The Last of Us Gets Four New Multiplayer Maps

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
The Last of Us Gets Four New Multiplayer Maps

Tomorrow, a handful of brand new multiplayer maps are heading to The Last of Us.

When The Last of Us was released last June, it quickly became one of the most highly praised titles of the year. Naughty Dog's latest game was constructed using subtle storytelling and nuanced character development, which was a welcome change from the kind of explosion-filled foolishness that's common in the videogame industry. However, while critics were pilling accolades onto the game's single-player campaign, the multiplayer component was consistently overlooked. But Naughty Dog is hoping to change all of that with four brand new multiplayer maps.

The maps--"Bookstore," "Hometown," "Bus Depot," and "Suburbs"--will be released tomorrow and will drain $9.99 from your bank account. Though, if you already have a season pass, you won't need to worry about the cost.

The new maps all attempt to draw from the single-player campaign in some way. Most of them simply revisit some of the game's more iconic locales, but "Hometown" adds a bit of depth to Joel's backstory. Players will recognize the map from The Last of Us' opening sequence, but the apocalypse has been hard on Joel's former stomping grounds.

Starting tomorrow, you may have to put Grand Theft Auto V back on the shelf for a few days.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/14/behold-the-last-of-us-four-new-multiplayer-maps]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Commander Obvious said:
Everyone would prefer more story content.
Yup.

Played like 2 matches of the multiplayer and it's alright but nowhere near as good as the singleplayer experience.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
^ Exactly. The multiplayer's been done well but frankly I probably would have enjoyed TLoU just as much without it, I truly don't understand why ND decided it needs 2 pieces of DLC but the campaign only needs one (at least as far as the season pass goes).

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
I'd have to disagree with you guys. I freaking love the multiplayer in the game. It perfectly captures the feeling of the single player's tone and manages to turn that into a surprisingly fun, tense, and deep deathmatch. Also, that story content you (and I, as well) want? It's coming. December-January time frame. However, those take way more time than 4 maps. This is just like the Bioshock Infinite DLC stuff. It's coming. Just be patient and all that jazz.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Ugh. This is why I always get frustrated when games with strong Single Player elements tack on a multiplayer; you just know multiplayer is going to get way more DLC support than the single player, on account that its cheaper to produce.