The Hobbit, you ever read it?

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
I've read the book. I actually liked it better than LotR (better pacing imo).

I'm excited for the movies. Martin Freeman was born to play Bilbo.

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
Honestly, I giggle like a schoolgirl Every time I hear the dwarves sing. ^_^ I can hardly wait to see how they handled Frodo's... chat with Smaug. Alas for Bombadil, :( but I have high hopes for the rest!

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Yes, it was actually one of the first "big books" that I read on my own.

And to the second question, all I truthfully remember was the beginning, and that it was nowhere near as violent as the Lord of The Rings.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I'm sorry, but I didn't bother with the rest of Tolkien's books after I couldn't make it through Fellowship. However, I enjoyed the movies, and I got a new appreciation for them after taking a literature class in a high school with a teacher who was a LOTR expert.

As for the trailer, I was sold right when I heard that song. Gave me chills of joy!

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
I had the Hobbit read to me (and my class) in grade 3. I loved it to bits. It is what got me into reading. I went straight to the libary and hired out LoTR and read it. Tough read for an 8 year old. I liked the Hobbit more, alot more. I am really looking forward to this movie. Peter Jackson did amazing things with LoTR movies(better than the books imo) so I see him doing great things with the Hobbit as well.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Im starting my 3rd time reading it today.
One of my favorite books ever, and my 2nd favorite Tolkien book (Children of Hurin is my #1)

I can't wait for The Hobbit! It's like my Skyrim for movies.

Drakenian

Jul 25, 2008
Bro, I read the ever loving crap out of The Hobbit. To be honest, that's the only book by Tolkien I can bare to read, and it's fantastic.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I read it, and it was the single most uninteresting thing I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

I like the fantasy universe he has created, but gods, I simply can not stand Tolkien's writing.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I enjoyed reading The Hobbit. Then I found out that the readily available version is not the original version. I still enjoy it, but now it makes me question all the hate for George Lucas. Tolkien changed the way his story worked so he could put out more media, where's the shitstorm for that?
Also, yeah, totally going to see the movie, and buy the inevitable director's cut.

DivineBeastLink

Nov 22, 2009
The Hobbit is one of the first fantasy novels I ever read as a kid and it got me into reading in general. I feel that it's Tolkien's best work, actually (can't stand Lord of the Rings's pacing).

I'm very excited for the upcoming movie, especially since Peter Jackson did such an amazing job with the trilogy.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ugghhh I tried...I really did

but quit when he start crapping on about what the dwarfs were doing with their coats/cloaks
Necromancer Jim said:
I read it, and it was the single most uninteresting thing I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

I like the fantasy universe he has created, but gods, I simply can not stand Tolkien's writing.
this exactally

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings long ago, LotR at 12, the Hobbit at.. 7, 8? Some time earlier - the Hobbit was easier to get through, the Lord of the Rings I had to slog through, but I'm stubborn like that. I'm going back and reading them now, and I'm halfway through Fellowship.

As for this trailer? It played on an unending loop in my head for something like a good 2 days. I'm so glad to see them treating the songs like that, because that drives me CRAZY when I'm reading the books - the party's captured by goblins in the Hobbit, and what happens? THEY SING. Yes, singing goblins, that's threatening! The story is going to be tricky to translate directly to screen, so in all honesty, I'm glad Peter Jackson's at the head, because Tom Bombadil being in Fellowship for the big screen would have been a tremendous mistake without undergoing heavy editing.

On the smaller details - I can't think of anyone better than Martin Freeman to play Bilbo, Ian McKellen coming back is awesome, and Howard Shore is still on top form.

Also - seeing James Nesbitt as a dwarf after seeing him in Jekyll? That is WEIRD.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
Read the Hobbit years ago, loved it... found out about Lord of the Rings but never got the chance to read it. Then the movies of Lord of the Rings came out. Loved it. Then I got a chance to read Lord of the Rings, I hated those books. They were the driest read and anyone who says Tom Bombadil or however you spell that turd's name should have been in the movies should get hit with bow rake. Not a fan.

While the trailer isn't very awe-inspiring the fact that a film of The Hobbit is coming out from the same guy who turned that pile of sawdust in literature form makes me pretty hopeful.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
They end up in Mirkwood where Legolas lives, so likely we will see him again. Gandalf was barely in The Hobbit, he ran off part way to meet up with Saruman, Elrond and I think Galadriel to chase The Necromancer (proto-Sauron) out of his fortress near Mirkwood.

ccggenius12 said:
I enjoyed reading The Hobbit. Then I found out that the readily available version is not the original version. I still enjoy it, but now it makes me question all the hate for George Lucas. Tolkien changed the way his story worked so he could put out more media, where's the shitstorm for that?
The edits were performed mostly for updating the language (terminology, grammer, etc), the major changes were made by Tolkien's heirs afterwards.

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I must say that it was an easier read than the lord of the rings trilogy.
The movie looks great and I'm glad they didn't pull a dumbledore on us and have Gandalf be played by a different actor!

Also; Dat Dwarven singing

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Tom Bombadil was ridicu-fucking-lous and would have turned the first film into a fucking mess, I think it was a very easy decision to cut it.

Yes I have read The Hobbit. Never really stuck a huge chord with me but I enjoyed it. I have complete faith that Peter Jackson will deliver. It will be interesting though because The Hobbit has a very different tone to Lord of the Rings - it was a children's adventure book while Rings was an epic. Looking forward to it.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
1) Yes I've read the Hobbit. Many a time.

2) I'm excited about seeing what's done here, and I'm sure it will have "great highs and great lows" as did LoTR for me as a lover of the literature watching it come to life on film. There are things I love about the movies, and things that make me want to shout in frustrated diatribes about why they are wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm sure this will be much the same situation with The Hobbit - especially since it's in the same man's hands.

I very much enjoyed the animated Hobbit when I was a young girl, and if this movie should completely fail me, at least I will have that still. Pity they only did the beginning and end of LoTR in the same fashion back then... no idea why the middle part was a complete departure in style and everything else.