The Litigation Hammer

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Well I just withdrew all my stock from Activison, their bullshit got too much for me to take. My shares were a drop in the bucket for them (only about 10 grand), sure, but it's something.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
z3rostr1fe said:
SimLawsuit... Interesting...

*Creates design document*
Yeah, pretty sure someone needs to make that game right now. I'll buy ten.

Yvl9921 said:
Well I just withdrew all my stock from Activison, their bullshit got too much for me to take. My shares were a drop in the bucket for them (only about 10 grand), sure, but it's something.
hey, if a hundred people do that, suddenly it shows in the figures a bit more prominently. If I had shares with them I'd do the same.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hmm, Im getting an idea, you could make an rts out of having to build an army of lawers and take entrenched companies to court with all your legal might in epic conflicts over the meaning of words and lasers, probably only get funding as a flash game tho... I wonder if newgrounds would be interested

lol all the units would be based on real legal jobs and such, the way you "defeat" a judge can be either using your backroom deal tanks or having your elite attorney unit use his epic argument skill

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Worgen said:
hmm, Im getting an idea, you could make an rts out of having to build an army of lawers and take entrenched companies to court with all your legal might in epic conflicts over the meaning of words and lasers, probably only get funding as a flash game tho... I wonder if newgrounds would be interested

lol all the units would be based on real legal jobs and such, the way you "defeat" a judge can be either using your backroom deal tanks or having your elite attorney unit use his epic argument skill
It's not the Judge that is being defeated... It's the... Accused? Since you are the one firing up the Lawsuits?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
People wonder why I also harp on big name publishers ad-nauseum.
It's because they haven't seen the travesty of what is mockingly called "legal justice" doled out today. I feel fortunate enough to have only witnessed such things rather than being the victim here. It was enough to forever drive me away from becoming a profession game developer though; it's a pity that corporate greed takes priority over any form of artistic initiative.

Shamus Young speaks the truth about the .com blitz, but I learned my lessons from 1990s-era-Microsoft; who used these "Business torpedo" tactics daily against a multitude of small software companies who otherwise had nothing to do with Microsoft or their business.
If the prime directive for our market is supposed to be "Innovation through competition", then it is sadly missing today.

That all been said, this is just Activision flexing its corporate muscle, and you can bet every single other publisher in the business will too in the near future.

Given enough time, people with power will inevitably abuse it; whether that power be finances, material goods, political favor, or public support.
The best we can do whilst we remain "civilized" is try to mitigate the problem and not let any entity grow too powerful.

For that purpose, I implore that if anyone reading this has any sense of ethics or reasoning, make the smart decision and just don't do business with these jokers. Period.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Mortech said:
Am I a horrible person for laughing uncontrollably at the "OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE PLEASE SOMEONE PUT ME OUT" part?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, but it was pretty damn funny.
Actually, the correct answer is "no, because it was really damn funny and not really in bad taste at all".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Between this and the other mishaps, stupid moves and general "hate" (in the playa' sense, maybe a pun intended) towards gamers, Activision may end up tearing itself apart and go the way of Midway (*sniff*) and other game companies.
That at least would be a "happy" ending, not the asian massage style either.
For a company that makes games, I don't think they understand gamers, that a good portion are intelligent, educated and also have a way of keeping up on the goings-on of game companies. We read forums, state vehement opinions, and do take offense to companies who try to pull the wool over our eyes.
We see, hear and have opinions about just about everything so it would behoove game companies to act accordingly and take the "walk on eggshells" approach lest they lose a good chunk of their "loyal" (read: fickle) customers.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Aw Come on ... I don't NEED another reason to hate Activision.

Shamus Young" post="6.224015.7559251 said:
The only thing that really restrains companies from acting like this is a sense of shame and the threat of public outcry.
And after this I can only picture Bobby Kotick sitting in his office, an evil smirk lining his face.

Bruden

Oct 26, 2009
Just look on the Bright side, Activision is now partnered with Blizzard, which means in a decades time Blizzard will have expunged the cancer, probably merged with someone else, and Activision will be a vague name gamers used to whisper, just like what happened with Vivendi.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
Am I a bad person for wanting Avtivision to go out of business(yeah right, like that'd ever happen), or that the whole board at Activision-Blizzard died?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I would buy SimLawsuit, sounds like fun. Wait, now we know why Activision does it.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I seem to be the only one of my friends who care if activision is evil as hell, they just want to play call of duty. I sorta feel bad that bungee is now working with them, they should have seen what happened with IW and gone somewhere else.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
The problem with boycotting Activision products, is that it would more likely negatively affect the developers than Activision itself.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
z3rostr1fe said:
Worgen said:

It's not the Judge that is being defeated... It's the... Accused? Since you are the one firing up the Lawsuits?
nah both sides would have to be trying to take on the judge, or the arbitration council (judge for single objective maps, council for capture the flag)

Mistwraithe

Mar 23, 2008
As an outsider (I live in New Zealand) it seems the US legal system has grown from an intended way for anyone to gain justice and punish wrong doing, into a massively bloated and feared monster which is effectively a rather large tax on your entire country, in the form of all the lawyers and litigation insurance which are supported by it.

Something is often needed but a more pragmatic approach would help...

Apr 28, 2008
Bungie, please try not to let Activision destroy you. The way you talked about it made it seem your in control of everything, Activision just publishes, nothing else. I really hope this is true. I would hate to see such a great developer full of awesome people with awesome beards go under in this way.