the instant reaction of hating music

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
Bruin said:
Aerodynamic said:
You know there is still good rap out there right? Just stop looking for rap on the Radio and MTV, hell, NEVER look for music on the Radio or MTV, regardless of what genre.
Okay, this is my problem with people who defend things like Rap.

They say: "Yeah, there's still good rap out there,".

The problem is that, out of 100 rappers, maybe 5 are actually decent and aren't just different versions of Little Wayne.

Just because they suck doesn't mean they're not part of the genre. They bog the genre down.
Same thing with most genres as well, every genre has their equal parts of shit, just the thing with rap is that its loaded with mostly shit, I can understand if you don't want to listen to the genre based on the majority, but I just don't see myself doing that.

Dark2003

Jun 17, 2010
I thinks it like nails on the chalkboard effect, you avoid whenever you can by never listening to it or quickly changing the station, so when you are forced to listen, i.e. a waiting room or music store, it just picks at you constantly

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
I hate Rap , Mic Gargling, and any song that has the subject of sex anywhere in it.

UltraParanoia

Oct 11, 2009
The Geek Lord said:
UltraParanoia said:
The Geek Lord said:
And thus, why I do not sell games I like.

I still have to beat P3P. But after P4 handed me my ass for the fifteenth time on a random fucking encounter, I'm not sure I want to see what the Nyx can do to me...
Oh, I didn't sell it, I just don't have it with me. What is P3P, the PSP version?
Yep. Easier to say that than to say Per(1)so(2)na(3) Three(4) Por(5)ta(6)ble(7), so I just use P3P.

Syllables lawl.
Ah, It took me forever to beat P3 the first time, as it is now my guy is like level 80 and still can't go down into that fucking door that shows up on the ground floor without getting his ass stomped.

zohmbee

Feb 21, 2008
I do not insta-hate rap. I'll listen for a moment, then if I don't like it I'll tune it out. But there's one 'rapper' I do insta-hate, and this is the reaction whenever he comes on.

'And now, new by Justin B--' -click-

Bruin

Aug 16, 2010
Aerodynamic said:
Same thing with most genres as well, every genre has their equal parts of shit, just the thing with rap is that its loaded with mostly shit, I can understand if you don't want to listen to the genre based on the majority, but I just don't see myself doing that.
I listen to rap.

UK rap.

Partially because a lot of it is still sort of stuck in the 90s and it's refreshing to have a song about space ships instead of guns and whores.

But do I like rap as a whole?

No. People turning music into a money making business instead of a form of expression are what's ruined rap. It's an immensely popular genre of music with thousands of people who can contribute to it--because you don't need to be good at singing, or even at mixing music. You just need to be able to speak, something we all can do.

People who come up with fake, stereotypical and unreal lives to go along with music that's 80% computer and 20% human. It's not personal like it once was, there's no relation in it. It's all some fantasy that these rappers have or say they have and then rap about. Fantasies nobody can actually obtain, with the gullible actually trying to reach said fantasies. That, and as the listening audience changes, the music changes with it. You can't get away with putting Will Smith in a music video that's about summer time barbecues anymore. People want to believe they're above that, that they're "dark" and "sinister", and that they have to rebel against authority and whatnot. The audience itself has forgotten what rap was originally about. That is why I don't like Rap anymore.

The Geek Lord

Apr 15, 2009
UltraParanoia said:
Ah, It took me forever to beat P3 the first time, as it is now my guy is like level 80 and still can't go down into that fucking door that shows up on the ground floor without getting his ass stomped.
Bonus dungeons. Ugh.

Can't be as bad as going into one of those extra-map-dungeon things in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, when my guy is level 60 and has the best equipment in the game, and I have two level 40 priests and a half melee/half mage class, and my team gets killed in under three minutes. In a real time combat system.

blank_64

Apr 16, 2010
Meh, My instant hate for rap comes from the over-playing of shitty mainstream music. By this point, whenever I hear any rap (no matter how obscure/old school it is...)I instantly connect it to cruddy/unoriginal radio tunes and need to turn it off...

