The Hard Problem: Dynamic Content

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
John Scott Tynes said:

Developers need to stop treating games like they're virtual books and start crafting more dynamic experiences.

Read Full Article
The Sims: GTA Ver.

That's really all I got from that. Really. Admittedly, a really, really advanced take on the Sims.

I like my narrative in games. Imagine if all we did in GTA was to steal a car and get from point A to point B with each level making the amount of police chasing you increasing. Pac-Man, again.

Realistically, I wonder if we have A.I. that can manage that. Or assuming we do, if our PCs or gaming machines can run it. The chess machine looks like it fits in my closet. And that's basically what this is, isn't it? A response to a player's actions that will cause a change in the player's surroundings - I might be on a limb, but this sounds like... chess.

jaeger138

Jun 27, 2009
I Don't think he's saying 'All games should be like this!', relax people. This sounds great, but this concept wouldn't work for all genres and style of game, and I'm sure he gets that. I mean, why would he suggest cutting out whole segments of the gaming industry, including devs and customers just to get the game he wants. He's expressing an opinion on something that he feels isn't catred for in the current market. And there's no nostalgia goggles here, dreaming for a simpler game in a complex world. This article has picked up on a great point.

The game industry moves so fast that we barely have time to fully explore a generation of gaming before it's obsolete and the next, better console is out, and there's often so much untapped potential in retrospect. That's why we see so many 'retro' concepts popping up in modern gaming, fro re-released, updated versions of games to taking a simple concept from an older game and bringing it into the current generation. What's being said here, is that there's so much potential that can come from mixing these modern concepts and platforms with the older ones, and it means we get more game out of our game. Is that such a bad thing? I know this concept won't be for everyone, but not everyone likes Halo, does that mean we should have scrapped the concept? No, of course not.

Imagine a game that was so varied every time you played it could keep you coming back to it regularly for months or years without subcription fees or DLC that's required to expand the playability, yet the game is so translucent that everything you do has a visible and noticeable effect without forcing you to play through the game a second time in order to see the flipside of the coin. We're not talking about moral choices, good or bad here, that can only lead to a limited number of outcomes, a la Fallout 3. What you're given the opportunity to do here is replay a game and not just have a slightly differing outcome with essentially the same play as before, but a completely different experience each time.

You spend your £40 ir $60 and get a game that lasts you as long as you want it to. That's not to say you don't play another game for the rest of your life because, as a gamer, of course you will! But this way you get more for your buck than any other game has so far offered. And as to the argument that this wouldn't be immersive, why not? To me it seems that it would be MORE immersive, it's more realistic, it makes more sense. Nico Bellic's story is so unrealistic and un-immersive it's unelievable. Phone calls in that game annoyed me, it was cute and interesting at first, but imagine you're in the middle of a mission, and your lonely idiot cousin calls you up to see if you want to go for a drink. I'm trying to kill a city's worth of people here!

And what about a mix of the concepts too? Isn't that waht this is all about? We take the fun a replayability of Pacman, Asteroids and many other arcade classics, the openworld sanbox style of modern games, the graphics and control of a modern platform, the AI concept of the future as described in the article and just colour and flavour it here and there. Maybe when you reach a threshold you get a cutscene, but the great thing is, each time you play the game it's different, not just the same video with a different characters and the same story, the cutscene is made up of tiny clips, each being played in response to an action you took. I mean, as a concept it sounds good, but I can see the technical difficulties in producing something like this. It's vast and screams 'Bugs galore!'

The point is, this could be something that's looked at when the technology is avilable, right now I'm having trouble seeing something so grand on a smaller scale in any way, but is it worth ruining the concept with a smaller game? If it's bad and doesn't turn out the way people hope, or is over hyped (as of course it would be) it will ruin this concept for years to come, no dev will touch it. But if it's done right, it could be a totally new subgenre of gaming. That doesn't mean that everyone has to go out and buy it, or that all games will eventually be replaced by the 'Dynamic' genre. But it sounds like a good idea in the making, given some polishing and a few years to invent and update technology for it to work, this could be something special. Who knows?

Let's not completely shut this idea down because it won't work right now or because you may not be the biggest fan, if we did that we'd never innovate, and that's what the industry needs. A true innovation, not a gimmick to hook new gamers, but an completely radical idea that will unite most of the population in the idea that gaming is fun, it isn't just for kids or nerds or anti-social freaks, it can be for everyone, and everyone will be catered for. It's very candy coated but it's a good thing I think.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Enhancing replay value is a great goal and DC seems like a good way to do it in sandbox games. You can still have missions, but they will take place in areas that you don't control. The beginning of each game would be similar, but each one unfolds differently. I would be glad to see this kind of thing in games.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Krakyn said:
I'd just like to know who you're speaking for. You're not speaking for me, that's for sure.

