The hell is wrong with people?!

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Elfgore said:
Did people try and break up the fight, nope. They just sat there recording it for the internet. It's disgusting.
Would you try to break up the fight?
If so, why? Out of some misguided sense of justice?
The black guy clearly wanted to fight (he kept calling them out when they were walking away, he threw the first punch) and he got more than what he was asking for.
The problem is that he got hit in the head so much that he's probably dumber than he was before.
Because a person might not want to witness someone being badly hurt?
Or because any 'lesson to be learned' was learned just from having that great lummox sat on him and landing a few punches, and the repeated, gratuitous beating he got was entirely disproportionate? It's lucky that the 'victor' wasn't punching properly or the guy could have been *seriously* injured.
And before you ask, I have actually intervened in similar situations. Managed to save someone's teeth after some psycho starting stomping a grounded adversary - by physically lifting the attacker off and carrying him away. Not bad for a gangly sod who weighed about 9 stone at the time, if I do say so myself.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Pluvia said:
Robert Marrs said:
Frission said:
Ugh. It guess it goes to show that people who were victimized make the most vicious bullies.
I guess the difference here is that those guys don't let him go afterwards. The kid did walk away after.

Anyway, I suppose just complaining about it isn'y useful, so I reported this and sent a complaint to youtube, because that's what the button is for. Say that I'm oversensitive or not, at least something was done.
Are you serious? You reported it? Honestly I will try to refrain from getting too personal here. Escapist rules and all. Why would you be so worked up about it that you feel the need to prevent other people from seeing it? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Its pretty much third party censorship. If you don't like it just don't watch it. No reason to try and control other people. If you don't like the way the burger place down the street cooks their burgers do you try and campaign against them? Simply put mind your own business.
Your logic is absurd, you make it sound like reporting something is trying to "control other people".

The sense of entitlement is this post could level houses.
How is it different? If your going to make the claim at least back it up. If you are reporting something that does not negatively impact your life you are doing it for the sake of trying to prevent other people from seeing it. Either that or you feel like it was so reprehensible that it shouldn't be allowed to be...... seen by other people. You could just not watch it but you feel the need to stop it. So yeah I would say the logic is pretty sound. Its not entitlement to say people should just not watch or not participate if they don't agree so long as is doesn't actually involve them.

EDIT: Well I saw you kind of did try to explain your stance while responding to someone else but I would still have to disagree. I can't see how a state of inaction (or not reporting something) could be tied into entitlement. My saying that you shouldn't report something like that is just saying that other people shouldn't try and prevent other people from seeing something they find morally offensive because its not their place to decide that for everyone. While they are certainly in their right to report it they would be just as well off never watching it again. I would never have this "entitlement" you have accused me of having if OTHER PEOPLE were not trying to control what the rest of the world can and cannot see under the guise of holding the moral high ground. Don't like it just walk away.

Basically I'm not saying people are not allowed to be offended. They just shouldn't feel entitled to make a decision for everyone else. Calling my position entitled is about as ironic as it gets.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Elfgore said:
Did people try and break up the fight, nope. They just sat there recording it for the internet. It's disgusting.
Oh I know bro, it irks me too. I mean, people not wanting to intervene when 2 violent strangers are going at it? C'mon. I really [http://www.fox19.com/story/12914570/man-stabbed-after-trying-to-break-up-fight-in-florence] can't think [http://www.wboy.com/story/23734568/state-police-man-stabbed-after-breaking-up-fight-in-morgantown] of one [http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/man-killed-break-fight-women-article-1.1423658] damn reason [http://www.citynews.ca/2014/03/11/victim-in-fatal-etobicoke-stabbing-was-trying-to-break-up-fight-police/] why these pussies [http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/10/24/man-stabbed-to-death-when-trying-to-break-up-a-fight/] don't want to [http://www.kfbk.com/articles/kfbk-news-461777/sacramento-man-stabbed-after-trying-to-12151926] break up a fight [http://wpri.com/2014/03/02/man-fatally-stabbed-after-fight-on-atwells-avenue/].

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
144 said:
ironic that you'd watch this video and think yourself morally superior.
When did I say I considered myself morally superior? If you actually read my post you would see I was marking myself as inferior because I admitted I would've thrown a final parting shot even after the fight was over because I'm very vindictive and spiteful. I don't live anywhere noteworthy and nobody is ever going to write a song about my hometown. But there are countless famous musicians from New York who let their civic pride hang out for all to see. And people latch on to that because "Hey! I'm from New York, the greatest city in the world according to X amount of famous people, therefore I'm better than you." and use that logic to feed their egos, which annoys me. Civic pride is not part of who I am because I grew up in a town that isn't worth a shit and if I found out tomorrow that it was obliterated in a nuclear strike I'd only say 'good riddance.'