Same goes for pop. (Though I have NEVER heard an original pop song...)

Alternative Rock, Punk, and 'Core' bands (for the most part) Instantly turn me off due to Whiny/Douchey singers.

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
Bruin said:
Aerodynamic said:
I listen to rap.

UK rap.

Partially because a lot of it is still sort of stuck in the 90s and it's refreshing to have a song about space ships instead of guns and whores.

But do I like rap as a whole?

No. People turning music into a money making business instead of a form of expression are what's ruined rap. It's an immensely popular genre of music with thousands of people who can contribute to it--because you don't need to be good at singing, or even at mixing music. You just need to be able to speak, something we all can do.

People who come up with fake, stereotypical and unreal lives to go along with music that's 80% computer and 20% human. It's not personal like it once was, there's no relation in it. It's all some fantasy that these rappers have or say they have and then rap about. Fantasies nobody can actually obtain, with the gullible actually trying to reach said fantasies. That, and as the listening audience changes, the music changes with it. You can't get away with putting Will Smith in a music video that's about summer time barbecues anymore. People want to believe they're above that, that they're "dark" and "sinister", and that they have to rebel against authority and whatnot. The audience itself has forgotten what rap was originally about. That is why I don't like Rap anymore.
Understandable, we cant enjoy everything about something, there is bound to be flaws. I can see where you are coming from.

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
I'm a student of Sturgeon's Law or Sturgeon's revelation. it states that, "90% of everything is crap."

I always keep an open mind when it comes to just about everything, music, television, movies, people.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
Firstly, the syntax of the original poster is grating to read. Work on that.

Secondly, I can only speak from personal experience and say that there are plenty of genres, in all mediums, that don't appeal to me. There is the occasional rap song that I like, for example Libera Me From Hell that someone posted eariler (but that may simply be because TTGL instantly makes everything awesome) but overall I find no interest in listening to rap or perusing its contributors, and that may be a similar situation for other people.

KoSTHB

Aug 7, 2010
zohmbee said:
I do not insta-hate rap. I'll listen for a moment, then if I don't like it I'll tune it out. But there's one 'rapper' I do insta-hate, and this is the reaction whenever he comes on.

you know he's not a rapper right? he sings not rap lol

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
KoSTHB said:
zohmbee said:

you know he's not a rapper right? he sings not rap lol
Yeah, the one ounce of respect I reserve for that kid is due to the fact that he doesn't try to rap.

I don't have a particular genre that I absolutely refuse to listen to, just artists. There are always exceptions to every genre - for example, I don't generally like rap, but Eminem is one of my favourite artists.

I don't believe in hating things, much less hating things that I don't know anything about. That is why I dedicated a very painful 30 minutes of my life listening to Justin Bieber just so I could hate him properly.

Der Kommissar

Dec 29, 2009
I find it is the lack of exposure to any kinds of music which leads into the listeners existence being disturbed and causing rather amusing results.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Pegghead said:
valid arguments against it.
Wait... How do you make a valid point... against a genre of music?

I mean, you can have valid reasons for personally disliking it, because not every type of music is going to suit everyone's tastes, but what valid flaw are you going to point out with something that's subjective? Any point you try to make is going to end up being... a preference.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Bruin said:
Just because they suck doesn't mean they're not part of the genre. They bog the genre down.
Why act like the genre is some sort of collective whole instead of just a style of music? We're talking about individual artists here playing a similar style of music. Maybe if hip hop was one giant cake, then sure, it might taste bad, because you would have some great ingredients in there such as Aesop Rock, Atmosphere and Nujabes, but then you would have complete shit like Lil Wayne. And when you mix in shit with the sugar, it tastes like... shitty sugar. And what's the point to eating that?

But, fortunately, music doesn't work like that. I can easily enjoy my good music without it being ruined by shitty music.

