The last UMD game ever?*

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
(*to make this known now, I'm speaking in terms of Stateside releases. I know nothing on this subject in regards to Japan, Europe or any other regions)

So have you guys heard about this Sweet Fuse At Your Side game?

From what I gather, it's a dating sim/puzzle game (with character designs by Kumiko Suekane of Ace Attorney fame) where you play as Keiji Inafune's niece and...do stuff...I guess. I'm not too familiar on the specifics of it, but that's not really what I find so interesting.

For starters, just from what I've heard and seen, I'm surprised that this game even got localized, but what surprises me even more is that this game is NOT digital only. It's getting a physical UMD release.

August of 2013 and this game is getting a UMD release. In a time where it already feels like UMDs got left behind a long time ago.

My question is this. Is this the LAST UMD game? I've done some checking and I honestly can't find any others. I thought maybe like those cheaper games based off of kids movies or something would still be on the PSP and getting UMD releases (like how many are getting DS and 3DS releases) but from what I've seen that doesn't seem to be the case.

I even checked metacritic for upcoming PSP games and this is the only title on their coming soon list, physical, digital or otherwise.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/coming-soon/psp/date?view=detailed

Sooo...yeah. Is Sweet Fuse At Your Side the LAST UMD game ever?

Am I weird for finding that to be a very interesting concept. The last game of a console. We as fans often remember launch titles, but how often do we really look into the final games?

What do you all think?

Oh and...Yeah, I totally pre-ordered it.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I always thought the UMDs were a bit clunky and delicate when I was using my PSP even though I never had a problem with scratches or disk reading. These days I absolutely love my Vita and the little tiny chips that the games come on.

I have a weird fascination with small things, like that guy on Harvey Birdman.

Sep 9, 2007
TheRaider said:
whats a umd?
Universal Media Disc, the physical media used in the Playstation Portable.

OT: TBH, I never really paid too much attention to UMDs, so I'm somewhat surprised that game(s) are still being made for the PSP with physical media in mind. I own one game on UMD and I'm constantly worried that the damn thing is going to break on me, as they aren't the sturdiest looking pieces of physical media going around.

As for the last UMD game? It certainly looks like it will be one of the last, but who knows, someone might be working on a longterm project, like that one game for the Atari 2600 (I think?) that was released waaaaay after the console was officially done with.