Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
C&D in 3...2...1...

At least the Chono-Trigger fan game was 98%-ish complete when they revealed it and the C&D letter went out. If you're gonna do something like this, wait till it's pretty much done before painting a target on your head.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Well it looks nice, but I'm almost 100% positive that either they are going to realize that their ambition is greater than their ability and give up like many mod/game attempts, or simply get C&D-ed because this is Nintendo and Nintendo is the worst.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
StewShearer said:
It only makes sense them that some of those same players would launch an effort to transform the famous game into a 2D throwback.
typo

StewShearer said:
It was a landmark moment for video games that left players so enamored that many would claim that it still hasn't been surpassed today. It only makes sense them that some of those same players would launch an effort to transform the famous game into a 2D throwback.
That is one hell of a leap in logic. It hasn't been surpassed... so OBVIOUSLY someone had to downgrade it.

How is that even a connection?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
teh_Canape said:
maybe now Arin will stop bitching about it
He would still find some things to complain about. XD

OT: It's a neat idea, but it's been attempted so many times and subsequently shut down. I don't see this one ending up any better.

Personally, I would love to see someone tackle making a 3D version of a 2D Zelda game. Hopefully Nintendo will try that eventually.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hero of Lime said:

OT: It's a neat idea, but it's been attempted so many times and subsequently shut down. I don't see this one ending up any better.

Personally, I would love to see someone tackle making a 3D version of a 2D Zelda game. Hopefully Nintendo will try that eventually.
I say do it for the first one. I'm surprise the first game hasn't received some sort of remake or graphical update like how games in the Mario Allstars did. I say do it for the first game primarily though because the first Zelda has aged horribly. Clunky controls are one of the biggest problems with it, since you can't go in 8 directions in the first Zelda game.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Neronium said:
Hero of Lime said:

I say do it for the first one. I'm surprise the first game hasn't received some sort of remake or graphical update like how games in the Mario Allstars did. I say do it for the first game primarily though because the first Zelda has aged horribly. Clunky controls are one of the biggest problems with it, since you can't go in 8 directions in the first Zelda game.
Yes! I've always wanted that. Although, I feel like Zelda 1 has aged better than other NES games. It's limiting, but manageable, and still fun to pick up and play. Particularly if you treat it as a handheld game. At least that's how I do it now since I have it on 3DS.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Hehe... I like how so many people are focusing on the Cease and Desist order thing, because at work I found a rather interesting thing. You see, I work at a costume supply warehouse, so I get to see a lot of Halloween costumes that sometimes never even get to the stores. Nintendo has been officially licensing a few character costumes, but there are interesting omissions to their roster. those omissions are very often filled by things like this:

Looks pretty close, right? well here's the page it's sold on:

http://www.buycostumes.com/p/803820/elf-warrior-adult-costume

"Elf warrior". Not an officially licensed product, but copyright-infringingly close to the real deal. But that might get a pass though since Nintendo hasn't done a Legend of Zelda costume line yet. However, they have done a Mario one, yet this somehow exists:

http://www.buycostumes.com/p/806481/green-adult-yoshimoto-dragon-costume

Sure, they may mention Yoshi and the Mario bros in the description, but that costume's still not official, and Nintendo hasn't sent a cease & desist order yet. Maybe it's because they're doing knockoffs of everyone?

http://www.buycostumes.com/p/806482/tomb-fighter-womens-costume

"Tomb Fighter". Same line, still knockoff.

I guess where I'm going with this is that there are some holes in their copyright-enforcement apparatus, so who knows. Maybe this one will survive. At least to the point where it's half-finished and barely functioning,and eventually fades away into obscurity before someone else tries to do it again in a decade anyway XD

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
It's very impressive that they've already made a playable build and gotten all of the most iconic features of the game built already.

And now we wait for the cease-and-desist, have a minor outcry against Nintendo, and never bring this up again. Like always. Or Nintendo doesn't do anything stupid, or this goes under their radar.

Either way, I'll probably follow this project closely.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
didn't somebody already make an 8-bit version of this game before? Either way, I would play this anyway. Also, has anyone ever noticed there's a tree trunk inside of Link's House which in itself is also a tree trunk...

EDIT: here's the 8 bit version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LylWu4z1sw

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I really hope Nintendo isn't going to protest and shut it down like the last time someone tried something like this... It's not like they're charging money to play it!