;)

No really, I didn't notice Mr Tynes mention who he was speaking for, or mention that he was speaking for the gaming majority.
As you may be able to tell by my post, not everyone agrees with your opinion either, in the exact same way that you don't agree with the opinion expressed in the article.

Would you like to know why? Because when it comes to this sort of dynamic content, and pay attention, this is the important part, there is not only one 'correct' opinion.

Personally, I like the idea of more games being designed with dynamic content in mind. If they are anything like the examples in the article, they look like they could provide both a challenge and replay value that wouldn't find in a standard linear action game.

That said, for the some reason that sometimes I'll read a novel, and sometimes I'll play chess, I also don't like the idea of dynamic content becoming the only gaming feature. Because sometimes I want a story driven shoot-fest like Call of Duty, which, despite its lack of ability for the player to affect the environment, (besides through use of bullets that is) sometimes its just fun.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Hmmm...certainly another interesting article, and one that I find compelling. I can see that dynamic content is a direction for the industry, even a very good one, but I also like a little meat with my cheese and bread. It feels like a lot of games used to trenchcoat their characters (Prime example: Dante. I love the DMC series, but Dante is, essentially, a badass to be a badass. He evolves, certainly, but he is not a wonderfully compelling character.) and we are just now kind of moving away from that. Good characterization is a dying art, it seems and I don't like that. I've been keeping up with the Ratings War in the Forum RP board and they've been having a discussion (between rounds) about the "code" to win the RW: it seems to be trenchcoating (or rather, armor plating, in Ultrajoe's case (don't kill me please, I'm only a child)), creating a character with loosely defined powers and winging it. They've also been saying how it's exploiting the system, but that's a moral thing, go read the damn conversation if you want to know more. I very much enjoy well-written, well-developed characters and well-written plots. What you're suggesting also sounds compelling, but in the way chess is compelling, not the way novels are compelling. I don't think we need to stop treating games as visual novels, but I do think that it needs to stop being the only thing we have.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Thanks for this great article!

One of the greatest examples of this Dynamic Content is Boxhead: Zombie Wars [http://www.boxheadzombiewars.com/]. Each time you play, you start off from scratch with just a couple of weapons at your disposal. By going on large zombie killing sprees you get access to more powerful (and more expensive) weapons, to go on larger sprees. Each game plays differently and there are so many different tactics you can try. Do you focus on turrets, do you try a barrel streak, ... In these games the difficulty setting really matters because it completely changes the pace of the game and the strategies you need to apply in order to stay alive.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I think a good example of this is something like the ASCII roguelikes and the RTS/simulation Dwarf Fortress. These games are different every time you play them because almost everything is dynamic and hence lend themselves to the best player-made stories (that's the goal of DF, make a game that naturally produces stories). A player-made story is infinitely superior to a pre-written one because you know you had a real part in it, not one that was written in a script but one you developed through your own actions. What these games also have is permadeath. Any error you make remains part of your story just as any success. If you fail you fail permanently, being the player doesn't give you a magical SNAFU-recovery kit (in most games people can just load if anything goes seriously wrong, that means their story is pretty much a series of successes). If your fortress falls to a siege you don't get to rewind (unless you cheat), the fortress has fallen and all you can do is send another expedition and make a new one, hopefully learning from the errors of the previous fort.

Anyway, DF is way too complex for most people. The success of Carnival Games comes indeed from the return to gaming's arcade roots, what's called new gaming and casual gaming is really just old gaming.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I think, in principle, dynamic content is a fantastic idea, and should work in theory. Mount & Blade, despite being a graphically poor game, and one with some problems in combat, has a big world without a story line to follow - you make your own path and follow that to fame and fortune. Similar with the X series, although they do keep trying to make the token storyline work, heh.

The problem I have with dynamic content is 2 pronged:
* Stock phrases and/or text quickly get old. The typical automatic mission generator simply can't pass the turning test when it comes up with dynamic text/audio, and stock text/audio gets repetitative after not too long.

