The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hot anime take: Dragon Ball Z's and Super's *non-combat* "filler" episodes are some of the best episodes in the series.
Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma's wacky space adventures? Fantastic
Goku and Piccolo getting drivers licenses? Hilarious
Gohan going to high school and being a superhero? I'd watch 3 seasons and a movie
Goku getting distracted by Mr Satan's galactic martial arts exhibition while he was trying to get his tractor fixed? Amazing
Gohan being a stunt double for Movie Great Sayaman? Good character bit
The Universal Baseball Game? Yamacha's finest moment
Vegeta Blue vs Arale? Perfection
There's a few standout in there when they try to do something different, but they end up dragging and being repetitive, Gohan being stuck in the forest felt like it lasted forever and after 2-3 episode you got the gist of it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
think DBZ would be pretty good if you just trimmed a bit of the fat with the fight dragging on too long and re using a bit too much animation and too many filler episode.
DBZ has a lot of problems even beside the filler. Toriyama just seemed to be losing interest in the series by the time the Frieza arc rolled around, which is why Namek is the most boring planet in the universe and doesn't even so much as have night while the fake Namek in the filler episode is way more interesting.

I don't know about that, The first animes I watched were Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing, and as an adult I think both of those are basically terrible. I don't view them fondly in the least.

Trigun and Cowboy Beebop are genuinely still fantastic to me though. I should really rewatch Trigun.
I watched both those shows a couple of years ago. Cowboy Bebop was tolerable, but didn't have anything near resembling the heights it's hyped up to. Trigun was a completely awful, cringeworthy, slog to reach the end.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I don't know about that, The first animes I watched were Dragon Ball Z and Gundam Wing, and as an adult I think both of those are basically terrible. I don't view them fondly in the least.

Trigun and Cowboy Beebop are genuinely still fantastic to me though. I should really rewatch Trigun.
I watched both those shows a couple of years ago. Cowboy Bebop was tolerable, but didn't have anything near resembling the heights it's hyped up to. Trigun was a completely awful, cringeworthy, slog to reach the end.
I can sorta get why people like Bebop a lot, but Trigun is something I don't get. The bloodless firefights weren't really anything to write home about(not saying I need violence and gore, but the fights weren't that fun to watch), and I found Vash to be rather annoying. I think I found the setting somewhat interesting but that was kinda it?

I never managed to sit through Gundam Wing, I gave up after the first 3 or so episodes cause Heero and Relena were such utter numbskulls. Wing is still the only Gundam AU I haven't watched... no wait there's also G-Reco. I know someone who still loves Gundam Wing to this very day.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
DBZ has a lot of problems even beside the filler. Toriyama just seemed to be losing interest in the series by the time the Frieza arc rolled around, which is why Namek is the most boring planet in the universe and doesn't even so much as have night while the fake Namek in the filler episode is way more interesting.

Most fun I ever got out of Trigun was a pretty decent AMV made of its footage backed by Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cowboy Bebop was tolerable, but didn't have anything near resembling the heights it's hyped up to
A lot of the hype was years ago when brought to VHS and especially when aired on adult_swim in 2001. It's great show that broke ground, but does not seem as unique anymore to newer and younger anime fans. Certain old-school anime or Bebop fans over hyping the show for 20 years did not help. Though I disagree. Bebop is more interesting and unique than a lot of the anime that comes out today. Even more than back in the past. At least anime from 80s, 90s, and 2000s were off doing to their own things, even if trends were being followed. The industry was not perfect and had plenty of problems that still are not solved today. The problem modern anime is how homogenized it has become.

