The Kickstarter Fun Continues With Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
This guy has /NO/ plan, and has indicated he's fine with taking the money and trying to use it to pitch it to a publisher. I don't have faith that $200,000 is enough to get any sort of shooter done that would fit the "Hardcore Tactical" niche, and even then since there's been no prep work, I've got no idea what he's planning to do as far as the project goes.

This project might be good, but there's just not enough planning before he put up his requests.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
- 'They don't buy a lot of games.'
- 'They buy one game a year.'

I think these publisher reasons may very well be the wall that this team is hitting. Military sims are incredibly long lasting and durable, and many of the fans probably just play the old games.

Marketing a shooter also isn't nearly as distinct as marketing an adventure game. Even though tactical shooters are very different from action shooters, they look very much the same at first glance.

They are also directly competing with ARMA
http://www.arma2.com/home_en.html

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
krellen said:
I didn't hear the magic words: "Turn-based".

Guess I'll just have to give Brian Fargo more money instead.
Out of curiousity which squad based tactical shooters were ever turn based? Every one I can think of was real time.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Man, did you HAVE to link this on the Wasteland 2-kickstarter comments? Now they actually payed attention and made a newspost about it. I was kinda hoping this one would settle and die (so that people could give their money to someone else).

And you, you know who you are.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
Out of curiousity which squad based tactical shooters were ever turn based? Every one I can think of was real time.
Honestly, I would describe X-Com as a "Hardcore Turn-Based Tactical Shooter". Not first-person, obviously, but I don't see "first person" in this title.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
FelixG said:
Azuaron said:
Woah... uh, you can't give away firearms using Kickstarter. First, the rewards have to be something created from the funded project and/or the person doing the project, and Christian Allen's not making those guns. (Edit: Oh, it seems he's "customized" them. Maybe that will work.)

Secondly, and more importantly, Kickstarter is tied to Amazon Payments' use policy, which prohibits selling firearms [https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/about?nodeId=6023].

So, sorry, no one's getting a gun. He'll be lucky if the mods don't remove his campaign.
They aren't selling firearms, they are selling a game, they are giving away the gun as a reward for giving X amount of money.

There is not much of a difference, but it is there.
According to Kickstarter and Amazon, users are "buying" the rewards.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Saucycarpdog said:

A new Q and A was posted by Serellan. I've got to say, this sounds awesome.
Sounds like he's a bit bitter about Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo.