The Job You Hated the Most

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Call Me Jose said:
Fappy said:
I worked for Panera Bread Co. one summer during college. Fuck that place. The managers were clueless.
I used to work there, our franchise owner was a racist and wouldn't let managers promote anyone that wasn't Caucasian above associate trainer. He had plenty of complaints filed on him to where he had to start promoting other people.

Although the job that I most dis-liked was working at a major bank. Everyday we had numbers we had to reach for sales goals even as a teller, and were reminded constantly that we where expendable for not reaching them. I'd reach these numbers constantly in the beginning but when I saw how unethical the bank was to customers I laid off the sales. They knew that I was studying Graphic Design and it was only a job to get through college but still constantly drilled me to harass customers on getting identify theft protection, an extra checking/savings account, getting someone to open an IRA that had pennies in their checking account or some other near useless product that would generate fees until I left. I would tell customers how to avoid fees and was dubbed "customer advocate" by other tellers (which is not against the company policy, and what most tellers should do, but are too lazy to explain). Needless to say I loved the people there and a lot of the customers, and from time to time I call my old managers and co-workers to see how they are.
Strangely I ate at a Panera Bread for dinner tonight.

I feel for the poor staff DX

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
I worked tech support for Microsoft, mostly dealing with Xbox 360 stuff a couple years back. I have to say, I have never wanted to kill myself more than working a night job (Microsoft outsources tech support to India and the Philippines, so if you get someone who doesn't have an Indian accent, but still doesn't really talk like an American or Canadian, it's probably a Filipino) for 6 months.

I teach now, and I really like this job, so it all worked out in the end.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Call Me Jose said:
Fappy said:
Strangely I ate at a Panera Bread for dinner tonight.

I feel for the poor staff DX
Tomato soup all the way! Oh and that Frontega! hmmm
I got the steak and cheddar panini. 'Twas okay :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Call Me Jose said:
Fappy said:
I got the steak and cheddar panini. 'Twas okay :p
Oh never heard of that one, I've been gone for far too long, I guess I gotta try that one out, sounds good.
I think I worked there summer of 2009 maybe?

I don't think they had it back then. I'd recommend it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Probably working in Internet tech support, buy proxy, for Comcast Cable. Dealing with idiots for 8 hours a day is not fun at all. And then there were the unreasonable demands placed on me by bosses.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I've only had 3 jobs and loved them all. Army, Gym instructor and personal trainer.

However my wife has had some shitty jobs over the years.

She said her worst job was working as a mushroom picker.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Its a toss up between night shift work at ASDA and working the meat and fish counter at Sainsbury's

The ASDA work because it threw out my schedule completely, leaving me tired and grumpy all the time, not helped by the fact that my section manager was a colossal arse with a huge ego as well. Gave me grief from my very first shift. That job lasted 6 months till my contract came up for renewal and they didn't renew it, as much as I needed the money I was happy to be out of there.

The Sainsbury's work because that kind of customer service put me in the firing line of some of the absolute worst of the British public, I have a high respect for anyone in a customer service job after doing that. The way these people behave is just awful and in some cases unforgivable the way they treat you. I'm a human being damn it, not some service robot you can treat like crap. Also left every shift (which were stupidly long shifts, 10 hours plus most days) with sore, chapped hands from a combination of the ice and hand sanitiser, reeking of fish that took forever to wash off if at all some days! Thankfully it was just Christmas temp work for a month, never again!!!

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
"Energy sales advisor"

I didn't even get the job proper as I didn't even sit through a day of the training course, had I lasted a week I would have banked an extra £500.
The job was insufferable.

First of all it's just telesales and it's nothing fancy, you're given a sheet with all the energy prices and you're told to call up people on a computer list and read to them a pich and give them the most expensive package.
You're told to do that because it earns the company the most money and you get the most commission from it.

I don't know about you guys but I felt totally shitty trying to sell people energy plans with another company, lying to them about what is cheaper because I'd get more money.
I had three energy bundles sat infront of me that I could have sold and everyone of them was cheaper than the one I was told to do so.
Not only that but their entire "catalogue of unregistered" customers was as far as I was aware, a list of numbers we had to call and try and con people into a new energy agreement.
Not a single customer I called didn't have an energy agreement with their own service provider, I hated having to say

"According to our records, you don't have an energy service provider and I'm calling to sort that out for you".
Especially when they tell me they've been there for three years and that they're already on a plan.

It was the most unsatisfactory job and not only that but I was sat next to a guy who made a sale on every call. Every, damn, call.
I got to lunch time and went home, fuck that place.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
As a summer student, I was hired as temp labour for carnies. Roll that around in your brain for a bit. Minimum wage, heavy labour and lifting and a toothless 300lb toad cursing at me for not knowing how to assemble a Ferris wheel. Yeah, I was sick the day it was covered in school...

