The Italian Job Cliffhanger Solved

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
I'm a little lost on how the impact caused by knocking a (presumably well-anchored) window out of one of the doors doesn't send the bus off the cliff.
I had this thought as well. I'm also not entirely sure how they remove the gas from the bus. The gas access panel I would assume would be outside the bus, assuming they dont drag the gas hose inside the bus to fill up. This would mean they would need to dangle a guy out the side of the bus where the gas acess is. Now if the gas access is at the back of the bus it would take at least two guys to do it assuming one of them is strong enough to hold the other guy up. Which judging from charlie crawling slightly along the floor and nearly sending them all to their deaths wouldn't work. Then they have the problem of what do they use to siphon the fuel out of the buses tank, do one of them happen to have a handy hose they hang onto incase they are skint and need to steal some gas?

Feb 13, 2008
Ralackk said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
I'm a little lost on how the impact caused by knocking a (presumably well-anchored) window out of one of the doors doesn't send the bus off the cliff.
I had this thought as well. I'm also not entirely sure how they remove the gas from the bus. The gas access panel I would assume would be outside the bus,
That's why he made the trip. The access panel for the spare fuel is actually just across from Charlie, and Godwin made the calculations on a replica bus. Tripping the access panel would let it flow out naturally. And there's no seats to get in the way.

It's still a lot safer than setting the wheels on fire.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
The guys got some dedication to problem solving if he made a trip just to work this out. My rant was mostly assumption based on what I could see in the video and common sense. I'd have to make a trip myself to counter his arguement then and although I love a good arguement, I'm also fairly lazy so I will just leave it at this. If he did all that he is probably more right then I'm going to be.

Setting the wheels on fire would be slightly stupid, if they had access to some fuel without it getting everywhere and a large bit of metal they could potentially open the side door and dig a fuel pit. Heat the metal up using clothing as a handle not to burn their hands and melt the tires using the heated metal.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I just read the winning entry [http://prospect.rsc.org/blogs/rsc/italianjobentries/winner.pdf] (PDF) and it makes sense. One thing to note, though, is that only the middle windows on each side are smashed out; the two on each side toward the front are smashed in while leaning out the side, so that you don't lose the weight from their glass.

Also, apparently Charlie was lying right on top of the necessary access panel in the movie; all he'd have to do is pry it up and he can reach down to get at the fuel tank.

Well done, Mr. Godwin! Mr. Bridger will be pleased. Enjoy your holiday among the angry, stirred up Caribineri and enraged Mafia!

-- Steve

Feb 13, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
I just read the winning entry [http://prospect.rsc.org/blogs/rsc/italianjobentries/winner.pdf] (PDF) and it makes sense. One thing to note, though, is that only the middle windows on each side are smashed out; the two on each side toward the front are smashed in while leaning out the side, so that you don't lose the weight from their glass.
I read that, but that's the part that foxes me. If you watch the film, you'll see there are welded grates over each of the windows to protect from bullet fire, A-Team style.
Now poking one out is not too hard, but in?