The Great Resident Evil 2 Coverup

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
The Great Resident Evil 2 Coverup

Leon might've let go of Ada Wong on purpose.

Read Full Article

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't feel like firing up the game to double check but can't you inspect Ada's fallen gun after she plummets to which Leon realizes that it was empty all along?

edit: Yea actually I found a video on youtube showing this entire scene and Leon checks Ada's gun after it clearly says that there were no rounds in the magazine.

Link for those interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCYPaPQ4bA The scene described where Ada is outed starts at 2:46:50ish and goes from there. If you watch the video Ada says goodbye Leon tries to pull her up and Ada is the one who lets go of Leon's wrist.

As you may or may not remember, Resident Evil 2 has a total of four different endings. Playing through either the disc one or disc two with a fresh save file yields different versions of events for both Leon and Claire, called "Leon A" and "Claire A." But when you beat the game using one disc, a save file is created allowing you to play through the game with the other character. These stories are labeled "Leon B" and "Claire B," and they feature some big changes from the A versions.
Also RE2 didn't have 4 different endings it had 2. The whole A/B scenario thing was basically who ended up on which side of the accident in the opening intro. If you played Claire A then Leon's B scenario was the corresponding story to hers. It wasn't a whole new story as much as it was "what the other character was doing the whole time" so imo Capcom really didn't bastardize canon by simply saying Claire A and Leon B were what happened over Leon A Claire B. Trust me I think Capcom has been terrible when it comes picking and choosing what actually happened in RE games vs what they said happened but I don't think choosing Claire/Leon over Leon/Claire is their worst offense by a long shot.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
toomuchnothing said:
Correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't feel like firing up the game to double check but can't you inspect Ada's fallen gun after she plummets to which Leon realizes that it was empty all along?
Having played the game about two weeks ago, yes, he tells you the gun is empty. I think he then says something like "Why'd she do that?" in his internal narration.

Shakura Jolithion

Nov 9, 2009
The original Resident Evil series has a bunch of plot explanations and other things made by fans... It's one of the things I liked best, and something I didn't get from 4 and 5. I'm not sure how convinced I am by this article, but it was *definitely* a good read. I like when a game can give you a pretty full story but you can still take all the evidence and piece together enough of the puzzle to see a picture, but be vague enough for discussions of what happens :)

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
And now I want to go and play Resident Evil 2 again. Oh wait... I don't have it any more.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
toomuchnothing said:
As you may or may not remember, Resident Evil 2 has a total of four different endings. Playing through either the disc one or disc two with a fresh save file yields different versions of events for both Leon and Claire, called "Leon A" and "Claire A." But when you beat the game using one disc, a save file is created allowing you to play through the game with the other character. These stories are labeled "Leon B" and "Claire B," and they feature some big changes from the A versions.
Also RE2 didn't have 4 different endings it had 2. The whole A/B scenario thing was basically who ended up on which side of the accident in the opening intro. If you played Claire A then Leon's B scenario was the corresponding story to hers. It wasn't a whole new story as much as it was "what the other character was doing the whole time" so imo Capcom really didn't bastardize canon by simply saying Claire A and Leon B were what happened over Leon A Claire B. Trust me I think Capcom has been terrible when it comes picking and choosing what actually happened in RE games vs what they said happened but I don't think choosing Claire/Leon over Leon/Claire is their worst offense by a long shot.
Beat me to it. The A and B scenario are the same story, just from a different perspective. Clair A and Leon A are essentially the same. I personally always thought of Clair A/ Leon B as canon though, but thats just me.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Not to destroy a good conspiracy theory but Leon is kind of a moron and I don't think he's mentally capable of making that kind of decision. He's good at killing stuff, not getting killed by stuff and pushing/pulling stuff but still, he's a moron.
I remember when I was playing RE2 for the first time and getting to the scene where Annette explains to Leon that Ada is a spy. He then replies:
"Ada wouldn't do that. I know her!"
Dude, you met her a few hours ago and you had like 2 conversations with her. What the fuck can you possibly know about her? Stop thinking with your dick!
It was 1998 and I was just a 13 year old kid but I thought "Man, is this guy dumb".

