to stand by their friend. And theres no question to me that BBC wanted the new Top Gear to be a success not just because of the money. Look at the send off Hammond and May got, go watch that last episode how they ended it. No Goodbyes, no send off, no fanfare, nothing. No even acknowledgement that they were leaving.

And why? May and Hammond weren't the "bad guys", they didn't hurt anyone, but BBC told them to fuck off just the same. Top Gear could of survived without clarkson but losing all 3 of them was a death blow.

ya know, if you're going to do something... do it right. Make a new car show with Chris Evans and Joey from friends, that way it could be it's own thing and not have to be compared to the original, but calling it Top Gear is insulting to the audience and shows how little BBC understands it's brands.
DudeistBelieve said:
Saelune said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

You know Clarkson, May and Hammond's run wasn't the original Top Gear right? Also Hammond and May made their bed, they said they'd walk if Clarkson was fired. They chose the assaulter over the victim. So yeah, assholes.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TheMajesticSpaceDuck said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Saelune said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

DudeistBelieve said:
Saelune said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Silvanus said:
DudeistBelieve said:

You know Clarkson, May and Hammond's run wasn't the original Top Gear right? Also Hammond and May made their bed, they said they'd walk if Clarkson was fired. They chose the assaulter over the victim. So yeah, assholes.
I think an asshole is someone who throws their friend under the bus because he's suddenly unpopular and/or did a bad thing, brah.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
As a business decision the BBC needed to keep Top Gear going. It is one of their top selling shows abroad. It's easy to forget now that Top Gear: The Next Generation wasn't a huge hit when it launched, hell James May wasn't even the original third man.

The problem for the BBC is that Top Gear TNG changed over its life, it stopping being a car show and became Clarkson, Hammond, and May. The chemistry between the three was just excellent. The BBC doesn't have the luxury of time to try and recreate that chemistry.

Chris Evans can be a great presenter when he is on his own, his manic style works when he is the focus of the show. He just doesn't work when it is an ensemble piece however, he just doesn't share the limelight well. They also need to pare down the presenting cast to three or four people.

Back to the point of the topic though and The Grand Tour. Well it's just TG:TNG without the branding. It's three guys with great chemistry bumbling about, which is what people want and enjoy from the trio.