The History And Abuse of The Fedora

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Daniel Laeben-Rosen said:
Personally, I have a slouchy wide-brimmed fedora that's just kinda part of my wardrobe. It's nice, but pretty far from a stylish . I bought it roughly 10 years ago, because I finally found a hat that fit me(I've got a stupidly large head), due to just kinda falling in love with it.
I wear it out of habit. It's just been a part of what I have for so long that it's kinda like my security-blanket. It's just "me" in a way.
It's sad though that the current trends and so on makes me less likely to wear it except where I already feel comfortable so I don't give the wrong impression.
I just like wearing it. It's a familiar feeling when I'm somewhere unfamiliar. And it keeps my hair out of my eyes when I can't be arsed to put it in a tail.
I'm more or less in the same boat. I've been wearing a fedora for about seven years now. I have the face for it, it complements my wardrobe, and is just how I roll, to the point where I don't like going out without it. I just like them. And then suddenly, it starts getting associated with exactly the sort of people I tend to dislike, which leaves me in the awkwardly, hipsterish position of going, "But I did it first!"

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
I like the look of fedoras but I've come to terms with the fact I'll probably never be wearing a suit or any other kind of formal attire outside of special occasions or certain jobs so it's just not worth fretting about, and I don't think anyone should be all that worried about it. Fashion is vanity, and vanity is a vice after all.

I do however wear caps (or "beanies", as they are sometimes called), which also have an unfortunate stigma around them. I try to avoid the ones that make me look like a hippie college student or coffee shop hipster and prefer the smaller ones that make me look more like a dock worker, because I do wear them for the practical reasons of covering my hair and/or keeping it in place whilst I work.

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
I'm more or less in the same boat. I've been wearing a fedora for about seven years now. I have the face for it, it complements my wardrobe, and is just how I roll, to the point where I don't like going out without it. I just like them. And then suddenly, it starts getting associated with exactly the sort of people I tend to dislike, which leaves me in the awkwardly, hipsterish position of going, "But I did it first!"
Exactly! It's like... "You bastards, stop ruining hats for me, I was here before you!"
Which also doubles as making me feel really really old.
"Damn whippersnappers takin' m' damn hat-habit an' were's t' damn nurse with m' pills and where am I?"

It's the permanent annoyance of trends. Fortunately, just as they are destined to come, they are destined to go. And then come again twenty years later as a "hot new thing".

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Hmm strange I do like my fedora but usually feel intimidated wearing it in public, yet have always been complimented and been told it suits me and is stylish. Think it's because the main form of headwear if people have any is a beanie. Though I went to Amsterdam recently and a lot of people had a lot of different hat styles all from a variety of ages and both genders it was quite refreshing to see.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
Daniel Laeben-Rosen said:
Personally, I have a slouchy wide-brimmed fedora that's just kinda part of my wardrobe. It's nice, but pretty far from a stylish . I bought it roughly 10 years ago, because I finally found a hat that fit me(I've got a stupidly large head), due to just kinda falling in love with it.
I wear it out of habit. It's just been a part of what I have for so long that it's kinda like my security-blanket. It's just "me" in a way.
It's sad though that the current trends and so on makes me less likely to wear it except where I already feel comfortable so I don't give the wrong impression.
I just like wearing it. It's a familiar feeling when I'm somewhere unfamiliar. And it keeps my hair out of my eyes when I can't be arsed to put it in a tail.
Every single person that ever wore a fedora thinks exactly the same thing, I feel. Otherwise they wouldn't wear them.

The tragic thing is that almost no one actually wears them well. What is worse is that most people that do have them will wear them all the time, regardless of the occasion. It's creepy.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
Whilst I generally agree with Mr Rath, their are a couple of things I feel aren't quite clear in his article, a couple of additions I feel should be in their, and the odd disagreement.

First off, I would say that the fedora is an informal hat, rather than a dress hat - however "informal" (the context of menswear) generally speaking means a business suit. Formal is a white tie [http://www.blacktieguide.com/White_Tie/Tailcoat/BB_golden_fleece_$1600_2009.jpg] (evening) or a morning coat [http://andrewsandpygott.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/sdc13469.jpg] (day). Semi formal is black tie [http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0033/9922/products/P2360424_grande.jpg?v=1393852906] in the evening and a black lounge suit/stroller/Streseman [http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/andrewspygott/SDC16997.jpg] (it has many names, and is nowadays pretty much defunct) during the day. You can also just about get away with a fedora with clothing from the most formal end of the casual scale - tweed jacket and flannels, no tie, with leather "dress" shoes is perhaps the most casual you can get away with and wear a fedora.

