The "let's be pessimistic about humanity!" thread

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Do we have to?

We just got out of the 'lost faith in humanity' phase.

*sigh*

Fiiiiiiiiiine.
Can we change it to "let's be optimistic about humanity"?
These forums are so negative.
"Movies you hate"
"Music you hate"
"People you hate"

Sunshine and lollipops, people.
I like this idea better.

We all know that life can such harder than a Dyson, let's talk about the better things in life.

You guys see that new Dyson? Man, that thing can sure suck hard, it's amazing!
I like the sunshine and lollipops idea better too, Daystar. But we've been in short supply of both since Aylaine left, remember?

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
I just played a few multiplayer death match sessions in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. You want to get me pessimistic, than give me one hour with those insufferable meatheads that don't know how to play. If I see one more match with the bottom 3 players having zero or one kill at the end, than I will break my keyboard in half with my forehead.

Also my niece's husband got killed because a freaking truck hit him (and just drove on after the accident), my niece was also a few weeks away from giving birth to their son, who is now born, but is without a daddy.

The guy driving the truck denied it all, saying he never even noticed it or he would have stopped. They found the husband's DNA all over the left front side of his truck. They better not ever show a photo of this truckdriver to me, or we will have a manhunt on our hands.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Do we have to?

*sigh*

Fiiiiiiiiiine.
Can we change it to "let's be optimistic about humanity"?
These forums are so negative.
"Movies you hate"
"Music you hate"
"People you hate"

Sunshine and lollipops, people.
Yeah, we get a new 'X you hate' thread three or four times a week, it's pretty tiring, really.

I don't really pay enough attention to the news to have a legitimate 'optimistic' or 'pessimistic' opinion about humanity, though. So I'll pick a few lame ones that nobody cares about!

Good: Dark Souls was released for the PC (regardless of the quality of the port or how competent the developers were).

Bad: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron has such a terrible ending that I finally realized just how angry all of the Mass Effect 3 people felt. Seriously, fuck Activision. EDIT: Because even after the relative 'meh' quality of the ending of War for Cybertron, the only thing that could convince me of High Moon doing an ending that bad is interference from Activision.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Do we have to?

How about some meta-pessimism instead?

All these people losing faith in humanity has made me lose my faith in humanity!

(not really)

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I drive a shitty car that literally stabs me in the back. One of my best friends had his entire college fund stolen from him by his deadbeat dad and his dad's girlfriend. You can't go one minute watching the news without the thought "The end is near" popping up in your head just once. My Job is shitty, and non-shitty jobs are in short supply around here. Furthermore, people with non-shitty jobs love to stick it in our faces.

The world of video games isn't doing too well either. Games like Call of Duty are churned out by the dozens, while smarter counterparts like Spec-ops: the line are barely even getting made. Games like Duke Nukem Forever are selling better than Max Payne 3, and I don't think I even need to tell you which is the better one. Important games in the triple-A world are getting shoved to the side in favor of unintelligent drivel.

Faith in humanity: damn near depleted.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
I've never had any faith in humanity! We are all idiots in our own way, and our societies hardly learn from anything! We are conceived shrouded in ignorance, and we live our whole lives barely piercing that shroud. We will all die barely knowing a fraction of what there is to know. That's the way humans are, and that's the way we'll always be.

But on the flip side, my life is still awesome! I'm healthy, I'm well educated, I drive a sweet car, I have access to technology that would blow the minds of anybody who ever lived before now, and I have some cookies that my grandmother (I'm surprised she's still going strong at her age) baked sitting on the counter in the kitchen. Life is good!

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
This thread is completly stupid. They mugged somone at 1PM because everyones at work or at lunch so it's actually less people than at night. Also muggers aren't vampires, they are humans too so it's more comfortable for them during the day. It's almost a non-event in the grand scheme of things. If you lose faith in humanity because somone got mugged, wait till you hear about some of the really real shit that's out there. You can't live your life generlizing humanity as digusting or stupid or careless just because not everyone is an upstanding fucking citizen.

get real yo

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I don't need your permission to whine about humanity! You're not the boss of me!

Also, fuck sunshine and lollipops; that's a movement as annoying as anything else. We'd be a lot better off if we went with "go with what you were going to say in the first place, but try not to be an asshole about it" over any amount of forced pessimism or forced optimism.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I would post makes me mad, but I'm trying my hardest to learn to not get mad, since being mad rarely helps anyone. So instead I will say that it makes me happy right now. I just moved my furniture around the other day and now my chair is not uncomfortably squished behind my desk and I have significantly more tabletop space to put stuff. Horay!

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
--
I like this idea better.

We all know that life can such harder than a Dyson, let's talk about the better things in life.

You guys see that new Dyson? Man, that thing can sure suck hard, it's amazing!
My vacuum cleaner blows and my leaf blower sucks. Wait... I see the problem here.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Why the fuck do people smoke? It just harms them and all they're doing is sucking up poison. They get so addicted that they try to stop and they fail cause they're absolute fucking slobs with no self control or discipline. They don't realize in their old age they'll just be hooked up to a fucking oxygen tank gasping for air every step they take. On their deathbed (most likely dying of cancer) they'll look back and realize what a mistake they made but OH WELL TOO BAD DIPSHIT....

Now that that's off my chest. Gonna go outside for a smoke brb

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Americans that are against Social Health care make me lose faith in the world. I really don't think its right that a family should ever have to choose between caring for a loved one or keeping their home. As a Canadian it just baffles me that there are people with a mindset that their taxes shouldn't pay for their neighbors illness because they never get sick themselves.

The idea of 40 year old women swooning over teen pop idols also makes me wish that just once an apocalyptic prediction would be right.

The fact that I can't call someone a Nazi or the like when they openly state that homosexuals are the "downfall of American morality" and that they shouldn't be allowed to marry and that people should have the right to not employ them. Those same people hide behind "freedom of speech" when I call them out for being bigoted hate mongers.

Also OP, robbers don't need to be armed to seriously hurt or kill someone, that is why I don't travel with anything I'm not willing to give up and replace later. Hell take my wallet I don't have any cash and I'll just report my credit card and debit card as stolen. Now if someone were to invade my home or threaten my fiance that is when I have to fight.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my local police seriously dropped the ball on my sister's sexual assault case. First the officer didn't really do much to investigate the case at all, and then went on some sort of vacation without saying anything to her. And then when he was back he and his supervisor said it was too late now to continue the investigation. Meanwhile it isn't the guys first offense against a minor AND he has now been able to move to the complete other side of the country and live freely.

So yeah if this dirtball were to rid itself of humanity and myself included I would greet that end with a smile.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I despise misanthropy more than any mind set to be frank with you. The irony of that isnt lost on me either :p. So no. Im not going to say ive lost faith in humanity. Instead i give you this:

And this:

Have a great day.

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
I just finished Spec Ops: the Line about 10 minutes ago. so I'm kind of feeling cynical and defeatist.