* Trying to express a story dynamically is borderline impossible, I think - or more accurately, impossible to do in a dynamic way. Even the great Deus Ex followed an ultimately linear path - Ok, it was a WIDE linear path, and you could position yourself anywhere on that path, but still the arching story was linear and non-dynamic.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Anyway, DF is way too complex for most people. The success of Carnival Games comes indeed from the return to gaming's arcade roots, what's called new gaming and casual gaming is really just old gaming.
Yeah, to be fair I did try and use it, but the ascii interface and complexity of the website tutorial was just too much for me to get into it.

nevernow

Jun 25, 2009
Is it just me, or the article has not much to do with level-based and sandbox game models, and more to do with shoehorning some RPG elements in GTA (something that was partially done in San Andreas)?

I think the main problem with increasing the openness is sandbox games is the loss of focus for the player and the inability to deliver a coherent story with a defined plot progress. Which is not necessarily a problem, by the way. It's the same, (relatively) old argument: movies and games, games that want to be movies, games that do not need to be movies (my opinion). Also, I usually like non-plot-based movies. :)

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
John, you ignorant slut.

You know as well as anybody that while level design is a significant cost, the biggest development cost comes in the form of assets. Though those will probably get cost prohibitive before too long.

That being said, level design is still a significant cost, but your dynamic content fix is already a style play that's well represented in varying degrees in the CRPG and management sim genres, though there's always room for titles at that particular party, and there will always be those who enjoy more narrative games.

There are other, simpler, solutions to the level design issue. There's the popular favorite, user generated content, with mods and map editors and suchlike, and there's also my preferred option, the episodic release. When it costs significantly less than a launch day AAA release, it gives you a chance to see if the game is the sort of thing you like, and gives you the option to follow on, while relieving the developer of the pressure to create and playtest and debug a full set of maps by release day.

But all this tangentially touches on one of the more interesting design questions, particularly in the MMORPG genre, of metaplot vs. player agency. How do you balance a a game with a narrative that runs from point A to point B, yet still allow players the opportunity to influence the world? Eve is amazing in the degree of agency afforded to players, while WoW otoh...

One of my solutions is the Neverwinter Nights solutions, which gives GMs editor tools to put together scenarios for their guild to play through (just like a tabletop rpg), but as part of the editor's toolbox, there will be certain potentially expendable persistent NPCs, whose life or death or attitudes towards the PCs is driven by what occurs in the adventure, and whose potential demise would affect whatever metaplot is being created by the publisher. I had a mostly cyberpunk/Shadowrun sort of setting in mind for that sort of a title.

Another solution I had in mind was a three tired game. I read an sf story back in the 80s that had humans contracting with aliens that had a lifespan of 10,000 years to some work on some project or another. Thing is, the humans had to subcontract to an insect sized race of aliens with a lifespan of only 24 hours to finish some of the components they needed. How does this translate into a game? In this case, the long lived aliens are represented by the publisher, who have some bigger metaplot ongoing. The short term is represented by casual gamers, who jump on to play quick casual games for free. In the middle we have the paying gamers, who are collecting resources from a block of games being played by the casual gamers to contribute to their part of their project.

The replayability question also highlights another difference in gameplay styles, that of performance games vs. improv game. Performance games are those games where you keep retrying and practicing the level until you get it right, for varying defeinitions of right, which could include unlocking achievements, or beating the level at a higher difficulty. See Super Mario Bros., Guitar Hero, DDR, et al. Improv games have more dynamic environments.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:
Krakyn said:
snip
I wasn't arguing about dynamic content, but rather games with no directional progression. Dynamic content could work well with a lot of games.

The part I'm most upset about is the "games don't need a story, look at Pacman and Q-bert" argument. I didn't say that we don't need games like that, I told him not to fuck up the games I like in the process. One shouldn't eclipse another, they can easily be two separate entities. Thank god.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I'm not sure how long the author has been playing video games(I've been playing them 30 years myself), but the concept of dividing a game into levels did not just begin with Doom, Wolfenstein, and other FPSes. The concept of levels connected by some storyline(however thin or shallow) existed even in some of the old arcade games. As for the save feature, that was a necessity to satisfy gamers' demands for ever larger and longer games; the games got bigger, but the human being's ability to invest such time and effort as required by the game in a single session did not change. So, the ability to save progress and return later had to be included.

As for the concept of dynamic content, I personally do not consider simply shuffling around the same gaming elements as creating dynamic content(which is all the examples presented, and indeed most games touting dynamic content, do). Current methods of "dynamic content" utilize the same assets shuffled about in various ways to give the illusion that there is something new and different, however, this is only an illusion. The basic game and how the game is played has not changed. The gamer's strategies and approaches to the game do not change as a result of this "dynamic content".

