The great OST appreciation thread

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Are you like me? Do you also appreciate well done OST? Do you have a long playlist with video game OST that you often listen to? Please share them here with me!

The most recent game which has an amazing OST is MGSV, it even won a GOTY for it and for good reasons. I think that the OST really had a big impact in the game, it made some cutscenes really good, cutscenes that really wouldn't be close to that good without some of these tracks. So, I'm just gonna share a couple of soundtracks that really made MGSV feel grand and unique.

This one just got you hyped, especially in the prologue of the game, goosebumps were had.

Even though this one didn't make it in to the game for some reason, it's really epic from the 03:30 mark til the end.

If I had to choose a game or a game series that has the best OST, I'd have to give it to the Halo series. Martin O'Donnell made some really iconic and really unique soundtracks for Halo that almost everyone recognize, even if you have never played a Halo game in your life.

Like the main theme for the game.

Then there's something like this, that just screams Halo.

Anyway, what OST can't you stop listening to?

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Despite being a composer myself, I don't actually have many game OSTs on hand. For that matter, the same goes for film OSTs. I guess I prefer to listen to them as they were intended. Not saying there's anything wrong with listening to them outside of their intended context though.

If I had to pick, my most memorable game OSTs would be Chrono Trigger and Deus Ex. For recent games? I recall I enjoyed FTL and Papers, Please. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
I've just finished Undertale and I loved hearing this song at the end, I want to hear a full Orchestra playing it starting off with just a few instruments then by the end have everyone just blasting it out I think that would be amazing. I haven't been able to find that though so here's the standard version which was still good enough to get my hands off the key board and tapping along to the beat.

Then there's once of my old favourites.

And Finally.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

And an old classic:

Axelotus07

Sep 4, 2014
Here's a top 5 list of some of my personal favorite OSTs (in no particular order):

This track to me may very well be the most beautiful thing ever composed. I used to just leave the world map in Another World just so I could sleep.

Literally THE ultimate showdown background tune. It should be mandatory that this track be played behind all gentlemen's bouts. Also note that this youtube uploaded track was rip directly from the game. Extra tidbits of phasers and ambiance can be heard in the background which IMO preserves the original atmosphere.

A very ethereal track with some amazing accompanying harmonies present. It pretty much captures the magic that is this awesome game. The echoing vocalist gives me chills. Still hasn't lost its effect either. If you haven't played this game I would do it solely for the OST alone.

100% convinced that this entire soundtrack is the work of Etro herself. This track has literally driven me OUT of depression because of how beautiful, calming, and uplifting it is.

This heavy, metal-driven theme really sets the stage for this crossover epic JRPG/RTS hybrid. Having to listen to this 99% of the time during hundreds of hours of grinding is the easiest thing to do.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Since i'm stuck in a huge BlazBlue hype fiesta, I have to post some OSTs.

I hate how they practically ruined the Mu-12 I knew and loved in Chronophantasma compared to Continuum Shift but her music is so perfect. Her combos are completely different and her play is more rushdown focused (neutered Sword of Decimation, down C doesn't jump cancel anymore, her guns don't have fullscreen range and they added Sword of Infinity, a move that dashes you straight behind your opponent.) Probably because both Nu-13 and Lambda-11 are both in this one and they take the space of annoying zone control characters so they wanted the final Murokumo Unit to be different. That's my theory anyway.

Obviously a dark song fit for a character whose sole purpose in life is to destroy the entire world.

A more hopeful song practically devoid of the deep bass present in the first one but the lyrics are word for word the same. Apparently they sing about destroying the world if Youtube comments can be believed so some maybe lyrical dissonance there but you could explain it as her power level is the same if not higher in Chronophantasma since she still wields the Sword of the Godslayer. She now just doesn't want too.

Then there's this one that has no deeper meaning but it's pure Hype in musical form.

Hype fuckin' Fiesta boys.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
As actual OSTs (thus precluding remixes and orchestras),

Wind Waker main theme
Kindred's theme
Moonless Starry Night
Dark Cloud main theme
A Place to Call Home
Sound of the Wind

There are others, but these stand out.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
And just as I posted a bunch of songs in another thread. Thanks OP!
Gotta say, one of my top three favorite soundtracks for a game would be Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage. Probably half of the fun of the game. I actually listened to the entire thing on a regular basis long before I even bought the actual game.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Driv3r, for all its faults, had an awesome soundtrack.

I was about to come in to back you up 150% but then I realised you really were talking about the "O" ST. The licensed music in the game was pretty fantastic (Stateless- Exit is like aural honey) but the OST sucked just as much as most other parts of the game. And this coming from one of Driver's biggest fans. I finished it end to end, and after the awesome OST of Driver and the funky but somewhat bizarre OST for Driver 2, D3 was just so flat and uninteresting by comparison.

This? Now THIS is a Driver OST:

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Yep, have to agree with the Halo games. I was a huge fan of the franchise when Bungie was still at the helm, and I'd say Martin O'Donnell's music was as integral to the series' success as John Williams was for Star Wars. Bungie really shot themselves in the foot when they fired him. "Tip of the Spear" from Halo: Reach is one of my personal favorites.

Total Annihilation had an AMAZING soundtrack...and this is coming from someone who hasn't even played it. More games need full orchestras for their music.

The WW2 Medal of Honor games were another orchestral masterpiece, evoking a wide range of emotions. "Arnhem" moved me to tears the first time I heard it (actually it still does, now that I think about it).

I recently got into the Shantae series of games, and hot damn if it doesn't have a ridiculously catchy score. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in particular is one hit after another. Hell, even the FILE SELECT MUSIC is awesome!
See? I wasn't lying!​

Maybe it's my bias showing, but Tie Fighter had perhaps the best soundtrack of any Star Wars game...namely because they didn't go the lazy route and reuse the same John Williams tunes we've all heard to death by now (at least not in the original version...the Win95 "Special Edition" Redbook audio can screw off). What we got instead was a masterful original score that really captured the feeling of being part of the Empire...all done in MIDI, no less.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Squilookle said:
In all honesty, I thought it was an original sound track. Now that you point out it isn't, it makes sense. They probably blew their budget with getting the big voice actors and animations in.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Anything from any of the Bioshock games:

Warhammer games:

Silent Hill:

Ocarina of Time:

Hexen 64:

OH! And this. This has been my alarm sound for like...way too long. Such a happy way to start the day.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
The Bioshock series in general, but 2 in particular. I listen to that one a lot. :)

Plus, the Borderlands series. Good stuff there, too.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
From this the last year, Undertale

...and now I'll exit the room.