Anyways, after that was done, I was tasked with assembling the Merry-go-round. This one had a centre motor spindle, and wooden beams were stuck in slots, radiating outwards, and the horses hung down from the beams.

I was balancing on the top step of a rickety ladder, on uneven mushy ground, guiding a heavy wooden beams into place on the center spindle. Wooden beams, with spinters, and light bulbs on the underside. Some of which were broken.

My arms were already shaking with fatigue, and I'm overheading these beams into place, trying not to jam a light bulb, broken or not, into my palm for some manual-labour stigmata. Trying not to loose my balance on the wobbly ladder, and have a heavy wooden beam with broken glass drop on me.

Good times.

Walked off that site after putting 3 or 4 into place, afraid I was going to kill myself.

However, they did pay me for my time spent, so that's good.

The Mighty Stove

Apr 16, 2012
Fappy said:
I worked for Panera Bread Co. one summer during college. Fuck that place. The managers were clueless.
You.... YOU FEEL MY PAIN =D

But yea, I worked there for about 2 months and hated it. I don't mind putting my hand in countless bowls of broccli cheddar or bean soup, that still had soup in it. But when the manager is a dick about it, fuck you.

Oct 2, 2012
I worked construction... for family. It was the end of my junior year in high school and into the start of my senior year. It was the summer and it was unbearably hot and humid all of the time. I worked 8 - 9 hour days on school days and 12+ on weekends and the summer. Maybe a day off here or there when I faked being extremely ill (sometimes I got off). I was helping to gut a home, and tear half of it down, then rebuild the half and apply new stuff to the old interior. The people that lived there before were illegal immigrants that lived in absolute filth and squalor. And the land lord didn't care and never bothered to do any maintenance (scum bag, cheap scumbag). The place had walls and ceilings haphazardly built in random areas. They put in new wiring so poorly that it was a miracle the place didn't burn down (I was working with an uncle who was a firefighter and he was pissed at the electrical work). Asbestos, old and new fiberglass, dust, dead and decaying roaches and rats (along with their droppings) and stagnant water that had been sitting for many years. The foundation was falling apart and the house was actually SPLIT OPEN at many areas. It wasn't leveled at all and the wood was rotted so badly that any step could break through to grisly results. The back was even more dangerous, full of glass shards, deadly spiders, a chicken coop, rusty and filthy nails, you name it.

Four months of my life reduced to endless stress and lack of sleep and great physical harm. The shit I breathed in (no masks were provided). And somehow, someway, working there I contracted hepatitis C. I didn't have it before I started working there and suddenly I was turning up positive.

All that for absolutely no pay or reward other than the "satisfaction of helping the family out".

I may not have been compensated but it was a damn job and a hard one. Worst job I've ever had.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
mcdonalds.

mods: do i even need to elaborate on this? it's basically /thread material. -.- it's the stereotypical bottom of the barrel BS job for those who can't get real jobs for a REASON.

captcha: "It's Super Delicious". yes, captcha. it is. but that's beside the point. and stop evolving self awareness. you've really been starting to scare people. >.>

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
The job I have no probably takes the cake on this one.

I work as an assistant manager at a movie theater in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My boss is complete ****. She belittles everyone on the staff to the point of people coming to me telling me they're wanting to quit on almost a daily basis. She's incredibly rude and even when she's "just making a suggestion" she makes it sound like you're the most retarded person on the planet.

Most of our customer base is made up of tourists and seniors. The tourists don't know any better so they often check the wrong listings online and get pissed at me when they've clearly looked at another theater's listings but it's somehow my fault that I don't have the same shows at the same time. The seniors will look in the newspaper and see what show they want to see, but also will look at a different theater and get the wrong times.

Either that, or they'll completely overlook the part that says "Call to verify times, as times may change daily" and sometimes for various reasons they do have to change. I can't tell you how many times this happens in any given week.

And then of course you get the people who ask for discount tickets that clearly don't qualify for them, or complain about how much the concessions cost, or talk during movies, or use cell phones during the show, or after an hour and a half of a 2 hour movie they want their money back because they didn't like it, or go to the wrong theater and sit there for half an hour before they realize it's the wrong one and want their money back, or the projector has anywhere from 1 to 10 things go wrong that you have to fix in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Or the fact that most of my coworkers are incompetent high schoolers.

Or the fact I work an average of 60 hours a week with no benefits until next May (a year after I started being an AM) or overtime because we're considered "the entertainment industry" and in SC our company is not required to pay ANYONE overtime. (on average, if I was getting overtime I'd be getting another $420 or so a paycheck).

