The Last Of Us Faces Another Rip-Off Accusation - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Last Of Us Faces Another Rip-Off Accusation - UPDATED

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Neo781/status/348513721330565121]​
The maker of an unofficial Boston transit map claims that Naughty Dog used it in The Last Of Us without his permission.

The Last Of Us came under fire yesterday when actress Ellen Page accused it of noted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125311-Ellen-Page-Naughty-Dog-Ripped-Off-My-Likeness], it's unlikely that Page holds a "property-like title to being a generic 4'9" brunette") and while Naughty Dog's claim that it was a "complete coincidence" that Ellie's appearance was changed to be less Page-like shortly after she signed up for Beyond Two Souls is a little dodgy, the studio also made a point of noting that the role was actually filled by a completely different actor, Ashley Johnson.

But the game is also facing a somewhat less-high-profile claim of bad behavior from Cameron Booth, a graphic designer who created and posted a redesigned "Boston MBTA Map" back in 2012 in response to what he felt were shortcomings in the real thing. I don't really get the whole idea of redesigning mass transit maps as a hobby but it's apparently pretty good as these things go and he's actually received several very positive comments about it on his blog [http://www.cambooth.net/archives/850].

Somehow, that map ended up in The Last Of Us without his knowledge or permission, a fact brought to Booth's attention on Twitter [https://twitter.com/Neo781/status/348513721330565121] a few days ago that left him "fucking furious," as he put it on the Transit Maps tumblr.

"For a software developer - especially a big developer working on a blockbuster title like this - to casually appropriate someone else's work and incorporate it into their game without any discussion with the owner of that work is completely unacceptable. (Not to mention hugely ironic, as the software industry is always complaining about piracy of their work)," he wrote.

"Naughty Dog seems to have known that they couldn't use the official map without paying a hefty license fee, so it looks like they just went on the internet and found another one. Cos, you know, images on the internet are free for anyone to use, right? Not," he continued. "To be clear: at no point have Naughty Dog contacted me about using my intellectual property (this visual representation of the Boston rapid transit network) in their product. To be even more clear: if you want to use my work commercially, payment before usage is required. If you're making money from your product, then you can pay me for my work as well."

Booth said he's attempted to contact Naughty Dog to learn where they found the image, how it ended up in the game and how he'll be compensated for his work, but in a recent Twitter update he revealed [https://twitter.com/transitmap/status/349595899346948097] that he's not yet received any response. "I started on Twitter, moved on to their corporate email, next step will be an actual, physical letter," he wrote.

A substantial number of comments on the Tumblr post have criticized Booth's response, suggesting that he has no right to claim credit for a slightly-modified copy of the official MBTA map, but Booth said his map is original work and that this is a very clear case of unethical behavior. "What Naughty Dog has done is not ethical, or good industry practice. I have people at my work who come to me all the time saying, 'I found this picture on the Internet we can use.' My answer is always a solid, 'Unless you can prove to me that we have the rights to use that image, then legally, we can't use it'," he wrote. "That's what someone at Naughty Dog should have said, but for some reason, they didn't. Regardless of whether you think my work is original or not (which it legally is), it was not Naughty Dog's to use. "

Naughty Dog has yet to comment on the complaint.

UPDATE: Naughty Dog still hasn't publicly commented but the situation appears to be headed to a happy ending, as Booth updated his blog post yesterday to say that he'd had a "very constructive conversation" with the studio on the telephone.

"Can't say more at the moment, but it seems as if matters will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction shortly," he wrote. "I can say that they do acknowledge their error in using my map and were very apologetic for it. I likewise apologized for my initial vitriolic post. A lot of mutual respect for each other's creative work."

We'll update again if and when Booth reveals the details of his agreement with Naughty Dog but for now it's just nice to see everyone trying to work this out like adults. If only all such conflicts could be handled that way.

Source: @NickCapozzoli [http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/53696766419/boston-theft] for the tip.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Now that they know it is his, I agree they should respond, but to be honest depending on how they discovered it I can't see it being difficult to not realise that it was made by a graphic designer, it's not like it was a well known intellectual property or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they just image searched for a map and it came up somewhere.

Although of course they should still have done their research and looked into it properly.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
As much as I would love to back somebody using the same tactics that big businesses use to screw over your average joe this guy comes off as a massive dick just trying to money grub it reminds me of that guy that tried to sue Rockstar Games cause he looked kinda like CJ from San Andreas

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Oh boy its gang up on the new big game out there for cash time. uh uh They stole my burrito design! You remember that old crusty one in the background of the game. Yeah, that ones mine the theifs. They obviously intentionally did this to get under my specific skin and be the bad guys cause thats what all big game developers do

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Maybe it showed up in Google Images and they thought it was free source.
That would still be remarkably unprofessional. Ensuring that you have the rights to everything you use is a pretty basic legal requirement when making something like this.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Blessed be all who infringe on another's IP without their permission and build something new and amazing while using it.

