The Grey - Worst Movie I've seen in a Long time.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
Angelblaze said:
Alright where to begin...
Well first off no one really watches an action movie for real true realism now a days. The Grey isn't so much 'realistic' as much as 'it makes you feel.'
The Grey was meant to make you feel.
The only time I felt anything was at the first couple deaths. After that I didn't care because it became a predictable "I bet he dies next" cookie-cutter thriller. The movie pretty much plays out like a series of stiched together death scenes.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Eh, still doesn't sound as bad as Broken Arrow.

Or even worse: Jeepers Creepers.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
SAMURAJ said:
Wow Krantos i don't even know where to start arguing with you!
Then don't. I understand a lot of people don't agree with me on this. That doesn't bother me. They're just as entitled to their opinion as I am to mine.

I posted this just after I finished the movie. My hate has cooled since then. I was mainly just looking to vent my spleen about (what I considered) a bad movie.

If you liked the movie, then I'm glad it was an enjoyable experience for you. It just wasn't for me.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
DJ_DEnM said:
Shouldn't this be in User Reviews? Not that it matters, seeing as this seems to be the summer of misplaced threads.
I don't think so. It's not really a review, just a rant about a movie. It's like a post from those threads that always comes up with titles like "movies everybody likes but you hate", etc. If this were posted in the User Reviews section it would probably get a lot of negative responses.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
I think this has been said a fair bit, but I guess I'll add my voice. If you want a movie that focuses on every little detail like that, try something like Act of Valour. Or March of the Penguins. If you're more interested in a movie where Liam Neeson punches a wolf with broken bottles in his fists, and yet still manages to have touching scenes like comforting the dying man in the plane wreck, then this movie was fantastic. Don't ***** about it because it didn't do something that it never set out to do in te first place.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Considering the role of the wolves there's little need for them to do anything other than play into people's misconceptions. The film is about fear and death, the wolves spur the metaphor - they're not the actual focus, nor would portraying them accurately actually have benefitted the point of the film.

Vivi22 said:
Have to agree with you. If someone went to see this movie expecting anything other than Liam Neeson being the complete badass that he is then they went for the wrong reasons. And given what I remember of the trailers when it came out, I can't imagine they left anyone with the impression that they should expect more than that.
Which is slightly ironic, because it has very little in common with his recent surge of action flicks. The trailers are incredibly misleading.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Dude, let me let you in on a little secret here.

Liam Neeson.... tapes broken bottles n shit onto his fists... to engage a pack of wolves... in hand to hand combat...

look at him... LOOK AT HIM!!

In all seriousness, the movie was just plain entertaining. It was formulaic (if you've seen Sanctum, The Cave, or any other movie like that, then you've seen the Grey) but it was in a cool setting with an awesome lead. Idk, it just worked. And then there's bottlefists...
So.
Fucking.
Manly!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Woodsey said:
Vivi22 said:
Have to agree with you. If someone went to see this movie expecting anything other than Liam Neeson being the complete badass that he is then they went for the wrong reasons. And given what I remember of the trailers when it came out, I can't imagine they left anyone with the impression that they should expect more than that.
Which is slightly ironic, because it has very little in common with his recent surge of action flicks. The trailers are incredibly misleading.
This is true I suppose. I was expecting a bit more action when I saw the trailers compared to what's actually in there. But considering Liam Neeson could have one line of dialogue which he speaks while wearing a dress and being called Veronica and he'd still be more badass than most mere mortal men I may have cut it a bit of slack.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
You really don't see that many movies OP. That is very much nitpicking, go watch, I dunno, The Happening, The Descent, several other crappy horror films starting with "The" and feel ashamed at your insult to the great Neeson.

Also, if captcha is going to ask stupid questions, it can jump off a bridge.

science girl

Jun 1, 2010
I found the surprise wolf attacks interesting and the acting was good. I wouldn't watch it again though.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
The movie has factual inaccuracies therefore is terrible....