Okay, now the reason for that odd sidetrack about menswear formality terminology. A black hat is worn with formal and semi-formal wear; a fedora, as discussed, is informal. A black fedora is therefore a bit hard to wear with anything, as well as being atraditional (outside of a couple of very specific contexts - Vicars and hasidic Jews, primarily) being too casual for semi formal and too dressy for informal; homburgs (and, during the day, bowlers) being "correct" for semi-formalwear and top hats for formalwear. With that in mind, avoid black fedoras - they just don't work; it's a bit like a tweed dinner jacket.

I'd also add that the hat colour should really go with the suit - a brown hat with a grey suit doesn't look very good. Grey with grey, grey or blue with blue, brown or fawn with brown, brown or biscuit with khaki, etc.

However, proportions should also match. A jacket with skinny lapels looks strange with baggy trousers and a fat tie, similarly a jacket with wide lapels looks strange with a narrow brimmed trilby. Keep tie, shirt collar points, lapels, and trousers width proportional with the hat brim. If they are all narrow, you need a narrow brimmed trilby (like Frank here [http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02526/sinatra_2526239k.jpg]). If they are all wide, you want a wide brimmed fedora, like George Raft [http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z2Rs5nO5Pyw/Tig1O2cUncI/AAAAAAAAAEg/2JCcOc2YCsw/s1600/1930%252527s%252BGangster%252B-%252BRaft.jpg]. Nowadays, the fashion is for skinny everything, so best bet is a narrow brimmed trilby.

Oh, and if you also need the haircut for it. Short back and sides, shaved, crewcut, all work. If your hair requires a hairband, or extends beyond your collar, or is described as "business at the front, party at the back" avoid the hat.

And yes, I do usually wear a fedora (wide brimmed). I also usually wear a suit (I need to for work); my suits and ties are all from the 30s or 40s.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
SKBPinkie said:
When the fuck did the internet mutate into a 14-year old queen bee?

Seriously, these are the traits of characters you'd find being bitchy and generally terrible in most high school movies. Why the hell are people embracing that type of behavior?

It's a bit like saying "Oh, you play video games? You probably shit your pants and pee in bottles while playing WoW in your mom's basement".

P.S. I don't wear those hats; my head's not the right shape for it. But I won't treat other folk like shit for wearing it, even if it doesn't look good on them.

P.P.S. Not specifically referencing people on this topic. Most of you seem sane, but on places like imgur and reddit you absolutely cannot convince people to get over their hatred of a hat.
All though you would think that I like most people would have learned by now. I learned the hard way that 4chan's image boards(/b/ and /soc/ in particular) are also filled with people who have nothing nice to say about them or anyone who wears/likes them. I made the mistake of posting an old photo of myself from a new years eve party and got ripped to shreds...just because I was wearing a fedora that went well with the suit that I had bought for the party

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Gorrath said:
I also wish makeup was a widely accepted stylistic choice for men. And I don't just mean concealer or blush either. I would love to see people dress in fancy clothes and paint their faces or nails to match. It's body art, and unlike tattoos, a bad choice might only last five minutes.
I have only one response to this idea whenever it comes up:

Women are insane when it comes to makeup, I should know as my gal works at a big makeup store. Though at least she specializes in skin care, which is more tolerable. In terms of time management and cost using makeup usually starts small but can quickly escalate to ridiculous proportions. Not only can it get expensive but at the end of the day a lot of it probably isn't even any good for you either. Now it's one thing if a straight guy just doesn't want to get ridiculed for using it, but I worry that common acceptance could lead to common practice and spiral out of control from there.

The same sort of thing goes with fashion that the article gets into. It's one thing not to want a society that's boring and drab for men, but you want to stay reasonable and not approach the female insanity towards fashion. Ultimately it's a marketing/consumer gimmick. Things rotate in and out of fashion annually/seasonally by some mysterious ritual to ensure that the consumer (mostly the female side) goes out and buys something new every season so they stay 'in fashion'. It's subtle but big herd mentality. Like my girlfriend has a specific style of boots she likes to wear, but can only actually buy them in one specific season every 4-5 years when they go 'in fashion' again, at which point she'll buy several pairs to make sure they last her. I've never been able to wrap my head around that!

And if any ladies want to hit back at me here, I'm a big sports fan so feel free to ridicule my obsession and devotion towards my favourite hockey team ;).

C14N

May 28, 2008
I used to wear a trilby (often called "fedora" by internet idiots) as a teenager and looking back, it's kind of embarrassing. I thought it was the shit and some other non-nerd people thought it was pretty cool too but when I look at pictures of it now, it was clearly a big fashion faux-pais. I never went full "neckbeardfriendzoneatheistlibertarianeuphoria" but there were trace elements of it. I stopped shortly before it seemed to become a widely derided thing though.

