The Highlander Drops on Mechwarrior Online

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
The Typical American said:
I don't know about you guys, but I for one still harbor a lot of nostalgia for the original Mechwarrior series. Single player just seemed to do the series well as with most series.
Yup, me too. I think they would have better served the fanbase with an MW2-style single-player campaign and an online lobby for matchmaking. Back in the 90s the community ran several online leagues very successfully with just that and with the resources we have today, it could have been stellar (excuse the pun).

I dropped $120 on the founders' pack, based on the devs' promises, but I couldn't recommend spending anything on it as it currently is. Yes, Piranha is trying to gouge the playerbase for every nickel and dime, introducing silly cosmetic items whilst seemingly ignoring core gameplay. Yes, it is not very friendly for purely solo players but it is a team-based online game and there are plenty of opportunities to join teams if you wish. Whether this should be the case or not is something that divides opinion.

BUT.. and it is a big but... it's free. Completely and utterly free. If you don't like it, uninstall it and never look back. I agree that the current state of the game is somewhat disappointing compared to what was promised to those of us who stumped up the money to put it on the map, but it's still fun as long as you're not the type who has to win every game or gets worked up if you meet a queue-exploiting group of Goons in their unstoppable lance. For anyone who turns online games into a job, this is not for them. Their head will a-splode in frustration.

For a bit of fun, at no cost, give it a go.