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Pluvia said:
Robert Marrs said:
Pluvia said:
Your logic is absurd, you make it sound like reporting something is trying to "control other people".

The sense of entitlement is this post could level houses.
How is it different? If your going to make the claim at least back it up. If you are reporting something that does not negatively impact your life you are doing it for the sake of trying to prevent other people from seeing it. Either that or you feel like it was so reprehensible that it shouldn't be allowed to be...... seen by other people. You could just not watch it but you feel the need to stop it. So yeah I would say the logic is pretty sound. Its not entitlement to say people should just not watch or not participate if they don't agree so long as is doesn't actually involve them.
What claim? That you could actually level houses with that? That's called an exaggeration, it's probably not possible to physically level houses with your post, though I'm sure it'd come close.

Anyway if you want to see my response to this just scroll up a bit. In the meantime if you don't want to report it you're free not to. If you do, you're free to do. If you dislike people disagreeing with you, tough, your opinion is no more valid than theirs. Thinking they made a decision for everyone else when everyone else is free to react in whatever way they see fit is crazy logic. You're not actually saying he made a decision for everyone else, you're saying those that don't agree with your decision should just do it anyway, just because.
I saw that post of yours and edited my post accordingly. You should refer to that for my response to your response.

Jun 11, 2008
ForumSafari said:
Glademaster said:
That said he shouldn't have went on the way he did he could have just walked away. Although, there is quite possibly more behind this but I'm just going on like the video is all that happened.
The problem with the idea that you can just walk away is that often you can't. If someone starts a fight with you in public then you're not proving a point or fighting to first blood, if you try and 'be the better man' and walk away all it might get you is stabbed in the back.
Not really. In this situation and most others you can nearly always walk away in some shape or form and this is one of them. Also turn around and walk away does not actually mean do a 180 from the person that acted aggressive to you while they are still being aggressive. In the area he is in there are plenty of options to remove himself from the situation.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Robert Marrs said:
I'm perfectly in my right to report it and move on, instead of just impotently winging. That's the reason the button is there and the video may even count as criminal content.

I did what I thought was right. I don't feel the need to consider the roman coliseum like spectators.
In the US or wherever you're from you may have a culture of just ignoring it, or there may just be the school mentality of not being a "snitch", but adults have some civic responsibility. I'm not the main administrator of youtube and they may just choose to ignore me if this doesn't break the site's policies. I just made a complaint, it's their choice to heed it or not.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Glademaster said:
Not really. In this situation and most others you can nearly always walk away in some shape or form and this is one of them. Also turn around and walk away does not actually mean do a 180 from the person that acted aggressive to you while they are still being aggressive. In the area he is in there are plenty of options to remove himself from the situation.
If it were a playground or a nightclub I'd agree, but if a grown man attacks you in public, in broad daylight and with witnesses for what appears to be no real reason then God knows what they're thinking and I can totally understand someone wanting to ensure that they can escape safely. That shit just is not normal human behaviour and would wig anyone out.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Inazuma1 said:
144 said:
Inazuma1 said:
New Yorkers are so far up their own asses about being from New York that they think it makes them better then everyone else. And "SuckMyDick" guy sounded like another typical New Yorker going around posturing and thinking he's untouchable. And he got the shit kicked out of him for it. So I actually found it entertaining to see the guy get his. The other guy shouldn't have kept piling on punches after he overpowered New Yorker, but I can't really blame him. New Yorker throws the first punch after antagonizing you for a solid 35 seconds that we see on the video and you wouldn't start throwing down like there was no tomorrow? Please. The adrenaline would throw you into a whole other gear where all rationality goes out the window. Hell I probably would've kicked him one last time before leaving so Arizona showed more restraint than I would've in the same situation.
This guy doesn't speak for 8.3 million people. He's the small vocal minority of civic pride - the same that you find in Boston, Texas, LA, Miami, and everywhere else. Even where you live. To make that kind of stereotype, you're part of the problem, and it's ironic that you'd watch this video and think yourself morally superior.
When did I say I considered myself morally superior? If you actually read my post you would see I was marking myself as inferior because I admitted I would've thrown a final parting shot even after the fight was over because I'm very vindictive and spiteful. I don't live anywhere noteworthy and nobody is ever going to write a song about my hometown. But there are countless famous musicians from New York who let their civic pride hang out for all to see. And people latch on to that because "Hey! I'm from New York, the greatest city in the world according to X amount of famous people, therefore I'm better than you." and use that logic to feed their egos, which annoys me. Civic pride is not part of who I am because I grew up in a town that isn't worth a shit and if I found out tomorrow that it was obliterated in a nuclear strike I'd only say 'good riddance.'
It doesn't matter that you didn't explicitly say you consider yourself morally superior, it's implicit in the image of yourself you've painted through your words.