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
This reminds me of my hypothesis that Deckard Cain was manipulating the events of Diablo 1 and 2 in order to fulfill a pact his ancestor made with the Prime Evils.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
HardkorSB said:
Not to destroy a good conspiracy theory but Leon is kind of a moron and I don't think he's mentally capable of making that kind of decision. He's good at killing stuff, not getting killed by stuff and pushing/pulling stuff but still, he's a moron.
I remember when I was playing RE2 for the first time and getting to the scene where Annette explains to Leon that Ada is a spy. He then replies:
"Ada wouldn't do that. I know her!"
Dude, you met her a few hours ago and you had like 2 conversations with her. What the fuck can you possibly know about her? Stop thinking with your dick!
It was 1998 and I was just a 13 year old kid but I thought "Man, is this guy dumb".
Also, Leon is pretty quick to take Ada's side when she's questioning Ben Bertolucci.

"Ben... you told the city officials that you knew something about what?s
going on... What did you tell them?"

Yeah, that doesn't sound vaguely ominous the way she says that.

Sorry, but nothing Leon does in the game suggests he'd be willing to drop Ada like that.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
And now I want to go and play Resident Evil 2 again. Oh wait... I don't have it any more.
It's available on PSN for $10.

How is anyone surprised that Capcom is screwing the pooch on plot lines? It's not like they've had a decent writer on staff at any point in their history outside of the Megaman Legends series and some of the earlier Battle Network games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have fond memories of Resident Evil 2, but I seriously doubt Capcom has such snazzy writting skills.

I'm afraid this is just another case of someone reading too much into a story.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Sorry, but after playing every main story RE game, and the two Wii rail shooters which goes over every game in the main series, I can tell you with 100% chance certainty that there's no chance in hell that the Capcom RE writing staff is clever enough for anything like that.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Osaka117 said:
Sorry, but after playing every main story RE game, and the two Wii rail shooters which goes over every game in the main series, I can tell you with 100% chance certainty that there's no chance in hell that the Capcom RE writing staff is clever enough for anything like that.
I'm inclined to agree. You're projecting a MUCH better plot and writing onto RE2 than actually exists.

You also can't make the argument that the writing was better back then. I have two words for you, Jill Sandwich.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
WanderingFool said:
toomuchnothing said:
Beat me to it. The A and B scenario are the same story, just from a different perspective. Clair A and Leon A are essentially the same. I personally always thought of Clair A/ Leon B as canon though, but thats just me.
I would like to go ahead and third this.
The A/B scenarios aren't entirely different plotlines Leon B is what Leon does during Claire A, and vice versa. So picking Claire A/Leon B as 'canon' makes perfect sense as you couldn't actually have Claire A/Leon A happen together the way the game is set up.

I specifically remember all this from when I played RE2 as a kid because it blew my fucking mind when I played my first 'B' scenario. If memory serves me I preferred the Claire A/Leon B telling of the story anyways, though I can't remember exactly why.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I think Ada would be lucky to not be aerating her skull|
That kind of reaction is fairly typical of my mood towards characters I feel even have the potential to be a danger to me in future let alone have back stabbed me.
Look at lautrec from dark souls, he was dead the second he walked out of his cell even if he did not know it yet and I didn't even know he kills the firekeeper

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
Thanks for the article, it's nice to go back to a series after a while and look at it from fresh eyes, or new perspectives. I enjoy that kind of storytelling in games, where each person can read into the story whatever they choose.

At any rate, Capcom can re-write or gloss over what they think is the "official canon" but each person who plays the games is going to take from the story their own interpretation.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I always thought Claire A - Leon B made the most sense anyway.

NuclearShadow said:
It's been so many years but I could swear that the game says something along the line of "true" events.
It mentions seeing the "true ending" in the beginning, uh... text narration after the truck crashes.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
MikeWehner said:
But this time, rather than assuming Ada simply slipped, look at the scene through Leon's eyes and ask yourself if you would have saved the black widow hanging from the ledge, or if you would have just let go.
I would have pulled her back up, but only so I could kill her and loot the corpse.