The Great Internet Half-Life 3 Hype Poll

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
http://strawpoll.me/1417436

I want all of the internet's current opinion on HL3. I would use the inbuilt poll option but I'd like all the votes in one place. Pls vote! Discuss or give feedback below! Whatever!

http://strawpoll.me/1417436

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I have so little excitement for HL3 that it has gone into full-blown "I don't give a shit anymore"-itis (that's the medical term).

Seriously, I am so far away from caring anymore about this. Valve left us hanging in the wind with the GIGANTIC cliffhanger that I just plain won't buy Valve story games anymore. I don't care how good the games are going to be; I'm never going to buy another story-driven Valve game ever again if this is how Valve treats their fans.

The Half-Life series is dead to me.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I'm frankly heartbroken at this point.

I don't expect it to come out anymore.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Shouldn't you at least provide your own opinion?

Anyway, I don't think my position can be adequately expressed with the given poll options, since the only Valve property I've ever cared about in the first place is Portal. Half-Life never grabbed me to begin with, so I don't really care if it comes out or not except to finally make people stop making more threads about rumors of it being/not being made.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I entered the Half-Life scene late but that never stopped me from opinions!

I played most of the original, beat Half-Life 2 and a bit into Episode I

So far, it's a fun series but it never had that "revolutionary" feel that it must have had when it first released.

Would it be cool to play it? Yes. Do I need to play it? No

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm somewhat apathetic at this point. That might change if Valve actually shows us that they care about giving us the game we've been waiting however many years for now. Still, at this point, I've pretty much accepted that it may not come out, and if it does, there is absolutely no way Valve can meet expectations. Even if they do release it and even if it turns out to be the greatest game of all time, I'd still need confirmation that it is the end.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
I'd hope to play it one day, but I doubt it. I only finished Half Life 2 and both episodes a few months ago, so I'm not as upset as others, but seriously, it's been a long time. Gabe is doing exactly what he told us he didn't want to do. THAT'S what makes me angry. Honestly, my expectations aren't as high as others. I mean, mine usually aren't very high, because I hate overhyping things. For example. I played and beat Bioshock Infinite within the past week, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. However, that is because, for every positive opinion, there was a negative one. Therefore, the problems I had with the game did t come out of nowhere. So yeah, it would be stupid for Valve not to make a Half Life 3, but we'll just wait and see. People just need to stop speculating about rumors and shit every 5 seconds. I'll be happy if the game ever comes out, and I hope it can be a worthy sequel to Half Life 2. It doesn't have to be extremely revolutionary, though.

I just hope it's worth the weight.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Right now, all I want is a clear statement from Valve on the state of the Half-Life franchise (none of this 'Ricochet 2' bullshit). I don't even need an explanation, all I want is for someone from Valve to say "We are still hard at work on the next Half-Life game," or "Sorry, but we are not currently working on a Half-Life game." I feel like after seven years that's the least they can do.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I only played the first game roundabout when it came out. I never went into franchise mode, and as a result I never really cared for Half Life 2 and beyond. My interest in HL3 is purely anecdotical.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Didn't Valve come out and bluntly state that dropping the focus on single player games was more profitable at this point?

I was hyped over that cliffhanger for a good while, but I have long since stopped holding my breath.

Aluwolf

Apr 1, 2014
Terrible poll. I can either choose to be a raging maniac who can't wait for a game or someone who hates valve.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I held out hope for the longest time but I'm really starting to feel burned by episodic games. It's getting to the point that ,unless it's a telltale series, any episodic game series isn't getting my money or attention until they've proven they can release on a schedule or the series is already completed.

With that being said, I've given up hope of ever seeing episode 3. What makes it worse is that valve won't even give us the courtesy of a "It's not happening". I'm all for taking the time you need to get stuff done right but dammnit, it's been 7 years with nary a peep. If there is a dedicated team working on Episode 3, I'm curious how the hell they've justified their jobs for so long if they haven't actually produced anything.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Would I like to play it at some point? Of course. Many do.

Would I become excited at the announcement of it's coming release? Naturally. Emphatically so.

Would I gush with glee the first time I boot it up? Without a doubt. (though, any continued "gushing" would be predicated on the actual quality of the title)

But, am I sitting here anxious for it? Am I waiting on bated breath? No. Of course not. That'd be ridiculous.

Now, granted, there is mounting evidence that it is in active development. And some of the biggest names behind the series have returned to Valve, giving further credence to that evidence. Even so, I'm not falling head-over-heels with anticipation.

If it comes out, it comes out. I'll play it and enjoy[footnote]Assuming it lives up to the usual benchmark of quality Valve aims for.[/footnote] another chapter in one of my favorite game series.

If it doesn't, then so be it. I'll be disappointed to never see a continuation of the narrative, as well as being disappointed that the series was left on such a dramatic cliffhanger, but I can live with it. There are thousands of other games and game series out there. I've played many since the last Half-Life game came out. I can continue to just play them instead.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a lobby waiting for me in Titanfall.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Liquidprid3 said:
I just hope it's worth the weight.
That's Fat Gabe joke number 3,502,521,004. Which, by ValveTime math, means the game can't possibly be released until some time after October 22nd, 2379.

Good thing they're finally perfecting the technology of cryogenics...

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
My rule of thumb is "If it hasn't gotten a sequel within five years, it'll never get one."

So, no, I'm not expecting anything more in the way of Half-Life games. If Valve do end up releasing one, I'll be very surprised.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
I've taken to taunting my best friend with the knowledge that Kingdom Hearts 3 is in development and Half Life 3 isn't.

Ain't I a stinker?

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I get the feeling at this stage it would just be another Duke Nukem Forever if it were released. Not an awful game, just very average, at least by current standards.

Half-Life essentially set the paradigm for narrative based shooters today, and Half-Life 2 furthered it through its physics engine. The gravity/physics gun was essentially the central part of HL2 and HL2 itself was a playground to try it out. Now indie developers are coming up with these tools (or gimmicks) by the day, and Valve can't keep up anymore. Their time and money is all in CS:GO and DOTA 2 now. I don't see it changing with how much they haemorrhage cash.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I wasn't that hyped for it even when the time to be hyped was nigh, but even my more moderate enthusiasm has lived its life of "That'd be cool" "Oh hey look there's this" "Is that proof?!" "It's got to happen some time." "Valve might say something about it at such and such event!" "All I have is unsubstantiated rumours and a long-running internet joke" "Time to take my sliver of hope round the back of the shed".

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Zero hype on my end, considering the Half-life games are easily some of the most dull and boring games I have ever played.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
First entered the Half Life series in 2012 with Half Life 2, which I couldn't believe how great it is. I then played the episodes shortly after which weren't as good, but I was happy to find out why everyone was complaining, and I can see what they mean now.

Frankly, I don't care. Just because Valve made some great games before, doesn't mean they can do it every time, and I can't imagine where they are going to go with the story any way.

Played the first Half Life earlier this year and found that amazing too, though frustratingly hard. I actually found the ending very satisfying in the first.