Fedoras are kind of just one step above trenchcoats in that they can look cool in movies but rarely look good in real life. Young guys in particular tend to look weird while wearing them, if you're over 50 (or look like it) you're much more likely to get away with it. Generally I think a lot of people mock it because it's sort of a fad like the new "goth" or "scene". It's something a specific set of unbearable people have somehow all decided to do and it's something of a lazy way to show quirkiness or rebellion. Not saying that's always why people do it, just how I think it's perceived.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Very interesting and informative. I actually have a couple hats (including a trilby, but I don't wear them often. When I do, it's just because I feel like it. No ulterior motive here.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
RandV80 said:
Women are insane when it comes to makeup, I should know as my gal works at a big makeup store. Though at least she specializes in skin care, which is more tolerable. In terms of time management and cost using makeup usually starts small but can quickly escalate to ridiculous proportions. Not only can it get expensive but at the end of the day a lot of it probably isn't even any good for you either. Now it's one thing if a straight guy just doesn't want to get ridiculed for using it, but I worry that common acceptance could lead to common practice and spiral out of control from there.

The same sort of thing goes with fashion that the article gets into. It's one thing not to want a society that's boring and drab for men, but you want to stay reasonable and not approach the female insanity towards fashion. Ultimately it's a marketing/consumer gimmick. Things rotate in and out of fashion annually/seasonally by some mysterious ritual to ensure that the consumer (mostly the female side) goes out and buys something new every season so they stay 'in fashion'. It's subtle but big herd mentality. Like my girlfriend has a specific style of boots she likes to wear, but can only actually buy them in one specific season every 4-5 years when they go 'in fashion' again, at which point she'll buy several pairs to make sure they last her. I've never been able to wrap my head around that!
So much of this, I couldn't agree more. I think moving our culture in a direction that doesn't ridicule men who do try and dress up or use a little makeup from time to time is fine, but I also think we should keep in mind that a lot of the fashion world is still a ridiculous, overpriced marketing farce and shouldn't actually be encouraged.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
RandV80 said:
Gorrath said:
I also wish makeup was a widely accepted stylistic choice for men. And I don't just mean concealer or blush either. I would love to see people dress in fancy clothes and paint their faces or nails to match. It's body art, and unlike tattoos, a bad choice might only last five minutes.
I have only one response to this idea whenever it comes up:

And if any ladies want to hit back at me here, I'm a big sports fan so feel free to ridicule my obsession and devotion towards my favourite hockey team ;).
Fashion and makeup are merely a popular hobby. We blow immense amounts of money on all sorts of things that others might find pointless. I don't need 12 pairs of cuff links, but I don't need 100+ games on Steam either. As for makeup not being good for you, if I stopped doing everything that wasn't good for me I'd probably have a pretty dull life.

I'm not one who gives a damned what's in or out of fashion myself. I simply wear whatever I like. If someone wants to follow trends, so be it. It happens in plenty of other hobbies. But one does not have to follow any specific rules to enjoy what they like. Makeup can just be another part of self expression.

There's no need for anyone to ridicule you for enjoying sports. Hell, I follow several sports teams to the point where I get into seriously analyzing game film. We all have our passions, and so long as they don't consume us, we can enjoy them with immense pleasure. While I don't expect anyone to understand why I love sports and hats and video games and role playing, I would think that people would be open to not ridiculing it.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
My mother just recently gave me a sequined trilby with a bright flower pattern for my birthday/carnival. It is more than informal enough to not require a suit. I haven't found the balls to wear it in public yet, though :D

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
The real issue here, and a couple of you have touched on this quite eloquently, is: the total package. You can't just throw a fedora on with your silk screen goku shirt and expect to be classed-up/hardcore/hipster/ripcord/parkour (or whatever reason you boys wear your hats, I don't know); you got to take the whole ensemble into account.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
When is a hat more than a hat? Why, when some idiot decides that it's a symbol of something of course.

If you're wearing a hat for any other reason than because you like the way it looks on you, then have fun with that. It's bullshit, and if there's one thing I've learned paying even the slightest amount of attention to what is considered 'style' by the masses... it's that the masses don't know thing-fucking-one about what looks GOOD.

It's all about manipulating folks into behavior patterns deemed 'socially acceptable'... and nothing else. If the hat looks good on you, if it looks good with what you're wearing, then wear it. If you want to hide your bald head, or keep it warm, then WEAR IT. If you want to put on a snazzy suit and throw on a classic fedora and show up with your gold-plated watch on your wrist and no cell-phone ringing every five minutes distracting you from reality... then OWN THAT SHIT AND JUST WEAR IT.

