The Great Debate

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Not a fan of disabling comment's mainly because while there are a bunch of horrible comment's you're also silencing the few good ones amongst them [like my self].
You also give the impression that you/your particular point/the particular subject of which the video is about can't handle criticism/other ideas which implies that you're/subject is in the wrong.
Also the argument "why bother letting [x]talk/discuss about [y] [x] don't know anything/are wrong about [y]" sounds like a copout answer that can lead to a slippery slope.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
People getting upset about youtubers disabling comments is comparable to people being upset that a television show won't let you post a discussion or argument scrolling beside the tv show.

If you want to talk about it, no one is stopping you, but it is not their job to create a place for you to talk about it.

If you want to talk to the author then send them a message via their account.

If you want to discuss it with other people who viewed the video... Then make your own video response and have comments on, or just make a message board post.

bunji

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah right on, only people who have a place on some site has an opinion worth hearing, the grey masses have no right to be heard, and its not like the voting system makes sure smart comments get to the top.

BS

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
'How will I know who is a ****** and why?'

I cried a little laughing at this panel.

Brilliant guys well done.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
synobal said:
Because some people will be retards is not a good reason to disable the comments on a video in my opinion.
And why not exactly? What is anyone missing out on by a Youtube comments section being disabled? Also, see below.

Gilhelmi said:
Dear God, I just had the horrifying image of a newspaper printing every letter they receive.
And as horrifying as that image might be, those papers would still not be as racist, homophobic and fascistic as the Youtube comments section.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The nature of freedom is that some people will use it do things you don't like. The solution isn't to try to prevent people from doing things you don't like. The solution is to develop your personal tolerance so you aren't offended easily, and also your mental filtering capabilities so you quickly spot and effortlessly discount the trolls. Technology and comment crowd-moderation is also extremely helpful.

To get the insightful, interesting, informative comments you have to wade through waves of crap. If you aren't willing to do that then you can't help elevate the discussion by making sure the "best" comments get the most attention.

When I see comments turned off I see the uploader is afraid of seeing dissenting opinions. Avoiding "lol, rape" is merely the justification for intellectual laziness.

DaRigger420

Jun 26, 2010
Fappy said:
Oh God, this is so true! Youtube is likely the largest collection of stupid people on the internet.
I beg to disagree, dumb YouTube commenters are the second largest group on the net. The largest collection of moronic, off topic and just plain stupid comment posters online would have to go to the folks that post on MSNbc.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm just a viewer on YouTube (never uploaded) but the last panel is the primary reason why I don't take the time to read the comments. Maybe the first ones with the most votes, as on an average I find them to be more insightful/intelligent than the others, but otherwise it really can devolve into crap like that.

And I don't want to waste my time on crap like that.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's not censorship. I laugh at those who think it is.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
After installing the YouTube Herp Derp addon for FireFox, I can honestly say that my YT experience has improved tenfold since.

But in all seriousness. Turning off comments is all good and well but turning off ratings is when someone feels their words have no ground to stand on.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
No but seriously? Why disable comment just because you don't want to HEAR the idiots? You could also disable comment notification. Have the idiots rage and shout on your video and all you have to do is sit back and have youtube ignore them for you. In the end you get the same result and you don't have to wander into the sticky censorship territory. Disabling comments just because the majority will be hateful, vulgar, stupid, unintelligible, unintelligent or spam is the same excuse used by those same people to disable comments.

"Oh let me post up a video about how we should have a theocratic dictatorship and disable the comments because this youtube channel is like my living room and the people that would comment would use profanity which I do not allow in my house."

"Let's upload a conspiracy theory video and disable comments because the people that don't believe it or contradict me are spreading lies and I only want the truth out there."

Some people will argue that youtube comments are anonymous and therefore carry no weight because the shit people say would never be said to someone's face. They can easily be ignored because the majority will be shit. This attitude will eventually result in stifling actual debates that might pop up or simply silencing dissenting voices. Oh sure it's easy to crap on youtube but the same can be said for the escapist or any other forum or site where despite the rules of conduct there is still a large amount of crap.

Think back to for example the early Jimquisition days where the majority of the responses were hateful, vulgar, stupid, unintelligible, unintelligent or spam and they weren't just turned off. What if they had been turned off? What if those 1/10 posts that actually offered suggestions, explanation and analyses of the flaws were ignored all for the sake of not having to read the other 9/10 comments that read something like:

"Who is this fat stupid fuck and why is he on this site with his crappy show regurgitating whatever the community says?"

We wouldn't have our Wednesday poetry jam or our Monday show because the people that didn't talk with their posts would have talked with their views and nobody would have gained anything because nobody would know why the views went down.

Just because you don't want to hear someone tell you that you should be raped is no justification to also silence the person that would tell you why he disagrees with you in a well thought out argument. That is just the excuse for you to avoid any dissenting comments.

redknightalex said:
Also, as others have pointed out, it's not censorship. I laugh at those who think it is.
You have CLEARLY never wandered onto a Creationist channel have you? :D

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The comments in the Protomen videos used to be pretty awesome. People debated, predicted, and discussed the story. And one really popular MLP fanfic brought the Bronies to a certain song... the comments ended up looking like every other YouTube comments section. It made me infinitely sad.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I don't know, when it comes to things like Tropes vs Women well...it just seems like it's the kind of thing that should be debated about. If you can't then...what's the point?

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
I would like to disagree with the premise. Had plenty good quality intellectual debates on youtube comment sections. Met plenty decent people with insight and eloquence. Painting youtube one color wont do anyone any good. Granted, there are many stupid, keyboard heroes - just like any other public forum - but among the cognitively dysfunctional one can find some nice people waiting to be heard.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
There is one general flaw I have with the free speech argument, and that is that no speech is actually being limited. People have been able to criticize Tropes vs. Women just fine without being able to comment on her Youtube page. There will always be forums, blogs, social media, responding Youtube videos and in a worst case scenario email. The issue here isn't about being able to comment, it's about where you can comment and for me, it is really hard to care the someone said that they are reserving their space to not have to hear your opinions.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
bunji said:
Yeah right on, only people who have a place on some site has an opinion worth hearing, the grey masses have no right to be heard, and its not like the voting system makes sure smart comments get to the top.

BS
Considering the two top comments on a video I watched the other day were "Penis" and "Sex", and the video in question was a Let's Play in no way related to or broaching the subject of genitalia or reproduction, I'd have to say that no, 'Top Comments' aren't always 'Smart Comments'.

OT: If I never see another Justin Bieber argument on a Bring Me The Horizon music video, it'll be too soon, so yeah, I welcome disabling Youtube comments.

Aug 1, 2010
It really doesn't matter how inane and idiotic the comments end up being.

Disabling them completely shows weakness. It's just that simple.

Besides, there is no legitimate reason to do such a thing unless you specifically don't want people insulting you.

Turning off ratings is even worse.