The Joker Returns in Arkham Asylum 2

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
i really hope that they get Kevin and Mark back to do the voices...cause for me they're the definitive Batman and Joker.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Daystar Clarion said:
More Mark Hamil goodness...
I still can't believe that of all people, Luke-freaking-Skywalker does one of the best Joker voices. I found it out years ago and it still blows me away.
Same here, just blows my mind when I think about it.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Put Harley back in her original threads dammit!
What were her original threads again? The ones from the cartoon series?

deadaim6

Jul 3, 2009
Please explain to me how both the Mark Hamil Joker and the Heath Ledger Joker be so radically different, but both be so successful? (I know i'm going to have death and destruction rained upon me by a bunch of fan boys) I thought that Heath Ledger didn't do a very good job. But, it wasn't necessarily his fault. Alot of that had to do with the script and also the look. When you look at Arkham Asylum you see the Joker. It didn't have the same feel in The Dark Knight.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
deadaim6 said:
Please explain to me how both the Mark Hamil Joker and the Heath Ledger Joker be so radically different, but both be so successful? (I know i'm going to have death and destruction rained upon me by a bunch of fan boys) I thought that Heath Ledger didn't do a very good job. But, it wasn't necessarily his fault. Alot of that had to do with the script and also the look. When you look at Arkham Asylum you see the Joker. It didn't have the same feel in The Dark Knight.
It's because everyone has thier own idea of what the Joker is. It's part of the awsomeness of the character, that he's so different in all his mediums and yet they all fit the Joker. Heath Ledger did an awsome job as the Joker, in a sort of "what might a person like this be like in real life" where Arkham Asylum Joker was more of an extension of the animated series with a more serious vibe added. It's the same reason people love Jack Nicholson's joker as well as Ledger's Joker. They both did an awsome job, they were just different depictions of the same clown.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Vohn_exel said:
deadaim6 said:
It's because everyone has thier own idea of what the Joker is. It's part of the awsomeness of the character, that he's so different in all his mediums and yet they all fit the Joker. Heath Ledger did an awsome job as the Joker, in a sort of "what might a person like this be like in real life" where Arkham Asylum Joker was more of an extension of the animated series with a more serious vibe added. It's the same reason people love Jack Nicholson's joker as well as Ledger's Joker. They both did an awsome job, they were just different depictions of the same clown.
People loved Jack's Joker? Personally I found him boring

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
dalek sec said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Put Harley back in her original threads dammit!
What were her original threads again? The ones from the cartoon series?
Yes. She didn't exist prior to her introduction in the series. I like the new one better. The old one was stupid, and wouldn't look very good in fully-rendered 3d.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Vohn_exel said:
deadaim6 said:
People crapped their pants over Jack's Joker. The only people who don't like Jack's Joker are unpleasable fanboys and people who weren't born yet when the movie was released.

(Looks at profile)

Assertion confirmed.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Vohn_exel said:
deadaim6 said:
And for me, I will always love Mark Hamill's Joker the most because I grew up watching the DCAU, so he was the first and definitive Joker that I knew. And the same goes for Kevin Conroy, I'm glad the producers were smart enought to get them for the games.

Also, am I the only one who would love to see the Riddler? I loved his characterization in the first game, even if it was only through audio files and puzzles, I loved the dark humor how he slowly got angrier and angrier the more riddles you solved. I think there's a lot of potential for him to actually be a scary/cool villain.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
PhiMed said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Vohn_exel said:
deadaim6 said:
People crapped their pants over Jack's Joker. The only people who don't like Jack's Joker are unpleasable fanboys and people who weren't born yet when the movie was released.

(Looks at profile)

Assertion confirmed.
I was alive when Jack's Joker was around and the only reason he made anyone crap their pants was because their only other likely exposure to the Joker was the Batman TV show with Adam West. Every Joker I've seen since has been better than Jack's Joker (with the exception the Straight Jacket wearing kick boxer Joker from The Batman).

As for the Arkham Games, the best part was their use of the DCAU voice actors, when I imagine The Joker's voice I hear Mark Hamil, it's just that simple.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
PhiMed said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Vohn_exel said:
deadaim6 said:

(Looks at profile)

Assertion confirmed.
But what did they crap their pants over exactly? and what does being born after the movie have to do with anything? (Im assuming you mean watching the movie while young so things are boring) but even when I watch it now, it's boring, I mean I do think Jack is a very good actor and does his role well, but....it's just not funny (then again I did grow up on Cesar Romero and Mark Hamill jokers)

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Yes. He did a good job, although he's not my favorite. There were scenes where the Joker really shined through but for me, watching Jack Nicholson play something is watching him play Jack Nicholson. He was still a good Joker, but he wasn't as high up there as Mark Hamill Or Heath Ledger.

Now Legder's Joker was great at being scary and definately his dark humor was great. He's not my favorite because I don't really have one, but he's definately up there. I only wish they'd taken time for him to have more humor in his character.

VivaciousDeimos said:
And for me, I will always love Mark Hamill's Joker the most because I grew up watching the DCAU, so he was the first and definitive Joker that I knew. And the same goes for Kevin Conroy, I'm glad the producers were smart enought to get them for the games.

Also, am I the only one who would love to see the Riddler? I loved his characterization in the first game, even if it was only through audio files and puzzles, I loved the dark humor how he slowly got angrier and angrier the more riddles you solved. I think there's a lot of potential for him to actually be a scary/cool villain.
Yeah Mark Hamill's Joker was the one I grew up with too, so he's definately one of my favorites. I love watching the old series and I think he's got the perfect blend of crazy and funny, although in the shows he usually leans more towards the comedy side. Now in the DCAU movies (and these games) I think he's almost perfect. To me, the voice actors in the DCAU for the Batman series were the best voice actors they could find for thier characters, and since the AU is gone now, I hope they keep them for this series at least.

And yeah, I'd love to see the Riddler! He was really interesting as just a voice in the last one, I'd like to have to actually aprehend him in some way...although given how the last game's boss fights usually went, I'm not sure how he'd play out.

Tethalaki

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Nov 5, 2009
Shru1kan said:
Open - ended superhero games don't work well. Linear ones make you feel like you're making a difference. Look at Spiderman 2, how many criminals are loose in that city?

Linear gameplay is practically essential. Evil does not run on the protagonists clock, and the feeling of a fractured storyline is compounded in a situation where the action is supposed to be fast paced.
Personally, something like the way Crysis was done, ie; Linear storyline though multiple ways to approach most situations, might be the way to go for this.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
PhiMed said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Vohn_exel said:
deadaim6 said:

(Looks at profile)

Assertion confirmed.
What about Cesar Romero's Joker from the 60's series? He's my 2nd favourite after Mark.