Trigun was a completely awful, cringeworthy, slog to reach the end.
I call bullshit. Trigun ain't cringe-worthy nor completely awful. If it did not appeal to you, fine, but nothing is cringe-worthy about Trigun. You want actual fucking cringe, watch Love Hina, Inuyasha, Elfen Lied, Eureka Seven, .hack//Sign, or any early 2000s anime that never made it past their pilot or OVAs. These shows are either boring, annoying, cringe filled, or all the above.

but Trigun is something I don't get. The bloodless firefights weren't really anything to write home about(not saying I need violence and gore, but the fights weren't that fun to watch), and I found Vash to be rather annoying. I think I found the setting somewhat interesting but that was kinda it?
Not all the fights are bloodless. That is definitely not true. There is many a blood spillage without going overboard with the gore. I don't know what show you were watching, but that don't sound like Trigun. As for why you don't get it, this should clear the air:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I call bullshit. Trigun ain't cringe-worthy nor completely awful. If it did not appeal to you, fine, but nothing is cringe-worthy about Trigun. You wan actual fucking cringe, watch [snip] Inuyasha
Inuyasha was way better than Trigun.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Most fun I ever got out of Trigun was a pretty decent AMV made of its footage backed by Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory".
Most fun I got out of Trigun was an AMV made with it's footage backed by Arrogant Worms' "Wouldn't It Be Great if Everybody Had a Gun?"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Inuyasha was way better than Trigun.
Bullshit! Inuyasha was over a 150 episodes of nothing, but pointless filler, non-serial movies that wasted everyone's time, and focused on a shitty love triangle with a spoiled teenage girl, a woman who can't make up her fucking mind after finding out Inuyasha did not betray her, and a male protag that gets abused half the time by his "love interest" for no good reason. And we're supposed to like her or find it funny, cuz double standard female on male abuse. Fuck that shit! Trigun accomplished more in 26 episodes, than Inuyasha's overly long narrative that boils down to every time they get to Naraku, there is some type of bullshit where he gets away or lives to fight another day ad-nauseum. Horrible characterizations and story structure. Inuyasha had many defenders back then, but good luck finding a lot of them now. Telling it like it is. Tell'em fellas:

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Yuru Camp is the best anime ever and none of you know what you're talking about. Are we really doing this?

So I've just taken note of a new PA Works show coming out next season. Aquatope of White Sand. I feel like I haven't watched a PA Works anime for a long ass time and this is looking like some of their more usual fare. Their most recent show is The Day I Became a God, and I gave it a hard pass. Jun Maeda was writing it, he also wrote Charlotte which I consider one of the hottest garbage animes I put myself through.

I can't believe it's been over a year since Appare-Ranman, which was fairly atypical of a PA Works anime but an enjoyable ride. I kinda liked the fact they've tried doing something besides their usual character dramas, but the results have been rather mixed. Sirius was eh. Fairy Gone was absolutely terrible and I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

Honestly PA Works anime have been very hit and miss for me. I really liked Hanasaku Iroha and Shirobako. I couldn't stand Glasslip. Eccentric Family's pretty good. Sakura Quest bored me to tears. I wish they'd to a sequel to Kuromukuro, which was oddly good(though the mech animation left something to be desired, and the gatling weapons being fired on semi auto made me angry).

And Kyoto Animation is finally back in the game with a new season of Maidragon. I'm not gonna comment on the title itself, but I'm glad they are back in some capacity and hopefully they keep it up and get to do 20th Century Electricity Catalog at some point.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yuru Camp is the best anime ever and none of you know what you're talking about. Are we really doing this?

So I've just taken note of a new PA Works show coming out next season. Aquatope of White Sand. I feel like I haven't watched a PA Works anime for a long ass time and this is looking like some of their more usual fare. Their most recent show is The Day I Became a God, and I gave it a hard pass. Jun Maeda was writing it, he also wrote Charlotte which I consider one of the hottest garbage animes I put myself through.

