The hardest FPS of all time, making a list

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hey guys

I'm pulling together a top 5 - maybe top 10 list of the most difficult FPS games of all time.
Even though I have a very long experience with FPS games (started with Wolf3D: Spear of Destiny) they are quite a lot of FPS games out there that I haven't tried.

I would like people to list their mind numbing, thumb breaking, teeth grinding and hard as balls FPS games they remember that are immensly difficult to beat.

The games I was going ot put up on the list this far are:

Far Cry - Realistic Mode
Halo 1 - Legendary Difficulty
S.W.A.T 4
Doom 1&2 on Nightmare Difficulty

I am open to any other serious suggestions.
Oh, and please don't put any Tournament Based FPS game son the list (Like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament) becuase those games don't really classify since they do not even have a Single Player campaign.

Cheers.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I agree with Far Cry on that list, Haven't played S.W.A.T but I can see why it would be hard.

I don't think Doom 1 was that difficult, I recently replayed it through on that setting and although it wasn't easy, it was not the hardest game ever.

Can I make an input of not putting things down that were just trial and error hard? Like "I wanna be the guy", (not an FPS but very trial and error hard instead of skill based)
CyberAkuma said:
Oh, and please don't put any Tournament Based FPS game son the list (Like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament)
UT3 does.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on Realistic setting. It's a one shot kill kinda thing anyway.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Some of the high difficulty challenges and hard mode missions in Timesplitters 2 were frustratingly difficult at times, much harder than what I have seen in most other FPSs.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Rainbow 6 Veagas (1 and 2) were both difficult (meaning I died alot) on the hardest difficulty.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Playing bloody Call of Duty: World at War on veteran. Thousands upon thousands of grenades laser-designated into my face.
Really? I did it on Veteran pretty easily, just kept moving and shooting for the most part.

My hardest FPS have to be Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing and all the ones you've already said.

COD2 and 4 were quite hard on their Hardest difficulty too.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
The first level Dues Ex was so buggy, annoying and downright dull. Which made it rather hard, I never got passed that level.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

There are missions in that game that made me cry! I remember one mission in particular where you and your three squadmates are dropped on an island (Kolgujev ~ 50-100km^2?) and asked to find and destroy three anti-air installations. Yeah, it's tough!

I also like the fact that it only takes one bullet to kill you.

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and ArmA II run circles around most FPS games when it comes to difficulty.

The_Graff

Oct 21, 2009
Did somebody say "System Shock 2", 'cos I thought I heard somebody say "System Shock 2"

May 28, 2009
tsb247 said:
There are missions in that game that made me cry! I remember one mission in particular where you and your three squadmates are dropped on an island (Kolgujev ~ 50-100km^2?) and asked to find and destroy three anti-air installations. Yeah, it's tough!
That one almost always ended in my squad dying and me gallivanting around in a stolen T-80, hunting down the other anti-air defence systems.

There was also that one where you had to find and disable a helicopter base. I had a lot of trouble finding it at first, and my attempts at stealthing my way through the base would always end in failure and my squad making a hasty escape in one of the helicopters to just strafe the damn place.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
STALKER Clear Sky. (Shadow of Chernobyl doesn't even compare how hard this game is)

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
I never got past level 2 on Thief: The Dark Project
Of course I was just a wee lad.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 on Realistic setting. It's a one shot kill kinda thing anyway.
I found that game pretty tough even on the normal setting.

I will also suggest Far Cry 2 on the hardest setting, that is one I didn't have the patience to finish.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
KillerMidget said:
tsb247 said:
That one almost always ended in my squad dying and me gallivanting around in a stolen T-80, hunting down the other anti-air defence systems.

There was also that one where you had to find and disable a helicopter base. I had a lot of trouble finding it at first, and my attempts at stealthing my way through the base would always end in failure and my squad making a hasty escape in one of the helicopters to just strafe the damn place.
I tried to forget that helicopter base mission. It took me forever to get through it because they kept seeing me. I was able to sneak up and place charges on a couple of them, but there were some that were just downright difficult to get close to. I too remember using one of the Hinds to destroy the entire base. It wasn't exactly subtle (or professional), but it was cool!

Remember the mission near the end of the game where you had to infiltrate the house and steal the documents? It took me a month to get that one right - there's a freak'n army stationed around that house!