I usually work from 11 am to 1 am most days. Some days I get half shifts, but it's almost always night shifts leaving me no time for friends, or dating, or my band, or anything else.

So yeah. If anyone wants to hire me I'll do just about anything to get away from this job. I'm only 24, and granted my hair was already falling out, this job has not only accelerated that process, but my beard is turning grey too.

Captcha: sound out. That's one of the problems that I have to fix every day. At least once a day the sound will go out in one of the theaters.

The captchas really are becoming scarily self-aware

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I have 3 jobs that I have hated and one that just has it's moments.

Wage Slave - McDonald's: Customers treated pretty much everyone who worked there, apart from the managers like they were retarded. I was nearly physically assaulted several times, I was spit at (slammed the window in time), and after I had minor mouth surgery (wisdom teeth), they only gave me a single day off, and they put me in the Drive-thru as an order taker. Since I couldn't talk I couldn't object... Oh and because they wouldn't let me take my medication(something that would've only taken 5 minutes, if that) my mouth ended up getting infected. Luckily the medicine ended up fighting the infection anyways, so I didn't have to get ANOTHER medication for that. Definitely THE worst job I have had, but I recommend everyone work in food service for at least a year, just to put your attitude towards those workers into perspective.

Everything-Do-er - Local Restaurant: Customers were nice, the boss was too nice (She couldn't disciple to save her life), but the employees were LAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY as hell. But that was mostly the boss' fault for being not wanting to correct the employees and most of the employees being high schoolers. After about 3 weeks, I was taking 70% of the orders, making said orders and I was training someone. If not for it being a lower pay, and getting offered a MUCH higher paying job, I might have stayed longer, I wasn't even there a month.

Tech Support/Graphic Design - Family Business: Quoting the guy above me: "All that for absolutely no pay or reward other than the 'satisfaction of helping the family out'." But he does buy me lunch, and I don't have to pay rent like my brother does.

If I hadn't discovered that I HATE HATE HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE working for people, this would have been a great start because of my step-dad's networking ability. But when someone hands you a 2in.x2in. picture, they want it blown up to 11x17 with no distortion. Or someone brings in a finished/flattened intricate logo, and wants the detailed part pulled off, and needs it done in 5 minutes... Yeah...

And my FAVORITE part is twice every year we have sports programs for the local school. 50 pages, they need them by the Friday of their first game(They usually start getting us the information about 2-3 months in advance). They don't give us all of the pictures/captions/names until that Thursday. Or the one time, they came in after we had printed the 1000 programs (That Friday) and they had a handful of changes, and STILL wanted it ready in about 3 hours. It takes longer than that to print them.

Oh and did I mention My mom, step-dad and I are the only employees?

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
Toss up between working at a call centre trying to get people to market research surveys and bussing tables at a Chinese restaurant.

I could bust my ass for 5+ hours straight with no break (in blatant violation of ontario labour laws) and whilst the servers could walk out with 200+ dollars on busy days my tip out would be like 5 dollars for the whole day. Oh and one of the managers constantly made me contemplate the pros and cons of beating him senseless.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Petco, I did overnight stock work for them for a couple months as a 2nd job to earn some extra cash.

The actual work I had to do, I kind of liked. Just honest blue collared stocking shelves, lifting heavy things. I busted my ass, kept my mouth shut, and because of that the managers I worked with really liked me. It also didn't help my fellow employees doing the over night shift were either:

A. Really strung out
B. Mentally Retarded
C. A Drug Addict

So what was so bad about it? I hated the "corporateness" of it and the way the managers would treat their employees... Not me, again they loved me, but more than once they flipped out at the strung out girl to the point of tears. She was also the legal guardian of her troubled little sister so she's trying to hold this job and make sure that kid doesn't go to jail and she would need time off and they'd literally stand and tell her "The companies needs comes before your needs."

Also the length of the work... The job was suppose to be Midnight to 7am. Now I've worked in a retail union most my life so I'm use to the time you shift ends means thats the time you clock out, and they would makes us work almost all the way till the store would open at 9am. And this was my 2nd job, mind you! I would still have to go home, sleep for like 3 hours and then go work at a grocery store.

I got the feeling they were waiting for a guy like me to come along so they could actually get rid of the strung out girl. I don't like being used like, and I certainly didn't like the feeling that their attitude towards me was very "Well what have you done for me lately?"

I put my two weeks notice in, and boy did that affirm I was right about them. I show up for work the next night and they had changed the hours on me AND had already hired two new guys as replacements and were honestly shocked I had showed up. Fucking pricks.

I still work in that grocery store. It's terribly run, constantly on the verge of bankruptcy and our union is shit... But after experiencing that, that I can go to work and rest easy in the fact so long as the company exist I have a job.