The Greediest Jerks in Gaming

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
I have created this topic for two reasons. One, there will always be a character to annoy the protagonist, hinder his progress or outright betray him just for a bit of moolah. Reason number two, there was one character I have encountered that not only fits all three things I have talked about but my hatred for him can be defined as insurmountable. I am talking about that uptight, arrogant, scheming, no good, low-down, ursine known as Moneybags from the Spyro the Dragon series.

Yep, I'm talking about this guy:

He has to be the most sleeziest con-artist/greedy bastard I ever encountered in a game. Not only does he charge ridiculous prices just so Spyro can progress further but also..
He helps the sorceress in the third game to capture the side characters that assist Spyro.

If there can be such a character out there in the history of gaming that makes this bear look like a saint when it comes to selling out for some quick cash, I really like to know, but for now Moneybags has to be the most greediest jerk in my book.

So, who do you guys think might be the most greediest character in gaming?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
If I had 30 billion dollars for every man who betrayed me for money in the GTA series, I'd be able to pay them back because I'd be rich enough to.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The arms dealer from Payday 2.

Seriously, it costs $211,000 to attach a sight to my assault rifle! That's absolutely fucking ridiculous, why am I still doing business with this greedy son of a *****?

JMO Got Game

Lifelong Gamer
Jan 12, 2014
He's not monetarily greedy, but he's greedy in regards to his selfish need for control in seeing the story composed by the gamer (or Stanley) go his way. He manipulates you, berates you, frightens you, and bates you in order to control the game. I'm talking about the one and only narrator from The Stanley Parable HD! A guy you just love to hate.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls. The greedy ***** wants like 400,000 souls now to go up one level.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Surpised we got this far with out anyone mentioning Tom Nook. The guy has a monopoly on like everything.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
synobal said:
Surpised we got this far with out anyone mentioning Tom Nook. The guy has a monopoly on like everything.

I wouldn't consider Tom Nook greedy, more that Tom Nook and his little Nooklings are...well basically the Animal Crossing version of the Mafia. I mean hell, in the first Animal Crossing he sells you a tiny little home and forces you to pay all the money you have to get it, and since you don't have enough he forces you to work for him.
Now Moneybags like the OP posted, he is greedy. He purposely hinders your progress, often times himself, and charges you a premium in order to advance.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Neronium said:
synobal said:

I wouldn't consider Tom Nook greedy, more that Tom Nook and his little Nooklings are...well basically the Animal Crossing version of the Mafia. I mean hell, in the first Animal Crossing he sells you a tiny little home and forces you to pay all the money you have to get it, and since you don't have enough he forces you to work for him.
Now Moneybags like the OP posted, he is greedy. He purposely hinders your progress, often times himself, and charges you a premium in order to advance.
What is the point of a criminal organization? to make money, ergo if you're running the mafia you are greedy.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
synobal said:
Neronium said:
synobal said:

What is the point of a criminal organization? to make money, ergo if you're running the mafia you are greedy.
I suppose it's the difference between a zero sum game or even negative sum style of greed (you're willing to have someone waste 2 dollars as long as it brings 1 dollar in your pocket) vs someone just being corrupt or using shady tactics.

Everyone wants to make money, the thing with greed I thought was that greed goes beyond that to a territory where it becomes self-destructive and you lose sight of everything else.

OT: You, the player character. Especially in games where you go grave robbing, you steal or you do mercenary work, since you risk life and limb generally and disregard the lives of others. Then all of that money goes to equipment that will get you more money instead of beer and hookers or something. What else is that than an unhealthy fixation with filthy lucre?

Being a jerk is also a possible option depending on how many things you kill for the money.

That was your preachy message for the day.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
synobal said:
Well that's one thing. One could also argue that the Mafia works in order to have power over all the others, and an argument can be made about that. Greed is a factor, but I say it's more power. I mean Nook's store before hand was the only place where you could buy certain items, and in the first Animal Crossing it was the only store in town. Now Nook is in charge of all the homes in your city and your loans in New Leaf, so he's got you, the mayor, as his political *****.
Stretching it I know, but Tom Nook is evil! >.<

I just always like to imagine Nook in a tuxedo, smoking a cigar, and being voiced by Marlon Brando. XD

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
carries.
fuck those guys, insist you deward and flame you for actually killing the ward since they really needed that 50 gold

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Everyone in any RPG ever, I mean, if we are the savior of the world do they really need to rip us off for a few more RPG bucks risking sending us underpowered to fight whatever monster is putting the entire world at risk?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Demolition_Human said:
I hated that sinking feeling when you turned a corner and he was waiting for you at the edge of a lake or at a gap where there should be a bridge.
It wasn't as if you needed the gems for anything else but it was painful handing them over to him.

Chasing him down at the end of the game was always extremely satisfying though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow no one mention Tingle from LoZ: Wind Waker? That is the only Zelda game (I think) that you needed a 10k rupee wallet just for him to have all of your hard earn rupees at once!

SuperSaiyanMajinBuu

Nov 21, 2013
Your father from Dante's Inferno. While he doesn't charge you money or anything, he is literally the incarnation of greed. Lucifer bribed him to kill his son Dante for 1,000,000 gold coins and an eternity free of torture. He even rules over the Circle of Greed.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Gah. Moneybags...

Thankfully,
you can roast his ass at the end of Spyro 3 and get all the gems he took from you. Plus an egg.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Bosco from Sam&Max. I mean, a billion bucks for a "biological weapon" which happens to just be a tissue with his snot on it.

But as he puts it himself...

"I keep up making these ridiculous prices, and you keep paying them! So tell me now, who's da foo'?"

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Me, in every game where you're given an actual treasure hoard that increases in size the more wealth you acquire. I was influenced heavily by Scrooge McDuck in my younger days.