Dynamic content, in my mind, would be having the game actually invent a whole new region, level, item, monster, npc, or other assets on the fly or as the game progresses(or at the very least be able to research such assets and chose the appropriate ones for the current progression of the game) and insert those assets into the game at appropriate moments. However, this requires the game to do something that, as far as I know, is impossible for any computer to do, have an imagination. The game would also have to remember what it has done on prior gaming sessions such to not repeat the same content over and over, at least not until the gamer has completed the content at least once. Achieving this sort of dynamic content creation would require far more resources and effort than any current linear game, thus worsening the costs of game creation. Right now, the only kind of game that truly has dynamic content is the pen-and-paper role-playing game, because it uses the ongoing imagination of the human being to generate truly new content.

As I mentioned earlier, ever expanding games necessitated the invention of the save feature because the capacity of the human being did not change with the size of the game. However, this did not stop people from wanting ever bigger games to run away from reality. We wanted games that take us away from reality(yet, ironically, we keep demanding ever more realism in the game, destroying the fantasy of the gaming world), but even further, we wanted ever bigger games in which to more permanently immerse ourselves so that we don't have to deal with the real-world. We are constantly seeking a game that is capable of substituting for real-life. However, such a game cannot be created because it is impossible to generate all the assets and logic needed to create such a game. Just creating a truly realistic, fully interactive, dynamic parking lot could take years, never mind a city or entire nation. This is a problem of the gamer having, in my opinion, an unbalanced perspective on life and gaming. Games and gaming are merely one part of life, real-life, and they can never be a substitute for the entirety of real-life. One plays games for a momentary desire for entertainment and thrill-seeking. It's not meant to be a permanent thing, and, no matter how much you run, you can never escape real-life(there is a catastrophic solution, but I'd really rather not talk about that).

I assert that the problem of games today is not exactly that they need more content or dynamic content. Instead, I think the real problem is that the experience of games today has become too dilute. A single development house is only capable of generating just so much into a game in a given amount of time. But, this constant push for ever larger games has necessitated stretching that content out over a much larger game-space. The result is that the gamer receives an experience that lacks the intensity necessary for him to derive a sense of fun. I think the better solution would be to shift our expectations about gaming to be more reasonable with what can be achieved and focus on making a more intense, fulfilling experience rather than a progressively prolonged experience.

Along with this, my opinion is that replay-value has been severely perverted with the idea of easter-eggs and achievements in games, which have become substitutes for actual quality content in games and further serve to dilute the gaming experience. In my personal opinion, the assessment of replay-value is whether the game provides an experience that you seek to repeat for the pleasure of having that experience, as opposed to the chore of hunting for menial easter-eggs or grinding out achievements. Basically, is the game actually fun enough such that you want to have that fun repeatedly, or are you just going through the motions because there is some trophy to obtain.

(Another wall-of-text from the Geizr, but I don't feel so bad about it this time, cause I see several others have done the same.)

Kazturkey

Mar 1, 2009
John Scott Tynes said:

Developers need to stop treating games like they're virtual books and start crafting more dynamic experiences.

Read Full Article
Uhm, really no. GTA4 had great story missions, the levels were great fun and well written. If you want to make a game 100% dynamic you have to sacrifice the story and to a certain extent the gameplay in order to satisfy your need for replayability. Where would huge setpieces like "Three leaf clover" be if we went your route? That level is the most fun I've had in a game in ages.

In any case, GTA4 is fairly dynamic already. Only, rather than your broad, expansive goals, you might set yourself short term goals such as "I need a better car" or "I want to murder some dudes" Guess what the dynamic game mechanic that makes these challenging is? The police. And if you decide to have some fun and shoot back, it gets MORE challenging and fun! Hell, I've been run to ground by the police in a hospital lobby and ended up defending my position from a six star wanted rating for almost a quarter of an hour and I had GREAT fun! Throwing molotovs at the door as the police ran through, the fire causing them to scream and run, eventually I ran out of ammunition for everything but my sniper rifle and had to run out to the dead policemen for some ammo, as I ran out the door dozens of assault rifle shots hit my chest and I died. This kind of dynamic content is ALREADY in GTA4 and it's there in ADDITION to the story missions.

Oh and those ancient arcade games weren't very fun. Try playing one now, on the same day as playing a bit of GTA4. Tell me which you enjoyed more.

