The last time I go to the movies (at that theater)

theguitarhero6

Nov 21, 2009
As an usher, I know the feeling :\ When I do my regular round of check-ins on movies, I'm sorta obligated to be the asshole and, IMO, it kinda makes the situation worse 'cuz me approaching the d-bag and calling them out on it sorta makes it more annoying/distracting than it has to be. But something that really gets me is when people leave their theater, tell me of someone who's disturbing them, go sit back down in the movie and watch me tell the person off. All I'm thinking is "If you had the drive to seek me out to shut them up, wtf wouldn't you just tell 'em yourself??". I mean, if you don't wanna seem like the bad guy, I understand, but if anyone was paying any attention, they'll know exactly who sent my wrath unto them in the first place.

The moral of the story is, yes, this shit needs to end; it'd make my job easier and everyone's experience more pleasurable.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Sansha said:
imahobbit4062 said:
So, you're complaining that some fucker was being noisy in a movie and decided not to tell him to shut the fuck up because you thought you shouldn't have to? Granted you shouldn't have to, that still doesn't mean you can't tell him to shut the fuck up.
I honestly didn't want to elevate the situation because this guy looked like he'd either at best ignore me, or at worst get defensive.
Maybe I'm spending too much time on /fit/, but really? That's the most 'beta' thing I've read all day.

So what if he gets 'defensive' (wo)man up and tell him to shut the fuck up and if he's got a problem with it tell him you'll be happy to discuss it with him after.

I don't understand people. You know the part in Captain America where the weedy guy speaks up to the dude much bigger than him? You know how he's a likeable hero? There's a correlation.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Going to the theater can be fun, but I don't usually go if I'm worried about getting totally immersed in a film. I usually save it for seeing a comedy with my mates. In fact I had developed a policy about a year ago to just give up going to the theater for any other reason.

A policy that Prometheus is forcing me to break next month.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...Only ever had one bad movie experience... I was 13, at the premire of the second Matrix Movie (my father was accompanying me don't look so horrified). Assigned seating of course. Who sits in front of me? GIGA BOWSER IN HUMAN FORM. But seriously of all the places I swear the tickteer must have done this with a massive trollface on their stupid face.

...I spent most of the Movie on my knees so I could levy my head higher than this Behemoth in front of me... Uncomfortable and annoying. My Father was seated a ways away at this point since we arrived latish and booking seats together was impossible. And signaling to him in this room of people was impossible to ask him to switch and I have guilt complexes about letting other people suffer, but jesus christ...

Shit happens, I'm sorry.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Sansha said:
So why go to the theater if you're inevitably going to get assholes like this? I just won't bother anymore.
This really dose make me sad, don't stop going to the cinema, everyone knows that it is the best way to watch any film, yes the other people can be annoying sometimes but as long as you tell them to shut up it's the best way to view a film. I agree completely with krazykidd, if you had a problem you should have done something.
To each their own and all that but you got to admit that there is a certain magic about the cinema that no one should give up because of a few selfish twats. Ok enough of that love letter to film.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Firstly I love going to the cinema, there is something about hows it's socially acceptable to sit in the dark, do nothing and eat candy for 2hrs. But I always make sure that it's not going to be a packed cinema, I usually wait for the second or third week of a movie and go at an irregular time, when I was in university weekday mornings would be easiest, but now it's like monday-thursday or very earler or late on a saturday. I also make sure I know the cinema, what it's seats are like, if people sitting in front will or won't affect the vision, stuff like that.

And I will also return to see a movie again if I think it was worth it, I saw Inglourious Bastards, Thor and a few other movies twice.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Spot1990 said:
StBishop said:
Sansha said:
imahobbit4062 said:
So, you're complaining that some fucker was being noisy in a movie and decided not to tell him to shut the fuck up because you thought you shouldn't have to? Granted you shouldn't have to, that still doesn't mean you can't tell him to shut the fuck up.
I honestly didn't want to elevate the situation because this guy looked like he'd either at best ignore me, or at worst get defensive.
Maybe I'm spending too much time on /fit/, but really? That's the most 'beta' thing I've read all day.

So what if he gets 'defensive' (wo)man up and tell him to shut the fuck up and if he's got a problem with it tell him you'll be happy to discuss it with him after.

