The Last of Us Dev Diary Examines the Infected

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
The Last of Us Dev Diary Examines the Infected

Naughty Dog explains that deadly fungus does not a zombie make.

If you've been keeping an eye on The Last of Us, noting in particular a stealth gameplay trailer featuring clicking, shambling enemies, you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're going to see another zombie game. A Naughty Dog developer dairy reveals some additional details on the enemies that players will face, and the team wants to stress that there won't be a virus that gives you a taste for human meat.

The first video of the series, titled "Hush", shows that the origin of the Infected stems from the idea of a Cordyceps fungus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis], which acts as a parasite and grows from within its host. Creative Director Neil Druckmann explains that the team was watching a video of BBC's Planet Earth when they stumbled upon the idea. "As soon as we saw it, we were intrigued by the idea of, 'What if it jumped to humans?'"

He goes on to say that once an Infected dies, the fungus grows out of the corpse and releases spores that, once inhaled, can infect another human being.

"We went through quite a process figuring out what the Infected were going to be," says Phillip Kovats, Audio Lead for Naughty Dog. "A very big directive from the very beginning was they're not zombies." Kovats states that the fungus is going to be the main enemy of the game, rather than the people, although if previous trailers are anything to go by [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/6194-The-Last-of-Us-Gamescom-Trailer], it looks like surviving humans will be just as dangerous as an enraged parasite host.

The Last of Us, after a release date delay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122108-Sony-Delays-The-Last-of-Us], is now coming to the PlayStation 3 on June 14.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Did anyone else get the impression that they were foreshadowing Joel getting infected?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
why did the sound of these creatures sound like the ghosts from the grudge movies?
thats all really nice so when will it come out for the pc?? :D

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Why GODDAMIT is it only for the ps3 for crying out loud.FUCKING HELL I want to play this game so bad but I can't because it's an exclusive, seriously I would be willing to pay $150 dollars just for the normal version of this game but noooooooooo it just had to be exclusive T_T.
captcha: do it now
see even captcha agrees!

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Great. Another thing to buy.
Metalrocks said:
why did the sound of these creatures sound like the ghosts from the grudge movies?
thats all really nice so when will it come out for the pc?? :D
Soon, just keep waiting :)

Dec 14, 2009
I had an inkling that they were using ther whole mushroom parasite thing when I saw the first trailer.

Funnily enough, I learned about it from the same programme :D

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Really? I thought they sounded like Velociraptors hahaha

As much as they are trying to draw the whole Plants versus Zombies comparison (hehehe) I still think they seem to be reaching a bit. I mean, how is it any different really, than the T virus mutations in Resident Evil?

Granted the fungal/plant growth theme is cool, but even dressed up as plants, the AI and animation will probably still have them come across as zombies.

Also, is anyone else baffled as to why this wasn't made a PS4 launch title? Seems like it would have been a perfect fit...

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
ron1n said:
Also, is anyone else baffled as to why this wasn't made a PS4 launch title? Seems like it would have been a perfect fit...
I remember checking up on trailers on Youtube the day the game was announced.

The username thelastofus is registered way back in 2005 or something. So its safe to say this game has been in plan for a long time.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
Vault101 said:
mateushac said:
Any petition for a PC version yet?
no chance...unlike other games its exclusive to one console and one console only
So how many years off do you think it'll be that we can get a smoothly running PS3 emulator ;)? One that will work on a PC that's not exactly new as well?

PC's always catch up in time, but I hope its soon this time.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, but they are still zombies. like my all time favourt parasite fungus, the Ophiocordyceps unilateralis. That is a feking scary fungus.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So that image of ants with mushrooms growing out of their skull stuck in their minds too, huh?

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
When the video talked about a sound that scares people and I heard the clicking noise all i could think of was the predator.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I just knew cordyceps was the influence for these creatures.

Sure, we've all probably seen this by now. But hey, why not watch again?

One of the most fascinating and profoundly disturbing things in nature, I think.

I wonder how much of this phenomena is present in the game. Naughty Dog seems to have followed the entire infection cycle, right down to the bitter end of it. And I wonder whether or not we'll discover the reason that such a fungus exists in the Last of Us. Perhaps for the same reasons explained in the video?

If it really is that virulent. I have to wonder how Joel and Ellie will remain uninfected through the game.

Gotta hand it to Naughty Dog though, those super-mutated clicker zombies are very creepy.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Tohuvabohu said:
I just knew cordyceps was the influence for these creatures.

Sure, we've all probably seen this by now. But hey, why not watch again?

One of the most fascinating and profoundly disturbing things in nature, I think.

I wonder how much of this phenomena is present in the game. Naughty Dog seems to have followed the entire infection cycle, right down to the bitter end of it. And I wonder whether or not we'll discover the reason that such a fungus exists in the Last of Us. Perhaps for the same reasons explained in the video?

If it really is that virulent. I have to wonder how Joel and Ellie will remain uninfected through the game.

Gotta hand it to Naughty Dog though, those super-mutated clicker zombies are very creepy.

Nature finds a way. Since it's basically just embellished non-fiction it can be explained away as having evolved or mutated recently. It's a neat idea, sometimes nature is scarier than fiction. And who knows, maybe they don't remain uninfected.