I can't believe it's been over a year since Appare-Ranman, which was fairly atypical of a PA Works anime but an enjoyable ride. I kinda liked the fact they've tried doing something besides their usual character dramas, but the results have been rather mixed. Sirius was eh. Fairy Gone was absolutely terrible and I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

Honestly PA Works anime have been very hit and miss for me. I really liked Hanasaku Iroha and Shirobako. I couldn't stand Glasslip. Eccentric Family's pretty good. Sakura Quest bored me to tears. I wish they'd to a sequel to Kuromukuro, which was oddly good(though the mech animation left something to be desired, and the gatling weapons being fired on semi auto made me angry).

And Kyoto Animation is finally back in the game with a new season of Maidragon. I'm not gonna comment on the title itself, but I'm glad they are back in some capacity and hopefully they keep it up and get to do 20th Century Electricity Catalog at some point.
Dunno about best ever, but yeah Yuru camp is easily in my top 5 if not top 3.

PA work is hit and miss because they don't have much of a permanent staff, almost every project they do is a new different director so that's why its so hit and miss, and if there's one thing I learned from Shirobako is that most director are pretty awful at their job. Appare-ranman was disapoiting because I wanted "anime wacky race" and instead got "entitled asshole eventually drive stupid car". Also really liked Iroha and Shirobako, probably the best work they did. I generally liked eccentric family but found most character hard to relate and understand (main character constantly talk about how much his father dead affected him but he doesn't seem to care that everyone involved in the murder is walking free and will most likely kill again).

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Dunno about best ever, but yeah Yuru camp is easily in my top 5 if not top 3.

PA work is hit and miss because they don't have much of a permanent staff, almost every project they do is a new different director so that's why its so hit and miss, and if there's one thing I learned from Shirobako is that most director are pretty awful at their job. Appare-ranman was disapoiting because I wanted "anime wacky race" and instead got "entitled asshole eventually drive stupid car". Also really liked Iroha and Shirobako, probably the best work they did. I generally liked eccentric family but found most character hard to relate and understand (main character constantly talk about how much his father dead affected him but he doesn't seem to care that everyone involved in the murder is walking free and will most likely kill again).
Didn't realize their staff situation was so scrambled. Though I'm seeing some directors that did multiple shows with them. I still respect the studio for doing more original shows than most other studios.

I definitely wanted Appare-Ranman to just be anime whacky races till the very end. I didn't like the whole weird villain plot thing they ended up with. But it was still alright all things considered, and especially compared to some of their crap like Fairy Gone and Charlotte. It could have been better, but it was fine anyway.

Iroha's definitely their strongest as far as cute girls slice of life goes.... too bad it was like 9 years ago. I was hoping Sakura Quest could be a second coming of it, but it came off as rather dull for most part. TariTari was kinda okay I guess.

It was hella melodramatic, but I really enjoyed NagiAsu.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So the Wonder Egg Priority special just dropped.

A 45 minute special with 25 minutes of recap and crunch so severe that, if you believe the internet, it hospitalized some people. Apparently, the leadership too two months off and then scrambled.

The general internet consensus fall into two basic camps: "What the hell was this garbage, it didn't resolve anything" and "If it's just sequel bait, then it might not be terrible if season 2 saves it".

