The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just finished the second half of Stone Ocean. It just keeps getting better and better. Unfortunately, and I saw it coming any way, we now got to wait for the finale portion. At least Joylne, Irma, and Emporio were able to make a jailbreak. So good bye prison setting!

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Finished Season 1 of Star Wars: Rebels. I am really liking this show. The main crew all works well and has solid chemistry, with Kanan especially standing out for me, and Chopper being a great psychotic little droid. I was worried about the threat level being diminished with how incompetent the Stormtroopers are (even compared to other Star Wars media), but the Inquisitor and Tarkin have completely changed my mind on that. Granted, one of those two is probably not going to be around anymore, but his replacement has even more potential. Looking forward to where Season 2 takes me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It was made by communists, in other words, people who take pride in their labour.
It shows what happens when the budget is much higher then what is needed and the animators decide to just run with it.

Look at the old super man cartoons. They didn't really want to make them so they gave some super high budget request per cartoon but to their surprise the studio agreed.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just finished the last 2 episodes of Den-Noh Coil after about a 4 month hiatus. I watched most of it before I went to school, and just now got around to watching the last 2. For some reason I was putting it off. I liked it quite a bit, I might post some more detailed thoughts later when I haven't been awake for 22 hours, but something is bothering me.

@Specter Von Baren didn't you watch and make some posts about the show earlier this year? I thought for sure you did, because reading those was what prompted me to watch it to begin with. I can't find them now though, and am starting to think I must have somehow mis-attributed them to you in my head.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Just finished the last 2 episodes of Den-Noh Coil after about a 4 month hiatus. I watched most of it before I went to school, and just now got around to watching the last 2. For some reason I was putting it off. I liked it quite a bit, I might post some more detailed thoughts later when I haven't been awake for 22 hours, but something is bothering me.

@Specter Von Baren didn't you watch and make some posts about the show earlier this year? I thought for sure you did, because reading those was what prompted me to watch it to begin with. I can't find them now though, and am starting to think I must have somehow mis-attributed them to you in my head.
I don't know what that series is. I have talked about going on hiatus with a series for a while and then returning much later though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So I managed to get myself spoiled for Episode 1 of Rick and Morty Season 6... I haven't watched the episode itself yet, but the direction they're taking it sounds very promising.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Primal by Genndy Tartakovsky of Samurai Jack fame. HBO Max. S1 E1-2. 9/10.

Really simple story telling of a cave man and his dinosaur. Just great.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Binged all of Inside Job Season 1 on Netflix.

It was... alright. As far as Rick and Morty knockoffs go it's not bad, but it's also not great. I swear to God they would use CGI occasionally, which is bizzare. Animation can also be really uneven, it's like they outsourced explosion effects to a different studio.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Binged all of Inside Job Season 1 on Netflix.

It was... alright. As far as Rick and Morty knockoffs go it's not bad, but it's also not great. I swear to God they would use CGI occasionally, which is bizzare. Animation can also be really uneven, it's like they outsourced explosion effects to a different studio.
From what I heard, the animation and writing gets better in Season 2 and Season 3. I'll get to it after I finish Glitch Techs. I've been putting off due being busy and looking at all of the current gaming news.

Saw the newest episode of Primal on Saturday. What a nice way to finish that mini-arc. Now back to the vengeful Viking dude, who sold his soul to be a walking, flaming, wreck of destruction.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
From what I heard, the animation and writing gets better in Season 2 and Season 3. I'll get to it after I finish Glitch Techs. I've been putting off due being busy and looking at all of the current gaming news.
Oh what are there new seasons already? Weird, I could have sworn only one was available on Netflix.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Tried the first episode of the cyberpunk anime. It's pretty but it looks like the most cliche story ever with 0 attempt to make it an interesting story. As I was watching it the only thing I could think of is how much more interesting the story would have been if the mother was the main character.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Anyway, yes, Den-noh Coil, or Coil - A Circle of Children. It was really good. The setting is a world where Google Glass really took off. Everybody has a pair of glasses that lets them overlay computer images over top of the real world, and it seems like a really cool and useful technology. The show does a lot with the concept, and there's a big focus on exploring the mysteries of the unrefined edge of the tech. A lot of hacking and exploration of bugs and exploits and old semi-deleted E-spaces. It's a lot of fun. The show starts off as slice of life, but eventually progresses to focus on the plot as the mysteries unfold. I think it ends pretty well, too, even if it does get get a little melancholic near the end. It's not a long show either, and doesn't wear out it's welcome.

I always have trouble, thinking of a lot to say about a show that I like. Doesn't help that it's been a couple months since I watched most of it. Anyway, give it a watch if you want a somewhat lighthearted, somewhat sad, technological thriller. And here's a couple of gifs to make up for my lack of eloquence:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
@Casual Shinji, have you seen S2E10 of Primal yet? If not, please see it.

It's beautiful....
Yeah, but...

brucewillisdoubletake.gif

Really Myra?! Okay, damn girl! While he's all crispy?

It was nice to see, but it really looks like this show was suddenly given the axe and they had to rush an ending, as I'm assuming this is the end. I did like seeing Spear's past and how his father was also someone from a far away land, looking more feral than the people from Spear's tribe. And then ofcourse Spear looking more feral/bestial than Myra's tribe. It's kind of outrageous we didn't get any moment between Fang and Spear though as he was dying. Those two have been through so much together, but Fang just gets upset and walks away. Again, the team probably wasn't given the time, but it still sucks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Really Myra?! Okay, damn girl! While he's all crispy?
Aside from that part. Everything else before and afterward is beautiful. If they were gonna do it, I would have preferred before he became extra crispy. I did not need to see that either.

It was nice to see, but it really looks like this show was suddenly given the axe and they had to rush an ending, as I'm assuming this is the end. I did like seeing Spear's past and how his father was also someone from a far away land, looking more feral than the people from Spear's tribe. And then ofcourse Spear looking more feral/bestial than Myra's tribe. It's kind of outrageous we didn't get any moment between Fang and Spear though as he was dying. Those two have been through so much together, but Fang just gets upset and walks away. Again, the team probably wasn't given the time, but it still sucks.
At least Primal wasn't as rushed as the Samurai Jack finale. I still love the latter too, but I have no problem admitting it. Primal can actually end here fine, and I don't have a problem with it. I am more or less done with HBO Max, now the fuckers charge want axe anything that has people of color or gender in power position and sympathetic views. I know Harley Quinn is still gonna get another season, so there is that. Yet I might just go ahead and get the box sets on principle alone.

Reactions: Casual Shinji