If you want to be a tool of the internet... of the mass media... then go ahead and let them dictate how you dress. Hell, why not let them tell you what to eat and drink too? What shows to watch, and what music to like?

If you're too terrified that you might be 'un-cool' that you let everyone else decide what you like and don't like... here's a newsflash: you already are.

Get over it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Gorrath said:
Fashion and makeup are merely a popular hobby. We blow immense amounts of money on all sorts of things that others might find pointless. I don't need 12 pairs of cuff links, but I don't need 100+ games on Steam either. As for makeup not being good for you, if I stopped doing everything that wasn't good for me I'd probably have a pretty dull life.
What I meant with makeup is that you wear it to look good but in the long term it may have a negative effect and age you, but this is more for people who wear heavy makeup. Nothing's worse for your skin than tanning beds though. If you want to spend money on vanity, you'd be wiser to invest in decent face and eye cream... It's all free but I get this stuff forced on me most nights! I have to admit I do really like argan oil though, though so does the missus so she's really stingy when she gets it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm the proud owner of a fedora I got at Men's Wearhouse, which I wear with a suit and only with a suit, for occasions like job interviews. It's pretty warm to wear too, so I don't wear it in late spring to early fall. I believe the fedora is a hat only to be worn by men with iron will and unyielding character, like Sam Spade, Frank Sinatra, Indiana Jones, and The Fourth Doctor.
As for that line about class rings: never got one. Needlessly ostentatious, IMO. Did anyone else not get one after high school or college?

The

Jan 24, 2012
Luckily I still have a use for my Ushunka in the wintertime. All I need now is a track suit and I'm full Russian.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
The said:
Luckily I still have a use for my Ushunka in the wintertime. All I need now is a track suit and I'm full Russian.
Don't forget the Bangin' toonz and cheap alcohol!

But seriously, I (have been told) that i have a good head for hats, yet I refuse to wear them due to the impracticality of it all and the fact that they're often worn as a fashion statement rather than any practical purpose.
THen again, my dress is so utilitarian I wouldn't look out of place in 1984 or some dystopian low-fi setting.

There is this one kid at my college who sports the full 'euphoric' look, and I don't really know what to think when I see it.
A mix of pity for being so harshly judged (and for looking a bit like a tool) and admiration for wearing that stuff anyway.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
PhantomEcho said:
When is a hat more than a hat? Why, when some idiot decides that it's a symbol of something of course.

If you're wearing a hat for any other reason than because you like the way it looks on you, then have fun with that. It's bullshit, and if there's one thing I've learned paying even the slightest amount of attention to what is considered 'style' by the masses... it's that the masses don't know thing-fucking-one about what looks GOOD.

It's all about manipulating folks into behavior patterns deemed 'socially acceptable'... and nothing else. If the hat looks good on you, if it looks good with what you're wearing, then wear it. If you want to hide your bald head, or keep it warm, then WEAR IT. If you want to put on a snazzy suit and throw on a classic fedora and show up with your gold-plated watch on your wrist and no cell-phone ringing every five minutes distracting you from reality... then OWN THAT SHIT AND JUST WEAR IT.

If you want to be a tool of the internet... of the mass media... then go ahead and let them dictate how you dress. Hell, why not let them tell you what to eat and drink too? What shows to watch, and what music to like?

If you're too terrified that you might be 'un-cool' that you let everyone else decide what you like and don't like... here's a newsflash: you already are.

Get over it.
Devil's Advocate: While I agree with the spirit of this, it isn't a 100% guarantee of things. Some people might think they look good in a hat when by objective standards (it's the wrong size, wrong colour, half the hat is actually a live ocelot) they just don't. I'm not saying mock that person brutally, I'm also not saying don't be happy with your appearance but some of the same people who'll wear an ill-suited hat to them will complain that others don't find their style attractive. The "Euphoric" Fedora-clan (of internet fame) complain of difficulties with the fairer sex and while some poor pressure from society has skewed their idea of social interaction (Read: "We aren't all Marty McFly, a few of us are George, some will be Biff") that same skew has made them feel they can do whatever and still be the King. So while they may believe they look the shit, the people they want to also think that can/will disagree because they are sentient organisms. In that instance it's damn near cruel to say "Just wear what makes you happy", I'd say wear what makes you happy unless you have any sort of goal outside of wearing what makes you happy.

Like me and my Spiderman Costume. It doesn't look great on me (12 and up guys, 25 is up from 12), but I like the thing. I just don't expect total strangers to accept me wearing it in public.

Again, not arguing with the spirit of the statement, but maybe saying it isn't a catch-all.

OT: Why do we keep calling Trilbys Fedoras? And why are we not requiring people wear suits and hunt the Maltese Falcon while wearing them?