What bothered me was your use of the idea of the "typical New Yorker." Because you don't know typical New Yorkers, and your follow-up post only solidified this belief. I see typical New Yorkers. I see lots of New Yorkers. I also see atypical ones. There are so many. And one of the atypical types of New Yorker is a loud douchebag who behaves as you've described, and as the boy in this video. But what you've done is confused this stereotype, a prick who happens to be from New York, with an archetype of the New Yorker, which he is not. And you've done this because you don't know any better.

Sometimes, people from Nowheresville tell me that I don't understand this or that because I'm not from a small place like they are (the "real America" argument is akin to this), but I don't assume that everyone from their hometown behaves that way, just some people.
Similarly, I don't think that everyone from your town would say "good riddance" following their home's nuclear destruction - just the sociopaths.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elfgore said:
So, As I browsed facebook on of my redneck friends shared a video.

So yeah, the I can understand incapacitating someone after they attack you. But continuing to punch him while he's down and then his friend shouting "Yeah!" like his friend just beat up Satan is taking it too far. Did people try and break up the fight, nope. They just sat there recording it for the internet. It's disgusting.

snip

What is wrong with people? How can they just laugh at another human being beat up?
1. If you put just want to make comments at someone, fine, but you put hands on someone, they are within their rights to respond. And there is, hear this clearly, no obligation for them to go through any kind of measure escalation of force. If someone comes up and puts hands on you, they mean you harm. You don't have to gradually increase force. You can respond with every bit of strength you have, because you have no idea how much harm they mean you and you should not have to gamble to find out.

2. If you've ever found yourself in an actual fight -- not a controlled situation, mind you -- it's not easy to show restraint. And that's not the fault of being some crazy, violent person. Adrenaline messes with your sense of time, for one, so you don't really know how long you've been beating that person. It also has a way of bypassing the rational part of your brain, because rational thought is slow thought, and this is about survival (to your brain).

3. As a bystander, do not try to be a hero and break up a fight. You don't know who has a weapon, you don't know who has a bloodborne disease, you don't know anything about the situation. Hell, you could accidentally step in and help the aggressor -- now you're party to assault.

4. The second guy cheering things on? Yeah, we're pack animals. It's a natural tendency. I bet you've probably cheered on your favorite character in a fictional fight once or twice. We should note instead that the second man did not physically join. So while his demeanor did not seem restrained, his behavior was.

5. The guy filming? There's maybe a problem there. Now, he could very well have called the police. And that video could serve as evidence. Or maybe it was just someone looking for a viral video for some publicity. Who knows? So it's hard to say whether or not the guy filming is symptomatic of some cultural ill, or just one of those things that happens now because it can (we all carry a camera now).

--

At the end of the day, it's impossible for us, the viewers, to know who started the confronation... but unfortunately for the guy that took the beating, we can clearly see him following and initiating the physical confrontation. Hell, I did it once in middle school -- started a fight over something stupid with someone who was a better scrapper, ended up getting my brain-cage rattled. Learned it was a bad idea.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
generals3 said:
tangoprime said:
What does it matter? I saw all I needed in this snippet to make a judgement. Nothing prior to the physical escalation doesn't matter.

The New Yorker escalated a verbal confrontation into a physical one, and got his ass pounded. The man who was attacked physically responded, umm... "asymmetrically", and used overwhelming force to end the fight with as quickly as possible so as to avoid personal injury- that's how fights done correctly work. When the guy was clearly pacified, which the man on top would've been unable to tell without having the same view as the others who could see the downed man's face, someone told him he's done and he stopped punching. What if this would've happened, and he'd just knocked the guy down and attempted to disengage, and the New Yorker, who had ALREADY greatly escalated the confrontation once, had pulled a knife and stabbed the guy as he was getting off of him? That's why you keep hitting until you know they're not capable of hitting back.
The problem with hitting that much is that it can cause severe damage and is in 99.9% of the cases unnecessary.
I mean I have friends who have been involved in fights and never went that far and it never backfired. Usually when the aggressor is down and not struggling anymore it's over (and the black guy got hit quite more after he was a state of passivity). It's only in the cinema that the aggressor "abuses" the lack of use of extreme violence to strike back. And let's be honest, usually people who assault someone and are armed use it straight away (and most definitely if the aggressor is outnumbered), it's again only in the cinema where they first start to try without it and than escalate if needed.
I Had a teacher in high school tell us about a fight he got into when he was about 20. He laid the guy out in one shot and thought the fight was done when the guy didn't get up right away, soon s he turned his back he got nailed in the back of the head and the guy stomped in his head a few time. He ended up with a broken nose and a shattered jaw.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Comments: Blatantly racist. The comment section is full of douchebags; no ambiguity there.

