The JoyCon Holder Included With Nintendo Switch Doesn't Charge

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Kajin said:
An inconvenience, but not a huge one. If the 20 hours of battery life is true, even if that gets halved during the life of the console all it really amounts to is making a habit of putting them back on the portable screen when you're done playing.

Which... Why wouldn't you?
This is my estimation too. The cons and the tablet are a cohesive whole. There's very little reason for them to be away from each other for any large amount of time. It's just... like it's common sense, isn't it? Am I one of the 5 people in the world that automatically assumed this?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Rastrelly said:
I am starting to think nintendo fans suffer from some odd form of Stockholm Syndrome.
They're afraid if they say bad things Nintendo won't let them have another mario, zelda, or pokemon game.

Nov 19, 2016
jayzz911 said:
TheMajesticSpaceDuck said:
So now the console is from what I can gather looking at preorders ?330 and if I want to charge the controllers while I play that'll be another ?30 and the game price point seems to be about ?70-75. I was actually super hyped for the Switch. Now maybe I'll pick up one second hand for Christmas 2018.
Depends on where you live because sales tax aka VAT is different in your country to mine
For me its 309 for the console, fairly sure the charging thing is 30 still(i can deal with the 20 hour battery life so i dont think im gonna get it either way) and the games being 70-75? wut? havn't seen this anywhere, just the normal 60 eu like it is on every other console.
Ireland. 70-75 is the standard price for games here. Checkout GameStop.ie

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't recall if they did this with the WiiU, but I do remember them doing this with the Wii.

It was stupid then, and it's stupid now.

I understand that some accessories will have to be bought on the side in order to cut the cost somewhat, but Nintendo is notorious for making you buy a lot of extras.

Then again, they did make you buy the charger for the 3DS, so I don't know what their fucking problem is anymore.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Do I need to buy it if I want to charge my joycons?
No. If you're not actively using them you can just put them back on the Switch and they'll charge.

You know. Like the Wii U gamepad does.

If you put your shit back when you're done with it, this will not bother you. If you leave your crap laying around everywhere, you could save yourself $30 and just stop doing that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
RaikuFA said:
No. If you're not actively using them you can just put them back on the Switch and they'll charge.

If you put your shit back when you're done with it, this will not bother you. If you leave your crap laying around everywhere, you could save yourself $30 and just stop doing that.
Good. I at least put it back/charge it overnight.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Jacked Assassin said:
Rastrelly said:
I am starting to think nintendo fans suffer from some odd form of Stockholm Syndrome.
You're just starting? I feel like I've known that since N64 versus PlayStation.
I usually avoid reading console-related news, but this thing got to annoying to ignore T__T

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
sagitel said:
Kajin said:
An inconvenience, but not a huge one. If the 20 hours of battery life is true, even if that gets halved during the life of the console all it really amounts to is making a habit of putting them back on the portable screen when you're done playing.

Which... Why wouldn't you?
it adds the two unnecessary steps of kneeling near the console and taking the .... joycons (god i hate that name) and also kneeling and putting them back.
This is difficult?

It feels like you and the other people in this thread are just nitpicking for reasons to be upset. I mean, there are better reasons to be upset at Nintendo's Switch plan (the paid subscription with no tangible benefits over the competition springs to mind. Honestly just a paid subscription at all. The Wii U is the only console I've played online since the PS3. Come on Nintendo why the fuck did you have to go and fuck that up?!).

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Hasn't this been a thing with consoles? X box controllers where you need to buy the play n charge kit, PS3 Controllers without rumble for no reason, etc

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Were people expecting this?

I'm actually not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious if people were expecting the shell to charge, because general controller setups don't work this way on any of the systems.

Both PS4 and Xbox are set up to charge, unplug, play, plug back in. Neither of them come with cables long enough to practically play while still charging, not unless you like to stand two feet away from your system while you play. Wii controllers had zero ability to charge while you play even if you bought a charger, and they ate batteries like a beast. So did 360 controllers unless you, surprise surprise, bought a charging kit.

So lets stop for a second and really think about this. Do you have any reason to leave the Joycons anywhere but docked on the Switch and charging when not in use, and are you really going to use the Switch in docked mode for longer in one sitting then that charge will last? I mean, I know Breath of the Wild looks really good and all, but that good?

And if your play sessions are long enough to put a dent in their charge time, there's a good chance you're the type who'd buy a Pro Controller anyways. Now yes, the Pro Controller is stupidly priced, there isn't really much that'll excuse it. I can almost understand using it as a way to recoup a loss taken on the hardware itself, because manufacturers do that all the time early in a system's life, but considering people already have a problem with the controller pricepoint it probably wasn't worth the PR hit. However, it's also important not to forget that it's still only about half the price of Microsoft's special alternate controller, so this is both not a unique problem unfortunate though it may be, and more importantly not something that people seemed to care about back when Microsoft did it.

There are legitimate concerns to have about the Switch, whether you think it looks promising or not. There's still a lot, a lot a lot, of questions to answer about it's online functionality, and especially it's pricepoint, and what we've heard so far hasn't exactly been thrilling. There are still more than a bit of performance benchmarking that'd be really nice to see, even if the initial reports are encouraging. And there's always the hanging question over any new system of whether or not Nintendo is going to properly support it over it's lifespan even if the hardware itself is perfectly fine.

But let's try not to jump down the throat of every little minor grievance or borderline inconvenience just because they aren't starting us off on the best foot. At the absolute least, Microsoft didn't reverse always-online because everyone was complaining about how they didn't like the color or the asymmetrical sticks.

Which is actually my biggest complaint about the Joycons. I prefer symmetrical sticks.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
sagitel said:
it adds the two unnecessary steps of kneeling near the console and taking the .... joycons (god i hate that name) and also kneeling and putting them back.
Oh no, I might need to move slightly to charge the things when I'm not using them. Not like most folk do this with their phones when they need to.

It'd be nice if the controller charged the Joycons and we didn't have to pay money for one that does, but let's not be so damn lazy and make this sound like a big deal. Just put the Joycons back in the system when you're done. Excuse the obvious sarcasm, but it'll be impossible to convince me this sort of thing is hard to do.

Kajin said:
This is difficult?
Apparently

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
RaikuFA said:
Paragon Fury said:
RaikuFA said:

Good. I at least put it back/charge it overnight.
Phew this is not as bad as I thought then. I'll most probably be playing at home with the pro controller anyway so its not too much of a worry but it helps knowing that I can still charge them at least by essentially docking them on the console.

Upon closer inspection of this charging grip though its actually a really stupid choice on Ninty's part. Like legit the only big addition here is that you can plug a charging cable in it and charge the joy-cons like you would do a regular controller.

...Why isn't this just standard with the grip that comes out the box? From what I understand they're cutting where they can to keep the base console package price low but there's a line here and this kinda crosses it. Like I'm surprised they had the sense at least to not sell the Switch separately from the dock now that I think of it.