I don't understand people. You know the part in Captain America where the weedy guy speaks up to the dude much bigger than him? You know how he's a likeable hero? There's a correlation.
Y'know how how he gets the shit kicked out of him? There's also a correlation.
You know how this is in the 40's? There's
This would have gone on all day. I see what you're saying, but it's less likely to be "taken into the back alley" in this day and age.

Steve also refused to run. The antagonist in OP's story was fat. I assume OP can outrun him.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
But goddamn it if you fucking clap at the film that just crosses the line. Why would you clap? Seriously! They can't hear you. It's ironic as well when people clapped when the bad guy died at the end of Hunger Games. You're not supposed to clap! You're supposed to be disgusted by this t.v. show. It's like some kind of analogy. "It'd be like clapping when someone died in the Hunger Games." Did anyone watching the film get the message it was trying to get across?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I?ve often experienced this too, but I always open up negotiations with a direct assault of "Oi, shut the fuck up".

If I am forced to pay these ever increasing cinema prices to view films, then I will definitely make sure that I can enjoy it.

Apr 28, 2008
I feel this [http://theoatmeal.com/story/water_buffalo] is relevant to the situation.

You might make things worse, but if in doing so you get it through a disruptive asshole's thick skull that acting like that in a theater is not ok, hopefully improving future movie-going experiences for others, it is an acceptable and noble sacrifice.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
I feel for you OP, had The Dark Knight ruined for me by some asshole who wouldn't shut the hell up and wouldn't turn his stupid phone off.

To this day I wish I'd told him to shut the fuck up - because chances are your not the only person being pissed off by their douchebag behaviour. Now I just avoid going for a few weeks if I can help it so that the screen is nearly empty.

Nouw said:
Yup, some people don't seem to freaking understand that the people in the film aren't real (well the actors are but...). THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU, YOU DON'T NEED TO REACT TO WHAT THEY DO.

The only group more annoying are the parents who assume that 12A (don't know what it would be called in America) means you can take your 4 year old to go watch Terminator 3 (actually happened).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sansha said:
Tonight I went to a movie by myself. It happened to be Titanic 3D on the night of April 14th 2012.
When I got to my seat (tickets are assigned seating), I found a large gentleman and his girlfriend sitting next to me. I shrugged, sat down and started the movie.
Serious question: If you asked to be reseated, is it possible you would have? Like, say, complaining that you're next to rude people and don't wish to make a scene, you just want to enjoy your movie in peace?

Most places who offer assigned seating will accommodate a reasonable request. There, you don't even have to make a fuss.

If not, could you have simply moved? Were they running seating checks in the middle of the movie?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Why didn't you just move?

Was Titanic 3D really that packed that you couldn't move? Because fuck assigned seating.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
VonKlaw said:
The only group more annoying are the parents who assume that 12A (don't know what it would be called in America) means you can take your 4 year old to go watch Terminator 3 (actually happened).
T3 was MPAA certified as R (Restricted below the age of 17). I'm pretty sure the ratings systems are not entirely analogous, though.

Though you did remind me. Several of my friends, like 4-5 and me went to see A Knight's Tale in theaters way back. It was rated PG-13 (Caution to parents for children under the age of 13) and there was a warning of at least language and I think nudity.

So this woman brings her kid in, who is SIX at best, and gets really cross when the kid heard words like "shite" and sees a naked Paul Bettany stroll across the screen, baring his buttocks. And she was right in front of us, so she was annoying as hell.

Hey lady. Don't bring your kid. And if you do and are offended, LEAVE!

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
Try going to films a few weeks after they come out when they are only showing once or twice a week. There are far fewer people going at those times so it's easy to move seats.
In fact I once went to one of the last few showings of a film and had the entire room to just me and my dad. It was pretty awesome.

strangemoose

Aug 29, 2009
thanks to, netflix, on demand, and the internet i never have to go pay an insane amount of money to go sit next to a bunch of mouth breathing dumb asses who never stop talking or texting through out the entire movie

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I haven't been to the movies in a long time, its just not worth it anymore, the prices are more than 200% what they were a few years ago and you have to deal with assholes half the time. Not to mention they make you use planned seating even though the cinema is NEVER even close to full. Much better to watch it at home for a minimal price with people you invite rather than pay way too much for a lucky dip with a chance of getting assholes who will ruin the experience for you.