Beating up the guy after the fight ended: Unnecessary and probably not cool, but he DID start the fight. I can't really feel bad for someone who asks to get hurt and then gets hurt. (Of course, I don't know WHY he started the fight, nor can I really make out what anybody is saying through the crappy audio. Could be that the other guy did or said something to provoke him, I don't know)

Beating somebody up because they assault you: No objection here.

As for nobody breaking it up, it could be for a number of reasons, the most obvious of which is fear; the bystanders just didn't feel confident that they could stand up to either of the fighters.

The other option is the ambiguity; the people watching don't know why these two or fighting, or which one of them is in the right.

The other option is that the bystanders simply thought "Hey, a guy started a fight and he's getting roughed up; his mistake, not mine"

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
generals3 said:
tangoprime said:
What does it matter? I saw all I needed in this snippet to make a judgement. Nothing prior to the physical escalation doesn't matter.

The New Yorker escalated a verbal confrontation into a physical one, and got his ass pounded. The man who was attacked physically responded, umm... "asymmetrically", and used overwhelming force to end the fight with as quickly as possible so as to avoid personal injury- that's how fights done correctly work. When the guy was clearly pacified, which the man on top would've been unable to tell without having the same view as the others who could see the downed man's face, someone told him he's done and he stopped punching. What if this would've happened, and he'd just knocked the guy down and attempted to disengage, and the New Yorker, who had ALREADY greatly escalated the confrontation once, had pulled a knife and stabbed the guy as he was getting off of him? That's why you keep hitting until you know they're not capable of hitting back.
The problem with hitting that much is that it can cause severe damage and is in 99.9% of the cases unnecessary.
I mean I have friends who have been involved in fights and never went that far and it never backfired. Usually when the aggressor is down and not struggling anymore it's over (and the black guy got hit quite more after he was a state of passivity). It's only in the cinema that the aggressor "abuses" the lack of use of extreme violence to strike back. And let's be honest, usually people who assault someone and are armed use it straight away (and most definitely if the aggressor is outnumbered), it's again only in the cinema where they first start to try without it and than escalate if needed.
But you must consider, if even 0.1% of the people who get knocked down DO escalate the conflict, there is always the chance of it happening, however slim.

Granted, punching him in the back of the head probably WAS overkill (There are less lethal ways to incapacitate someone), but the guy's adrenaline was probably pumping; he might have just picked the most obvious target instinctively.

And while I do not think the guy who won behaved well, I can't really fault him for wanting to eliminating even the smallest chance of further conflict.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Comments in youtube are what they are. You can find Chinese nationalist-socialists in there, peta supporters wishing death of mankind, etc. If I graded humanity by what I have read on youtube, I would travel the world while filling all fresh water supplies with poison.

As for nobody helping this guy, I am honestly surprised anyone would do anything, other that what was already done on the film, for a guy who throws first punch after loading up with a barrage of suckmydick. Oh well, maybe if the attacker was a white redneck we'd all be having a hearty laugh about racist cracker getting some real street justice. Maybe play Django Unchained soundtrack on the background.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know man, saying he went overboard and should have stopped seem like hindsight from a person whos never actually been in a real fight (Like me).

I mean the guy in the greenshirt is the one who got assaulted. Now, we don't know if he's ever been in a fight before, but if we assume the very likely scenario that he hasn't, he's clearly not in a clear state of mind. Regardless if he is winning the fight or not, he'll be mostlikely angry, pumped up on adrenaline and scared at the same time.

So did he go too far? Yeah, but expecting one to act reasonably in a situation like above is more ignorant than his actions given the circumstance. Get off your high horse internet.

As for people tagging onto the racial element? It has nothing to do with the video. People with agendas will find it anywhere and everywhere. It's just one of those things you have to ignore to be able to use the internet.