Look bro, this is true of pretty much every movie in existence, no movie gets all the research perfect but a few factual errors does not make the movie terrible. Jesus.

Out of your entire post the only things that make me less inclined to watch it were "bad cgi/puppets" and the predictability of whose gonna die.

Good performances far outweighs that so thank you, you actually gave me an overall recommendation, I should see it some time.

Point is, your negative commentary is nitpicky, it's not a documentary, it's a drama and Hollywood is taking liberties for dramatic effect.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
Well if we are going for nitpicks.....

1. he tied himself to his seat more than anyone else on the plane and yet was the furthest from the wreckage and completely free of both seats he was tied to

2. the shotgun shells thing

3. he had a whole box of shells they use there awesome shotgun shell weapons once and clearly thought that it was only sporting not to use the rest of the box of shells.....

Really I nit pick so much because it wasn't the sort of film im into I dont generall go for hyper violence or scare fests im quite happy with the violence in Arnie films and the cheesy screams

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
AdumbroDeus said:
Good performances far outweighs that so thank you, you actually gave me an overall recommendation, I should see it some time.
Good, then I hope you enjoy it.

And that's not sarcasm, as I said in another post above, I know a lot of people disagree with me. It's an opinion, so really no one can be wrong about it.

If people enjoyed the movie, more power to them. I didn't like it, and that was the only point I was trying to make.

Really, the OP was probably a waste, but when something bugs me (and this movie did) the quickest way for me to stop thinking about it, and by extension stop being bothered, is to write it out. It helped, I'm not upset about the movie anymore. I still didn't like it, but I have no problem if others did.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Deshara said:
Fun fact: That's actually how wolves act if you're near their den. Just because something isn't portrayed pleasantly doesn't mean the portrayal is sensationalistic ignorance.
That reminds me of something...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealityIsUnrealistic

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
I think you can blame every problem on the short story it was based off of. It has every hallmark of a Jack London Fanfiction. And that's just judging it based on the film.
I didn't find Liam Neeson Punches a Wolf that terrible. I just assumed he carried around 12 gauge rounds for that specific purpose.

"Because f*@# you Liam Neeson was in Schindler's List and that means he gets to do all the dopey action movies he wants and you don't get to say $H!# about it."

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
Krantos i was not going to argue with you, but you needed to mention that everybody has an opinion.Well guess what Opinions are like asses, everyone has one and there is no need to share them all the time,sometimes it's better to keep it to yourself.

as far as i understood, you created this post in the burning hatred towards this movie with the sole purpose to let off some steam only because the move wronged you in so many ways
that you could not find enough kindness in your black heart to let it go unpunished
and so you chosen a path of a vigilante,
manifesting your vengeance in the shape of this thread and in it exposing your "ass".

only by reading/seeing your "ass" i have fallen in a blood frenzy state,
now i too have to let go of some steam but i am doing this the old fashioned way:
by road killing children and burning orfanges.

i hope you're happy now!

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Haven't seen the movie, won't see the movie...particularly since it would be rather difficult for me to go to a theater at the moment. I want to make a more general comment about film.

Since when has 'it's only a movie' been a defense for factual inaccuracy? Oh, right. Always. "Willing suspension of disbelief" is a, uh...willing suspension. A person watching a film is actively trying to get into the heads of the characters and be part of the movie. Which means the movie in turn has to make active attempts to destroy suspension of disbelief.

For example, suppose we have a vampire story where we pluck from the myriad possibilities of vampire rules that vampires don't have reflections. Well, if the main character is about to be attacked by a vampire but reacts in time because he sees it reflected in a window...good job, that easily could single-handedly ruin the entire movie.

That's what we call inexcusable.

But when we break the rules of real life? Well, y'know, it's only a movie. I mean, come on, physics is hard. You can fall thirty feet and not break anything...probably. Animals basically just exist to kill humans, right? I think I learned that on the Discovery Channel.

tl;dr "bats = bugs" -Calvin