I can't tell what's worse
So, apparently, all the gals almost immediately broke up and drifted apart, two of the four still massively depressed/suicidal. They got alternate reality versions of their friends back but their friends have literally no memories of them and won't be their friends anymore
The black gal who has scenes in the anime of bleeding and being in the hospital turns out to be a robot and goes missing along with the homicidal robot that was causing the suicides. Most of the "friend" group don't try and get her back. The kids are not okay.
We get an explanation of why Ai's friend committed suicide and it turns out she's just crazy and makes false rape accusations against teachers if they don't want to be in a relationship with her. She accidentally fell off the roof while trying to frame the creepy teacher. According to the creepy teacher, anyway. Bold choice when the rest of your show is about how abusive adults and uncaring society causes children to kill themselves. Main character gal is just "Seems Legit"
Super glad I didn't get invested when people were telling me how this was going to be the anime of the season. It's impressive how badly they fucked this show up.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wonder egg had a good run of 6 episodes or so but it went downhill from there and I had no hope it would stick the landing pass episode 8 or so. It's crazy to think that if you just removed 2-3 episodes the quality of the show would grow exponentially, they could have easily done that and kept things vague and wouldn't have had the problem with delaying episodes.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I miss watching Haikyuu. It was a great companion during my fitness journey and just a solid shounen/sports anime in general. I'll never understand why such an obviously beloved and profitable manga gets a season of anime after 4 years of a break. You'd think producers and studios would jump at the chance to release more as soon as possible.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I miss watching Haikyuu. It was a great companion during my fitness journey and just a solid shounen/sports anime in general. I'll never understand why such an obviously beloved and profitable manga gets a season of anime after 4 years of a break. You'd think producers and studios would jump at the chance to release more as soon as possible.
Dunno how familiar you are with anime in general but Haikyuu being such a big sucess means that pretty much every season you get 1-3 sport shonen show very inspired by Haikyuu, usually try to do almost the same things but just changing the sport and maybe one or two details.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dunno how familiar you are with anime in general but Haikyuu being such a big sucess means that pretty much every season you get 1-3 sport shonen show very inspired by Haikyuu, usually try to do almost the same things but just changing the sport and maybe one or two details.
Yeah I've seen them. Not really interested to be honest, on the sole reason that none of them have as good animation as Haikyuu. I'd also say that it makes sense that basketball and volleyball anime are the most popular sports anime, as the low number of players on the court and specific positions mixed with team play allow them to create really compelling characters and stories. So I have my doubts that say a football anime, my favorite sport, could be much good. No way all 11 players could get as much focus and development as the characters in Haikyuu.

OT: All the drama over FMAB being beaten by Fruits Basket is the silliest thing I have ever seen. Both the FMAB fanboys who are childishly review-bombing any challengers and the rest of the anime community who for some reason even cares about such an arbitrary thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
OT: All the drama over FMAB being beaten by Fruits Basket is the silliest thing I have ever seen. Both the FMAB fanboys who are childishly review-bombing any challengers and the rest of the anime community who for some reason even cares about such an arbitrary thing.
When did this happen? Not a Fruit Basket fan, but this sounds ridiculous if FMA psycho fans and the rest of the anime community at large are getting up and arms about it. Nothing lasts forever you jack asses. Let other anime have their spotlight; regardless if you like them or not.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
When did this happen? Not a Fruit Basket fan, but this sounds ridiculous if FMA psycho fans and the rest of the anime community at large are getting up and arms about it. Nothing lasts forever you jack asses. Let other anime have their spotlight; regardless if you like them or not.
Just last week I think. The Fruits Basket final season ended up being the highest rated show on some anime rating website and FMAB (the previous record holder) fans went nuts. Same thing happened with the latest Attack on Titan season I think.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just last week I think. The Fruits Basket final season ended up being the highest rated show on some anime rating website and FMAB (the previous record holder) fans went nuts. Same thing happened with the latest Attack on Titan season I think.
It's the IMDb website and forums all over again. When will people ever learn? Throwing a hissy fit and getting constantly angry ain't going to serve anything, but give the thing you hate even more attention now. It feeds into itself. This is why I never got too deep in the anime fandom. If it's something I don't like, rather than rage about it constantly, I find something better and move on or just ignore it entirely. With a few exceptions, but those usually have to be brought up to me first.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Finished Long Halloween Part 1. Kinda disappointing to be honest. Great new voice actors for all the characters, but it was just a boring movie. There were like 4 action scenes? And not one of them came close what we got in the previous new DCAU movies.

They relied a lot on the mystery/noir aspect, but the art style just doesn't suit it. It looks too manufactured. Not bad, but also not very artistic. No scenes where Batman's shadow reaches across the floor like a menacing demon, or when his silhouette is blacked out except for his eyes. I wish they had tried a little more.