The Greatest Opening Sentence of any game/movie

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Most of my favourites have already been said, but I'll mention them anyway:

Bioshock - "I am Andrew Ryan, and I am here to ask you a question: is a man not entitled to the sweat off his brow?"

Half Life 2 - "Rise and shine, Mister Freeman, rise and shine"

Fallout (all) - "War . . . war never changes"

Portal - "Hello, and welcome to the enrichment centre"

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
FunctionZ said:
As its the opening scene I guess it counts towards this thread.

The Assassin's Creed 2 opening scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJshVVtEyso
Still gives me goosebumps...

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Not the actual opening, but thats pretty kick ass too.

"Rorchach's Journal, October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

I fucking love Rorchach.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
4ged said:
imprisoned for ten thousand years.... banished from my homeland.... and now you dare enter my realm.... you are not prepared.

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

They have taken you from the Imperial City's prison, first by carriage and now by boat, to the east, to Morrowind. Fear not for I am watchful, you have been chosen...

those are openings worth remembering imo
Funny you should mention a WoW opening...

"My son... the day you were born, the very forests of Lordaeron whispered the name...

...Arthas..."

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
For some reason, I have the line "Zhi ji, zhi bi, bai zhan bu dai" (He who knows himself as well as his enemy will not be threatened in a hundred battles - Sunzi) stuck in my head. I know that it is from the opening of some movie or game, possibly a crappy one, but I simply can't get rid of it until I figure out where it's from.

Really, it's horrible.

Almost as bad as when I had FF9's "You're Not Alone" stuck in my head and couldn't remember where that song was from. Certainly brought me much closer to insanity.

But for the best: Hrm...

"Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman. Rise and Shine." - Half Life 2
"Here's how it is..." - Serenity
"This is the sad tale of the township of Dogville." - Dogville
"Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I talk. Everyone has a talent." - Thank You For Smoking

In the end, though, it's less about quotes and more about the memories I have about a game or film. And somehow, this one takes the crown here:

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Proper story's supposed to start at the beginning. Ain't so simple with this one.
That's so engrained in my mind. I can still hear The Stranger's voice.

For me though, it is "Kain is deified..."

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
"Hello, and again, welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center..."

If I were to expand from opening sentence to opening sequence, I would either say either Bioshock's intro OR Mass Effect 2's IF you were at all attached to the series after the first game.

Spydercake

Oct 29, 2010
AlbinoAaron said:

All build up for the greatest line ever.
Yahknow, that would almost be at the top of my list...
If I didn't watch it about 2million times while waiting for blizzcon events to start up the first year they went digital...

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Seeing as the game in question didn't have an opening line or anything here is the song from lvl 1

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Though the game itself was kind of really crap, I was always kind of fond with how the new Bionic Commando opened up. "Let me tell you about a man I once knew."
Edit: And because this is bothering the shit out of me, Andrew Ryan does not have the first line in Bioshock. The first line is Jack saying, "They told me, 'Son, you're special. You were born to do great things.' You know what? They were right."

deathbyoatmeal

Apr 3, 2011
psychonauts, set the mood for the game perfectly

Coach oleander: those of you who suceed will go on to becoem the ultimate super soldiers, psychonauts! the rest of you...will DIE!

(little kids stare back, terrified)

kids: AAAAAAAHHHHH

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The Saints Row the Third opening scroll it is a perfect blend of badassness and retarded ness, the best part is when they are going over the Saints accomplishments up to that point except for Pierce because no one gives a fuck about Pierce.

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
'Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.
Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet'

Always makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I know tis not a movie or game, but tis still excellent.

As for a game...
The intro movie for the original Dawn of War is brilliant.

And the first sentence uttered in one of my favourite games of all time:
'His name was Geralt of Rivia'

Mech__Warrior

Jan 23, 2012
I think you're missing a pretty good opening sequence.

MechWarrior 3

"It is the 31st century, and mankind is once again, at war. The battlefields of the future are dominated by huge, robotic war machines known as battlemechs. Piloting these awesome weapons of war, are the elite of the elite, knowing each battle could be their last. They are, Mech Warriors."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm76b8tzzWI&feature=player_embedded

Fallout 2 was one of my personal favorites too, glad to see that one get counted. I have more, but I'm pretty damn tired to remember.

Riptide1

Oct 28, 2010
Well its a book but its the only great opening i haven't seen yet
"It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport." -- The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, Douglas Adams

favorite is definitely "War, war never changes"