The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
bcponpcp27 said:
Does S.T.A.L.K.E.R count as an FPS? Because that game is crazy hard.
is it a shooter? yes. is it in a first person perspective? yes. so yes, its an fps so it counts.

anyway, far cry on realistic takes the cake. the game is hard enough on normal mode, but shit, i never got past the second level on realistic.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on Realistic setting. It's a one shot kill kinda thing anyway.
But I was able to solo realistic using a silenced pistol. And I suck at shooters.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, Gears 2 was way easier.... Gears 1 on the hardest difficulty wasn't too bad until you got to RAAM. 11 tries it took me....

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Halo 2 and 3 on mythic difficulty were harder than Halo 1 on Legendary.
I agree, but Halo 2 had to be the hardest (except for "Crow's Nest" and "Cortana" from Halo 3). This was because even if you tried Legendary with a friend here, one person's death would result in resetting to the last checkpoint. Although that made it kind of more fun, if you were playing with someone good.

I'm not sure but I think that Halo 3 has a skull for that? I still think Halo 2 is harder--and better--though.

Georg8

Jun 16, 2009
foxlovingfreak said:
Bioshock on the hardest difficulty with all the chambers that normally revive you turned off.
not even close that's a complete cakewalk, compared to half of the cod4 veteran missions.

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
One of the chapters from FINAL DOOM, I think it was The Plutonia one, I couldn't finish it on normal difficulty despite finishing the other chapter and the games preceeding it. There was demons everywhere which gave you very little room to dodge missiles, fire balls etc, also the last boss had several Arch Viles around it and a Cyber Demon which I only reached by cheating through most of the game.

Aug 25, 2009
OpiateChicken said:
MelasZepheos said:
Halo 2 and 3 on mythic difficulty were harder than Halo 1 on Legendary.
I agree, but Halo 2 had to be the hardest (except for "Crow's Nest" and "Cortana" from Halo 3). This was because even if you tried Legendary with a friend here, one person's death would result in resetting to the last checkpoint. Although that made it kind of more fun, if you were playing with someone good.

I'm not sure but I think that Halo 3 has a skull for that? I still think Halo 2 is harder--and better--though.
I agree that Halo 2 is the harder, I just wanted to point out that both of them were harder than Halo 1. The skull on Halo 3 is called the 'Iron' skull, and it means that when either of you die you have to restart the mission, which is a whole new world of annoyance and difficulty.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
CoD4 on veteran: Wasn't all that hard until I reached No Fighting in the War Room. It almost made me quit.

CoD:WaW on veteran: Made me quit because of the massive grenade spam and enemies killing me from 1000 meters when I only peeked and their back was turned. Annoying psychic AI.

FEAR 1 on extreme: Freaking impossible, in my opinion.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Final Doom is well known as hard as nails, back when I was playing the tournie kings I couldn't crack it, and neither could they. I worked with a Guy that finished it, he was shit at games but something about Final Doom made him practise till he was total Pro at it.

System Shock (no explanation needed)

kronoset

Jan 1, 2009
Halo ODST firefight (grunts w/ grenades) and star wars battlefront 2 online on elite difficulty with auto-aim and targeting off.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on Realistic setting. It's a one shot kill kinda thing anyway.
thats pretty easy just make sure you have an sniper and assult rifle and spawn the enemies then fall back and snipe them all

Jun 11, 2008
Any Call of Duty on Veteran is extremely difficult to complete also the Halos on Mythic and Gears on insane nothing else springs to mind.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
CyberAkuma said:
Far Cry - Realistic Mode
Halo 1 - Legendary Difficulty
S.W.A.T 4
Doom 1&2 on Nightmare Difficulty
Pah, any game made after 2000 is automatically disqualified.
EXCEPT
Operation Flashpoint on full simulation.
just looked through the gameplay videos of that series... you people ain't lying when you say that series is hard.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
I did beat S.T.A.L.K.E.R - both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky on the highest difficulty settings.
While I agree that the game is hard as balls, the only part of it that is very difficult is the beginning when you are immensly weak due to crappy weaponry and armor. As soon as you get over that hump (after Garbage/Bar) the game becomes a lot easier. Don't get me wrong - the game is hard as balls still but I'd say that Far Cry 1 on Realistic Mode was way more difficult.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R at least has a Quick Save button, Far Cry on the PC when released had no Quicksave, only checkpoint that were far between each other.

Both F.E.A.R 1 and 2 was immensly easy for me even on the highest difficulty settings quite simply because the player has an edge over the enemy with the slowmo.

Mind you people. Gears of War is a third person shooter and does not suit in this thread at all.

I'm willing to try out Operation Flashpoint, even though OF2 was quite boring. ArmA II sounds like something I should definetly try out.