Shindiggity

Jul 11, 2008
The author of this article does not seem to have much respect for game developers at all. Game developers craft an experience for players not because they are told to, but because they enjoy doing it. The line "Developers need to stop treating games like they're virtual books and start crafting more dynamic experiences" sounds more like the tantrum of a 12 year-old than a grown man with some creative and constructive feedback. Developers don't treat games like 'virtual books', they simply wish to create an engaging and emotional experience for the player.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
Dooly95 said:
John Scott Tynes said:

Read Full Article
The Sims: GTA Ver.

That's really all I got from that. Really. Admittedly, a really, really advanced take on the Sims.

I like my narrative in games. Imagine if all we did in GTA was to steal a car and get from point A to point B with each level making the amount of police chasing you increasing. Pac-Man, again.

Realistically, I wonder if we have A.I. that can manage that. Or assuming we do, if our PCs or gaming machines can run it. The chess machine looks like it fits in my closet. And that's basically what this is, isn't it? A response to a player's actions that will cause a change in the player's surroundings - I might be on a limb, but this sounds like... chess.
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
Good god, people, why did you read this and get the idea that we should drop narrative content entirely from our games?!

You know how in games like, say... Prototype or Assassin's Creed, people say that the story is good but the side- or sub-missions are not? Let's make those dynamic; procedurally creating villains, allies, objectives, whatever. Chosen objectives from a list, maybe strung together or combined. Hell, let's use this technique to generate chains of side-missions. Side-chains, in fact. These run parallel to the main story, but don't necessarily advance on it. They give loot and treasure and new safehouses, or give extra strength to the faction they relate to, whatever. But they're not the 'main storyline' missions. And even elements of those can be dynamic, but not compromise the experience.

It's time for an example, using Assassin's Creed. You may or may not care, so I've hidden it inside a drop-down tag. If you don't care, you're done with my post here.

Click on, please, but be warned. It's long. Due to said length, I've broken it into parts.

So, let's have an example. Things care clearer with examples. Assassin's Creed was a fun game which got boring -fast-, so let's use that. It's been a while since I played, so I might be fuzzy on some specifics. That's entirely not the point. Don't bother criticise me for it; it makes no difference. This is just an example. I also realise that having dynamic missions might hurt the premise; that you're re-living memories, because memories are static, but that's boring, and it bored me, so let's go.

This is what Assassin's Creed is like, and what I'd be wanting to do to it.
In Assassin's Creed, you have a couple of different factions. Now, I didn't get all the way through the game, but I at least know about the Assassins and the Knights-Templar. These guys are opposed, and you belong to the Assassins. That's fine. But it's fairly shallow. Let's make some sub-factions, headed by leaders in each city. Now we have at least 3-4 factions each side. Now each leader might favour different tactics, but that'll just influence the missions you get.

So you do the first couple of missions in the game, learn about the story, and then find your way over to Damascus. You get into the lower city; or roughly one third is opened to you (from memory, if I'm wrong, it's not the point). Now the leader of the Assassin Guild in Lower Damascus is having a lot of pressure put on him by the Templar. So you have to do him some favours before he'll let you do the main quest, which was assassinating some priority target or another.

Below are my ideas for how I'd be going about setting up what I've spoken about in the Premise.
So, you're an assassin. What sort of quests could you do? Assassination. Information hunting. Thievery. Tailing people. Escorting people. There, we have 5. I forget all the ones they had in the game, but they were similar. But they were boring, and so will these be unless we stop it. So we make them A) largely random, and B) able to be tacked onto one another, or chained.

To accomplish A, we provide random settings within the sandbox world, we get random 'interruption' events to occur; like Templar breaking into the building or event, weather events which make things harder or easier (this is less applicable in the Middle East than it would be in some American city, but it's a good idea), random time of day, maybe there's a riot, maybe it's during some religious-time when everyone goes to the mosque. That's our random elements. Only two factors, because I'm pressed for time here, but it'll work. At least, it'll work better than the original game did.

We accomplish B by doing exactly as I said; chaining. We get a missions to do X, where X is some objective, or involves some person. Then the next mission (which may or may not be compulsory) will chain off of #1, and involve X in some other way. Maybe #2 happens because of X, maybe it involves X making a return appearance, maybe something went wrong in mission #1. Having missions where you can fail them and the game keeps going is a great idea, and really needs to be explored. It basically deserves its own post, but I'm including it here because it's important. But you now have a non-set chain of missions. Not just with random elements, but with non-definite total structure.

