"with a gun barrel in your mouth you only speak in vowels."
I love that line from fight club.
Favorite game opening sentence would have to be
"The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me, now there is no hope!"
God of War was a REALLY great game...

Spydercake

Oct 29, 2010
Hammeroj said:
The sands of time have run out, sun of Durotan.

[clip]

Best game ever.
Finally, I thought I was going to be the only one with a video by blizzard.
Though, I must say I think my favorite must be...
"My son... the day you were born, the very forest of Lordearon whispered the name...
Arthas"
There goes the last good WoW Expansion :\
Their games may be going down the shitter, but DAMN, Blizzard sure knows how to make a cinematic.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I'd say the intro for Half-life simply because I feel that was my first real PC gaming experience. I played dos-games for years along with my consoles, I was finally old enough for my parents to let me play a game like halflife (with the blood and gore turned off...lol)

That whole intro to the game from looking out in the tram, seeing this world unfolding before me, getting the HEV suit, and standing in the middle of an event gone horribly wrong. Needless to say, I was a little wimp and got scared to go to sleep that night. Never experienced a game's intro like that before.

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
This probably doesn't count as it's not an intro to anything. It's just what someone said at my school this Friday:

So it's Friday morning, and I walk into the classroom, the first thing I see is my friend fooling around with a Batman mask and cape and the teacher yelling at him. He goes parading around the whole room; and then some girl comes through the doorway - with a sh*t load of make-up smudged all over her face. Then suddenly someone from the back of the room yells, "Looks out! It's Joker!".

-it was much funnier seeing it live though.

On a different note, I find the "Time Gnomes" intro kind of cool too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVk-QNhRk1U

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down and I will tell you a tale like none you have ever heard." - Prince of Persia - Sands of time.

The only game intro that stood out to me, and thus the one I think was best.

In terms of overall intros though, I'd have to say tops for me is the prelude to Homeland by Salvatore. Say what you will about him, but I think that prelude is orgasmic.

Never does a star grace this land with a poet's light of twinkling mysteries, nor does the sun send to here its rays of warmth and life. This is the Underdark, the secret world beneath the bustling surface of the Forgotten Realms, whose sky is a ceiling of heartless stone and whose walls show the gray blandness of death in the torchlight of the foolish surface-dwellers that stumble here. This is not their world, not the world of light. Most who come here uninvited do not return.
Those who do escape to the safety of their surface homes return changed. Their eyes have seen the shadows and the gloom, the inevitable doom of the Underdark.
Dark corridors meander throughout the dark realm in winding courses, connecting caverns great and small, with ceilings high and low. Mounds of stone as pointed as the teeth of a sleeping dragon leer down in silent threat or rise up to block the way of intruders.
There is a silence here, profound and foreboding, the crouched hush of a predator at work. Too often the only sound, the only reminder to travelers in the Underdark that they have not lost their sense of hearing altogether, is a distant and echoing drip of water, beating like the heart of a beast, slipping through the silent stones to the deep Underdark pools of chilled water. What lies beneath the still onyx surface of these pools one can only guess. What secrets await the brave, what horrors await the foolish, only the imagination can reveal - until the stillness is disturbed.
This is the Underdark.
- - - - -
There are pockets of life here, cities as great as many of those on the surface. Around any of the countless bends and turns in the gray stone a traveler might stumble suddenly into the perimeter of such a city, a stark contrast to the emptiness of the corridors. These places are not safe havens, though; only the foolish traveler would assume so. They are the homes of the most evil races in all the Realms, most notably the Duergar, the kuo-roa, and the drow.
In one such cavern, two miles wide and a thousand feet high, looms Menzoberranzan, a monument to the other worldly and - ultimately - deadly grace that marks the race of drow elves. Menzoberranzan is not a large city by drow standards; only twenty thousand dark elves reside there. Where, in ages past, there had been an empty cavern of roughly shaped stalactites and stalagmites now stands artistry, row after row of carved castles thrumming in a quiet glow of magic. The city is perfection in form, where not a stone has been left to its natural shape. This sense of order and control, however, is but a cruel facade, a deception hiding the chaos and vileness that rule the dark elves' hearts. Like their cities, they are a beautiful, slender, and delicate people, with features sharp and haunting.
Yet the drow are the rulers of this unruled world, the deadliest of the deadly, and all other races take cautious note of their passing. Beauty itself pales at the end of a dark elf's sword. The drow are the survivors, and this is the Underdark, the valley of death - the land of nameless nightmares.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
From The Tv Show "Death Valley"

"Can anyone tell me today is? Do not tell me it is the series finale of glee.... I fucking hate that show."

It's cheap and simplistic, but It is one bold way to open a show.

Rodrigo Girao said:
War. War never changes.
Or does it? The war has changed. Did it? The answer is no. Unless it is yes. No, of course it is. Is war. Yes. No... Yes?
"Congratulations, you have just picked up 500 pages of wide-rules note paper.

Good job!"

I still love duty calls.

"I am a bad guy, this is signified by my growly voice and that i am overweight."

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Baron von Blitztank said:
"I am Andrew Ryan, and I am here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?..."
I'm sure you know the rest, because you are looking it up on Youtube right now.

I know it isn't exactly the very first sentence in the game but...well....shut up...
This by far. So epic.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
"Damn. Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shootin up my ride."
From the ONLY Duke Nukem FPS. THEY DIDN'T MAKE ANY MORE AFTER DN3D.