And fuck'em all who would use IP laws to hinder and limit and manipulate the telling of new stories, invention of new tools, and production of new knowledge for no good reason.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Well, if THAT'S the case, then come ON, Naughty Dog. I used free sounds from the internet in a presentation once, and even my derpy Grade 10 self was careful enough to cite the things. You know, just in case THIS happens.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
ClockworkUniverse said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
That would still be remarkably unprofessional. Ensuring that you have the rights to everything you use is a pretty basic legal requirement when making something like this.
I'm not defending them, I just think an employee saw the image and was too lazy to look into it. I guess I'm trying to say that this is probably the cause of laziness or ineptitude instead of there being malicious intent.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
This guy did site his redesigned map with the title, logo, and website of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority; it's entirely reasonable to assume that someone mistook it for the real thing, rather than an... artist reinterpretation?

Couldn't this Booth guy get sued by Massachusetts Bay for using their trademarks without permission, let alone the aforementioned taking of their map, changing 2 turns & calling it original (just looked up the original; he changed 2 routes slightly)?

I'm finding it difficult to pick a side on this one

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ClockworkUniverse said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I'm not defending them, I just think an employee saw the image and was too lazy to look into it. I guess I'm trying to say that this is probably the cause of laziness or ineptitude instead of there being malicious intent.
I would think that to be most likely the case.
Either way, they should at least contact the guy, else the probability that it was of malicious intent grows.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Huh... didn't even think of maps being copyrighted, but apparently it's a big business. Some manufacturers even have copyright traps in their maps, adding towns or points of interest on their maps that don't actually exist to make it easier to tell if the map is theirs or not.

But here's the trick in this case. Sounds like this guy didn't publish or distribute the map they used, he just did it for S&Gs to show what was wrong. Naughty Dog basically found a way to use a non-copyright map, which is pretty rare, and now this guy doesn't have a leg to stand on in the conversation. Posting an edited map on your blog doesn't make it copyrighted.

Sure it's a bit conniving on Naughty Dog's end, but this guy isn't a victim either. Hell, he just got free publicity for a map edit he's received ZERO money for... past, present and future. Take the publicity and shut up, dude.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Unless he has permission from Massachusetts Bay to use their name and to modify their intellectual property he has got no right to the map. As long as Massachusetts Bay is fine about naughty dog using it they can do what they like with the map.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:
This guy did site his redesigned map with the title, logo, and website of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority; it's entirely reasonable to assume that someone mistook it for the real thing, rather than an... artist reinterpretation?

Couldn't this Booth guy get sued by Massachusetts Bay for using their trademarks without permission, let alone the aforementioned taking of their map, changing 2 turns & calling it original (just looked up the original; he changed 2 routes slightly)?

I'm finding it difficult to pick a side on this one
Fair point, after reviewing the case, I could not tell you if Booth has a legitimate copyright claim on the map. That would have to be up to the courts to decided.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well whoever was in charge of the assets borked it, he probably thought it's the official map which as far as I know wouldn't need permissions.
And obviously it is very questionable what claim this guy has on earnings since his map is only a minor variation of someone else's work.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I can see why the guy's upset but for fuck's sake, what kind of a reaction is that? he's 'fucking furious'?

good god. how about contacting Naughty Dog first and describe the situation in a POLITE manner? I know this is the internet but would it kill him to behave like a human being for a change?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Quiotu said:
Huh... didn't even think of maps being copyrighted, but apparently it's a big business. Some manufacturers even have copyright traps in their maps, adding towns or points of interest on their maps that don't actually exist to make it easier to tell if the map is theirs or not
I would be so pissed if I went to a town that had an interesting name, only for it to turn out not to exist. Isn't the point of maps to show what's actually there?

By the sound of it, most of his peers are against him. Could he choose to sue?

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
He may have a strong stance (or not. I don't know how much copyright protection maps fall under), but he seems to come off as pretty antagonistic. If his map was that good to be confused with the actual map, then maybe ND didn't even know it was really his? Maybe someone meant to contact him but ended up being lazy? Besides, its not like ND took his map and used it in promotional material constantly or in posters or something (besides being in the actual game of course). Theft is theft, sure, but maybe he should calm down a bit.

All I'm saying is that these things can happen but his attitude, while justifiable, makes him come off as greedy or desperate or something. If he had already tried everything he could to contact ND and still didn't get a response, THEN I could see him getting upset. From what I see, its clear the map is his, so hopefully this gets resolved easily and soon.