Here's the meat of this. If nothing else, read this. This ties in the Mechanics to the Premise, and we go through a sample mission-chain generated using my principles.
So Altair takes his quest from Lower Damascus' Leader. He has to get some documents out of an office which is liable to be ransacked by the Templar, and give them to a courier for safekeeping. These are very important to the Assassins, and will compromise a lot of people if they're taken. So you, as Altair, go find the marked building on your map.

Depending on the route you take, you may or may not find Templar on the way. If you do find them, they may or may not be on the way to the office. So you'd have to beat them there, and grab what you need, or fight them in the streets. But this might not happen. So you go rushing out to this office, and drop in through the roof. While you're in there looking for these documents (there might be 3-4 spawn points, or require a quicktime sequence, or something), something happens. The Templar start banging on the door, in this example. You saw them on the way here, so you rushed ahead via the rooftops and beat them soundly. But they took a shortcut themselves, so you didn't have as much time as you thought. Luckily, you grab the document and get halfway up the lattice before they get in. But they notice you. So now you have to get to the courier and drop the intel before the Templar get to you. Thus ensues a rooftop chase, where they're firing arrows or throwing stones, and pop up here and there in your path. There are no civilians to just blend in with because they're all praying. So you have to run, or fight.

But you make it there, and you drop the documents. Mission accomplished. Mission #2 - the Courier has been captured. Great. He failed at delivering the documents. Hell, he might have been paid off by the Templar. You have to go and rescue him before he's tortured or beaten any more, and retrieve the documents. He's being escorted by some Templar back to their stronghold. So now that prayer-time is over, people are on the streets again. This is actually disadvantageous, because fighting will be harder. You leap off of a building and knife a Templar guard, but the others tackle you and the courier makes it to their stronghold. He actually ran away from the guards, and straight to the Templar. The guy's a leak. Mission #2 failed, so we move onto #3. Assuming you don't die. Note that #2 wasn't doomed to failure because he was a leak, it was merely more difficult.

Mission the Third. We need to break into the stronghold, and kill our turncoat. It's night-time by now, and there's a storm going. We're in the middle east, so there's no rain, but there's sand. Everywhere. Climbing rooves is more difficult, takes longer, and you might fall if you're not quick on your X button or Left Trigger. Whatever button Ubisoft feel like. So you'll have to stealthily blend in with the crowd, huddling against the sand, and make your way through the marketplace to the Templar camp just outside town. It's just off the road, so getting close is easy. But just as you do, another Templar guard rides in on a horse, and leaps off, running inside. Very shortly after, a whole bunch of guards run out, and follow this guy into the town. There's something going on which drew their attention. Great. Now, there might have been a mechanism for you to do this, and it would probably have been hard, but it sometimes happens for free. This is what makes it interesting. Because of the fewer guards, you can use your hidden blade to kill the lone sentry, and sneak in, kill the guy (who surely pleads for his life), and get the documents. On the way out, the guards come -back-. Great. Now we're running for our lives. Again. But losing them isn't too hard due to the sandstorm. They can't move very well. Armour doesn't work well when it's full of sand. So you make it back to the leader of the Assassins in Lower Damascus, present the documents, which he promptly burns or puts into a safe, or something, and viola. We've had a non-definite mission structure.

And there's a chain of missions for you which wasn't always going to be. You could have succeeded at #2, and then the Templar make a move on you as you're going back to base to turn in the mission. You could have failed #1, and had to steal the documents before they could be taken to the Templar base. You could have failed #3, and had to do some #4, which would likely have been very hard. Or you might have just lost totally, and there now be more Templar and fewer friendlies around the city. All sorts of different outcomes from one idea - some documents they want, and you don't want them to have it. That's the power of a dynamic, branching mission structure, with dynamic weather, time, and crowd events.

Shindiggity

Jul 11, 2008
I completely agree that it would be nice to have procedurally generated villians, storylines etc. but wouldn't that be even more trouble and effort than making a game with these horrific 'levels'? I would agree 100% with the author of the article, but he just made it seem as if it had to be his way or no way at all. Different people make different games. Could you imagine if Silent Hill 2 had procedurally generated content? It would completely suck you out of the story and mood.
Also I agree with you, Fredrick. Games are something of a collector's item to me, and it makes very little sense how shallow people can be and simply give a game away when they're done. Unless it's a crap game, of course.