Corum1134 said:
I hate Rap , Mic Gargling, and any song that has the subject of sex anywhere in it.
I laughed for at least 5 minutes straight when I read this.

Bruin

Aug 16, 2010
TheLaofKazi said:
Bruin said:
Why act like the genre is some sort of collective whole instead of just a style of music? We're talking about individual artists here playing a similar style of music. Maybe if hip hop was one giant cake, then sure, it might taste bad, because you would have some great ingredients in there such as Aesop Rock, Atmosphere and Nujabes, but then you would have complete shit like Lil Wayne. And when you mix in shit with the sugar, it tastes like... shitty sugar. And what's the point to eating that?

But, fortunately, music doesn't work like that. I can easily enjoy my good music without it being ruined by shitty music.
Because shitty rap is still rap.

And the thread isn't about a specific style of music, it's about hating genres of music. If you broke music into style, every musical group would be its own genre.

That's not something I would necessarily disagree with, but that's not what we're discussing.

We're discussing music that falls under the genre of rap and why people have instant hatred of it. I personally don't hate all rap, but I feel as if the good rap out there has been pretty much drowned in the sea of shitty rap.

So, overall, you will find gems in rap, but for the most part, it's nothing to admire.

alerriixx

Apr 4, 2010
Jasper Jeffs said:
A lot of people on this site haven't really looked into Rap or Hip Hop much further than "artists" like Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy etc, so they have this misconception that it doesn't go beyond that, and as such, they hate the genre as a whole. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but there are quite a lot of people like this on The Escapist, and it's just ignorant to throw down retarded statements like "Hip Hop is dead", especially when the person saying it probably heard it elsewhere and has no evidence to support the claim, or much purpose to even say it other than to make himself look like he has a "valid" opinion on the matter.

In fact, for the benefit of everyone here who believes that rap is shit without even bothering to look beyond the surface I will re-post a short list that I post in threads like this:

<youtube=5Rkf5H7J-S0>

<youtube=-SBzdl_nlFs>

<youtube=g__iDW904_k>

<youtube=s7RR86g_uCM>

<youtube=dytKmI-gLdM&hl>

<youtube=djG9g5hCOfU>

<youtube=H9mhfJfVWdY>

<youtube=MvVfDlopIs0>

<youtube=PkvWOAJeZmM>

<youtube=vyFxwLDy35E>

<youtube=aVTDyPYbJeI>

<youtube=MjlbCM-2t4c>

<youtube=jvy3x9_SauM>

<youtube=M72zVuBNpEA>

<youtube=7F4KiuvLo6Y>

<youtube=1JHbUuWzVNE>

<youtube=9VL0mB8ILeo>

<youtube=PNEkpc3WAaE>

<youtube=YywqSQ6-2Os>

<youtube=-nkSNiPVm9c>
Wow, the lyrics to angles were rather close the bone for me, but beautifully written nevertheless :/

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Bruin said:
TheLaofKazi said:
Bruin said:

Because shitty rap is still rap.

And the thread isn't about a specific style of music, it's about hating genres of music. If you broke music into style, every musical group would be its own genre.

That's not something I would necessarily disagree with, but that's not what we're discussing.

We're discussing music that falls under the genre of rap and why people have instant hatred of it. I personally don't hate all rap, but I feel as if the good rap out there has been pretty much drowned in the sea of shitty rap.

So, overall, you will find gems in rap, but for the most part, it's nothing to admire.
I think the whole point is people will take the stuff on the radio and judge an entire genre by that. Not saying that the stuff on the radio isn't part of the genre, just that it's a small part.

If someone came to me and said 'hey, I hate punk rock, but the only punk rock I've been exposed to has been late 90's/early 2000's radio punk', then I'd (hopefully understandably) give them a bit more to chew on. Maybe stuff they wouldn't necessarily find on the radio.

The stuff on the radio and MTV is like the tip of an iceberg.