The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2 - War, War Never Changes

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2 - War, War Never Changes

The latest and final chapter of the Hunger Games franchise is a disappointment. The series goes out with a whimper, not a bang.

Read Full Article

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
while i feel that part 1 was better for not having to rush to a pretty large several stage action scene that would eaither have to be chopped into bits or move way too fast to do the books justice it does mean that part 2 would have too stretch itself for time in order to feel like a full movie. personally i feel like the pace of the books doesn't fit a movie adaptation as it drew a lot of it's tension fro the moment to moment survival and politics. either a serial adaptation or the realization that not every book needs it's own movie would have served much better but the latter is a fools hope in hollywood.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wait in what way is the last part-2 of the Harry Potter franchise the best of the series. Wasn't that the movie that was just one big battle stretched painfully to a feature length movie? I mean it wasn't horrible with all the flashy action, but i think the third one is still way better.
As to Mockingjay-Part 2. Yeah, no surprice here, i read the books.

Moises Weintraub

Jul 16, 2013
Marter said:
Her greatest scene - and perhaps the biggest burst of emotion in the entire series - would have been so effective had she not been paired with the cat equivalent of Janice from accounting, which turns an otherwise heartbreaking scene into comedy.
And, as we all know, Janice in Accounting DGAF

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Amaror said:
Wait in what way is the last part-2 of the Harry Potter franchise the best of the series. Wasn't that the movie that was just one big battle stretched painfully to a feature length movie? I mean it wasn't horrible with all the flashy action, but i think the third one is still way better.
Yup. Prisoner of Azkaban is still the best HP movie.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Amaror said:
As to Mockingjay-Part 2. Yeah, no surprice here, i read the books.
Between that and his calling Catching Fire the best of the Hunger Games movies I realized that he and I must have vastly different tastes.

The best Harry Potter movies for me were definitely 3 and 4, and I actually found 7 (Part 1) more intriguing and engaging than the bang-flash-so-much-flashbacks-new-info-right-near-the-end 7 (Part 2).

And I found Mockingjay Part 1 to be better than Hunger Games and Catching Fire in every way.

Then again I'm also in the minority that thinks Mockingjay is not only the best book in the series, but is highly admirable for not handing an easy happy ending to audience and is a strong artistic statement about the harsh realities of war and revolution.

He avoids spoilers, but I've read the books, so I wonder what he means by "the way it ends." I'm still interested in seeing it, and won't be surprised if I like it, given the notable differences in sensibilities.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I never read the novels or seen the movies, because I'm put off by how it's own advertising call the series "THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVAR!", which I think undercuts whatever anti-capitalist message is in it. I just keep up with whatever reviews dump on it for my own schadenfreud at its expense. Besides, it was written to appeal to teenage girls (or those with a similar intellect), so that's why its political messages are so ham-fisted and bonk-you-on-the-head obvious. That said, I hope to hear Movie Bob dump on it. He's been on a tear lately on his YouTube channel.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
Goddammit teens, just go watch Harry Potter or Lord Of The Rings instead... Heck, watch Matrix instead.
If you dare to get old and start talking about the Hunger Games or freaking ScorchTrialsMaze...whateveritscalled with nostalgia im gonna puke.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Moises Weintraub said:
Marter said:
Her greatest scene - and perhaps the biggest burst of emotion in the entire series - would have been so effective had she not been paired with the cat equivalent of Janice from accounting, which turns an otherwise heartbreaking scene into comedy.
And, as we all know, Janice in Accounting DGAF
I was wondering if that was indeed a reference to Last Week Tonight.

She really DGAF.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the whole young adult fiction craze really has become a mess. After Harry Potter, every studio was scrambling to find any sort of YA sci-fi/fantasy novel and make it their big franchise. Too bad 90% of them turned out to be crap (either the source material itself not being very good or the adaptations faltering for one reason or another). Makes one wonder what the next fiction craze is going to be.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That's disappointing to hear. Mockingjay was the most uneven book, but I did enjoy quite a bit of it once they actually started doing stuff in the second half. I'm going to end up watching this film, but now with less intrigue and more cautiousness, because the first three films did at least encourage me to read the books and I want to see how the film version ends.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
After reading the books and quite enjoying them, i was wary of seeing the films. I gave the first one a try and it certainly was well directed. But the one thing that turned me off seeing any more of them was how obviously they had teenage girls as their target audience in mind, from the twilight-esque male casting for their eye candy, to the cutting out of the darker parts of the book. I'd imagine to keep the age rating to their intended audience. Since then i have no interest in watching the rest. The best thing they probably did was give Katniss a very beautiful face (and a decent enough actor, but that is only for the benefit of the viewer, not the reader). It is a small comfort to know i haven't missed much then.

kogane

Apr 11, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
After reading the books and quite enjoying them, i was wary of seeing the films. I gave the first one a try and it certainly was well directed. But the one thing that turned me off seeing any more of them was how obviously they had teenage girls as their target audience in mind, from the twilight-esque male casting for their eye candy, to the cutting out of the darker parts of the book. I'd imagine to keep the age rating to their intended audience. Since then i have no interest in watching the rest. The best thing they probably did was give Katniss a very beautiful face (and a decent enough actor, but that is only for the benefit of the viewer, not the reader). It is a small comfort to know i haven't missed much then.
The latter movies are actually very true to the book, and I think they did Mockingjay justice (with both parts). I basically disagree with everything Marter said, so maybe give the movies another chance?

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
I know this isn't what he likes, but I'm still anticipating the Blob's effort to round out his Hunger Games reviews.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Interesting article. Particularly in light of the positive reviews I've read elsewhere. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 71% Fresh rate for professional reviewers and 76% for fan based reviews.

Guess this wasn't Marter's kinda movie.