The Greatest Opening Sentence of any game/movie

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
My favourites are the intro to Lost Oddyssey, and the intro to Onimusha 3! That was an awesome one!!

Special mention to the music in the intro to Final Fantasy 10 as well! Another World is an epic tune, and has been on my iPod for years!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
In this world there are things we mustn't touch... Who cares! - Baten Kaitos.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
"Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back."

Kind of long I know, but I LOVE the prestige and I absolutely loved this opening line.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Ok, so it's a novel, but:

"The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." - Harry Dresden Blood Rites

Maybe it's only funny if you know the character...

Also kind of a spoiler, but by now everyone interested in the series should know it:

"Living is hard, dying is easy." - Harry Dresden Ghost Story

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy?s first Law of Equivalent Exchange."

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Not sure if this counts, as it's the introduction of RAAM's Shadow, but i think it's awesome.

"The war, ain't always about fighting. Blood, death yada yada yada. Sometimes, it's about knowing when to turn tail, and run your f*cking ass off"

If not, the Gears of War 2 intro.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Good morning and welcome to the Black Mesa Transit System. This automated train is provided for the security and convenience of the Black Mesa Research Facility personnel.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.
The civilizations of the galaxy call it...
MASS EFFECT

Best title drop ever.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
While it technically isn't the first line spoken it is pretty close and where the story really starts. "Digging tunnels, day after day, that's my job...

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
4ged said:
imprisoned for ten thousand years.... banished from my homeland.... and now you dare enter my realm.... you are not prepared.

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

They have taken you from the Imperial City's prison, first by carriage and now by boat, to the east, to Morrowind. Fear not for I am watchful, you have been chosen...

those are openings worth remembering imo
I loved Illidan in Warcraft 3.
war, war never changes. I can't think of any others that haven't been said. But i kept hearing ISAAC!!!!!!!! after the first time i played binding of isaac.

FirebirdXR

Feb 22, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Welcome... To the Velvet Room.

I'm fairly certain it was the first line spoken in Persona 4 (if not it's still pretty early on at least.)
Every Persona game pretty much has that line as they first enter the Velvet Room

As much as I enjoyed P4, If I were to pick the best Persona opening sequence it would be P3.

A young girl hesitantly pointing a pistol at her head, and the entire world changing before you littered with coffins and blood, and the day after your first trip into the Velvet Room this happens;

But if I would pick my personal video game favorite, it would be Final Fantasy VI's intro, but that's mostly due to my nostalgia.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
"I am Andrew Ryan, and I am here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?..."
I'm sure you know the rest, because you are looking it up on Youtube right now.

I know it isn't exactly the very first sentence in the game but...well....shut up...
o

This to infinity. And the Fallout one. Other than that I would go with "Hello, and again, welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center . . .".