The Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Now Has a Trailer

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Now Has a Trailer

<youtube=hxeR9Nu0nQs>

In case you forgot it was happening, there's now a trailer for the live-action Ghost in the Shell.

The internet as a collective has already decided to hate the upcoming live-action Ghost in the Shell, so now it's on the studio to try to turn that sentiment around. That starts now, with the first trailer for the upcoming film seeing its first light.

The trailer doesn't give a whole lot of information regarding the plot. It opens up more questions than it answers, but that makes sense: it wants you to see the movie in order to get those answers, after all. We do know that it stars Scarlett Johansson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/scarlett+johansson] as The Major. She fights crime, is a cyborg, and doesn't have all the answers to her past.

Ghost in the Shell will be released on March 31, 2017, and was directed by Snow White and the Huntsman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/rupert+sanders][/i].

Has this trailer changed your mind at all?

[gallery=6617]

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
I don't care what the "collective" thinks. I am interested in this Cyberpunk movie.

What i find irritating is, that they went with the GitS 1 naked cyborg idea for the Major.
In Stand Alone compex, they tuned that aspect down and in Season 2, it was gone for good. That's not what i watch something like this for anyways.

Also this Batou seemed odd to me.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
D3s_ToD3s said:
I don't care what the "collective" thinks. I am interested in this Cyberpunk movie.

What i find irritating is, that they went with the GitS 1 naked cyborg idea for the Major.
In Stand Alone compex, they tuned that aspect down and in Season 2, it was gone for good. That's not what i watch something like this for anyways.

Also this Batou seemed odd to me.
She is not naked in those scenes in GitS1...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
D3s_ToD3s said:
Oddly enough I have less of a problem with naked Major than I do with leotard-wearing Major. Also, in the original animated movie the nudity was there to accentuate the artificiality.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oh dear...I should stop saying that...
I don't think I ever had hope for this film. They essentially copying all the good sequences out of the original while cramming their crappy story. Fuck you!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
It looks about as good as you'd expect. Meaning is looks absolutely dreadful and will more than likely bomb. Also we as a country need to come together and just admit Scarlet really shouldn't talk anymore. Its just not something she's good at, and its dragging the entire country down.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
It looks about as good as you'd expect. Meaning is looks absolutely dreadful and will more than likely bomb. Also we as a country need to come together and just admit Scarlet really shouldn't talk anymore. Its just not something she's good at, and its dragging the entire country down.
Also:

Ugh it looks so gaudy seeing was something like that translated to Live Action.

Oct 22, 2011
It looks decent, better than expected, but i still have problem with buying ScarJo as the Major.
And no, it's not a 'whitewashing' thing.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Would have been better if they'd used the Laughing Man arch from Stand Alone Complex than the original Puppeteer arch.

MrCalavera said:
It looks decent, better than expected, but i still have problem with buying ScarJo as the Major.
And no, it's not a 'whitewashing' thing.
It is her face. Major had a stern, nearly emotionless face. Scarlet Johanson can't seem to pull it off right. At least, not throughout the entire movie. Sharper face lines that signify an empty shell, pondering whether a soul really exists within. That is the essence of Ghost in the Shell.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Is it using the Puppeteer ark? If so can't wait to see the Major vs the tank battle that pops up at the end... also wasn't the original movie like 50 or something minutes long. I guess that's what the mysterious past stuff is about, a little bit of padding to the length the movie to a decent run time.

Mind you I'll be really pissed if these guys don;t show up in some form or another during the movie

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Looks decent enough. I don't really hold the original as some kind of pinnacle of entertainment like a lot of people though, so maybe that's why I don't mind how this looks. The only real issue I'm having is with Scarlett Johansson's acting. It just sounds off. Maybe that's the point, but I don't remember finding the VA in the original annoying. Maybe it's just a trailer thing.

Overall, I'm more intrigued than I originally was and cautiously optimistic.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm so use to Stand Alone Complex & I don't really remember the plot of the original movie despite seeing it a couple of times.

What they show in this trailer looks more bland than Lightning from Final Fantasy.

I'll probably ignore this once I find out it isn't Rated R.
Laughing Man said:
Mind you I'll be really pissed if these guys don;t show up in some form or another during the movie

Guys?.... I thought they were female.... Well, I thought they sounded female in the dub....

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Laughing Man said:
Is it using the Puppeteer ark? If so can't wait to see the Major vs the tank battle that pops up at the end... also wasn't the original movie like 50 or something minutes long. I guess that's what the mysterious past stuff is about, a little bit of padding to the length the movie to a decent run time.

It's a Kuze/Laughing Man hybrid.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Guys?.... I thought they were female.... Well, I thought they sounded female in the dub....
Um well yeah I suppose they had female voices but I wouldn't call them female I just called them guys because generic group of folk = guys. Like hey guys

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Well, I didn't have an opinion yet... But now that I saw this I deeply fear for the end result. :(

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I can spot one or two background reference to the anime but it still look too bright and empty looking to the source material.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Horrible shit.
Basically they adopted the aesthetics to some degree then proceeded to rape everything else.
Kusanagis past has no influence on the story of GitS. None at all. It is highly irrelevant.
Even in GitS:SAC its only really in one episode despite having some degree of relevance to the plot and that?s an alternate universe.
Here they make it out to be some sort of conspiracies. The first of its kind. Nonsense. Cyborgs like Kusanagi are highly common.
Here they probably pick up some BS from DeusEx: Human Revolution and then blend it with GitS:SAC.
This will be a movie alright, a shitty one and certainly no real live adaptation of the original GitS feature movie.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Laughing Man said:
Is it using the Puppeteer ark? If so can't wait to see the Major vs the tank battle that pops up at the end... also wasn't the original movie like 50 or something minutes long.
83, but I guess with this being a big budget Hollywood affair anything less than 120 is entirely unacceptable.

I can't help but think that this is going to be a related to GITS in it's aesthetics and stealing some of the action sequences, but very little else. The implied plot in the trailer doesn't seem to relate to the movies, Stand Alone Complex or the comics.

I also doubt the Spider Tank and it's limb popping turn against the major will survive unless this thing's a 15, which makes me sad.

Although I loved the Depeche Mode remix, to Youtube!

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
Great, looks just like another garbage westernised reboot that's been butchered at the core and made into a cliche bunch of action scenes.

2 slow-mo shootouts in that trailer? If I remember correctly, there weren't any slow-mo gunfights in any GiTS movies/series cause it was all fast paced as it should be.

Not gunna hold my breath for this one, it looks like it'll be damn awful.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think it looks interesting. But since I refuse to be part of the hype machine (positive or otherwise) I will wait for reviews of the movie from trusted sources before I decide to see it or not.