The Latest in FGC Toxicity: Max’s Tournament Gets Postponed

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So I wanted to look up some matches from Maximilian Dood’s MKX Twitch Rivals tournament that BrawlMan alerted me to a few days back and saw that Sonic Fox had posted their first matches -

They handled a projectile spammer in true Fox fashion. Then I read in the comments about someone DDOS’ing the servers because they didn’t like the outcome of some of their favorites, ultimately resulting in the tournament being postponed.

It’s like all I can think is WTF is wrong with these people? This is why the gaming community gets a bad rep and furthermore it only reinforces the problems with online competitive gaming in general. This simply wouldn’t have happened in a local setting but of course that couldn’t happen with our world still a bit of a mess.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thank you for the news.

This fucking sucks. It's pretty clear that the assholes doing this have nothing better to do with their lives. They just want to piss people off. People are just trying to have fun and get their lives back together, if you want to be miserable go somewhere else! It's sad, boring, and pathetic.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Wow that's horrific, I'm proud to not be part of the MK fgc. To me these games seem alien and apparently so is their community lmao.

The way we do things over at the anime FGC is make tier lists based on results and then challenge people to first to 10s.

If you want some uplifting news, recently there was a 25 vs 25 Japan vs America tournament, where thanks to the rollback netcode in guilty gear accent core +R played very smoothly, it went down to the wire too, here's the stream if you wanna see real FGC in action.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What is it about strictly PVP games that breed the worst people in gaming?

FGC, Dota, LoL, CS:GO, the vast majority of games with solely PVP style modes always seem to have terrible communities.

Now that isn't to see that there aren't stand up members of all of these gaming communities. But reputation tends to drive perception and it's that perception I personally see as a outsider that these sections of the gaming population are fucking awful.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

FGC, Dota, LoL, CS:GO, the vast majority of games with solely PVP style modes always seem to have terrible communities.

Now that isn't to see that there aren't stand up members of all of these gaming communities. But reputation tends to drive perception and it's that perception I personally see as a outsider that these sections of the gaming population are fucking awful.

That's just like with other sorts of news, negative stuff gets way more publicity cause it's more sensational but if you're inside the community yourself then you realize those are rare exceptions.

Reactions: bobdark

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Wow that's horrific, I'm proud to not be part of the MK fgc. To me these games seem alien and apparently so is their community lmao.

The way we do things over at the anime FGC is make tier lists based on results and then challenge people to first to 10s.

If you want some uplifting news, recently there was a 25 vs 25 Japan vs America tournament, where thanks to the rollback netcode in guilty gear accent core +R played very smoothly, it went down to the wire too, here's the stream if you wanna see real FGC in action.

The players themselves aren’t the problem, it’s an idiotic section of the fanbase, much like the gaming community at-large if we look at other examples of demands and threats on developers, etc.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The players themselves aren’t the problem, it’s an idiotic section of the fanbase, much like the gaming community at-large if we look at other examples of demands and threats on developers, etc.
I guess that's one of the good things of being niche then haha. Smaller amount of twitch monsters so less of a chance of running into some crazy dude. But if so I definitely don't count those people as part of the FGC as is in the title, hence my confusion. You do have to actually play the game, not just watch it on twitch, otherwise everyone who watches basketball on tv and then goes on to beat his wife is something that would the basketball community lol. But we don't think like that in that case cause it's obviously illogical and I'd say the same thing applies to twitch monsters.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Because competition gets peoples blood up. Happens in professional sport, amateur sport and even hobbies that aren’t themselves a sport. Why should video games be any different?