The Long War 2 Mod is Now Available for XCOM 2

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Long War 2 Mod is Now Available for XCOM 2

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1375/1375846.jpgThe Long War 2 mod is now available on Steam Workshop, bringing new mission types and more.

Long War was one of the most popular XCOM: Enemy Unknown mods, and now it's got a sequel available for XCOM 2. The team at Pavonis Interactive has already shown off a new class of weapons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169229-Coilguns-Coming-to-XCOM-2-in-Long-War-2-Mod], and now they're detailing the new types of missions the mod adds to the base game.

Long War 2 features eight new "tactical mission scenarios" to the game. They are:

Jailbreak: XCOM must infiltrate an ADVENT jail and rescue key Resistance members. Success increases the strength of the Resistance in that region.
Haven Defense: A variation on Retaliation missions where XCOM must defend Resistance members against an onslaught of ADVENT forces until the Skyranger can get into position for extraction.
ADVENT Base Assault: XCOM must deploy to and overtake a well-defended regional military headquarters.
Invasion: ADVENT attempts to retake a liberated region by assaulting a city center. XCOM must destroy a psionic relay that summons continuous reinforcements, then eliminate any remaining forces.
Rendezvous: A Faceless disguised as a member of the Resistance is detected as it goes to meet with its ADVENT handlers and XCOM must hunt it down.
ADVENT Supply Raid: XCOM must defend a supply convoy and its Resistance personnel from ADVENT attacks.
ADVENT Intel Raid: ADVENT attacks a Resistance listening post and XCOM must repel the attack.
ADVENT Recruiting Raid: ADVENT forces attack Resistance recruiters within a region. XCOM must extract those Resistance members.

These missions support the revised strategy layer [https://xcom.com/news/xcom-2-long-war-2-mod-brings-big-changes-to-the-strategy-layer-on-pc] in the mod, which puts you in charge of the Resistance in every region you've contacted. You'll direct the efforts of the rebels, deploy advisers, and gather intelligence. All of those efforts will be needed to combat the enemy's new strategic AI. The new missions will also bring along new abilities, including the option to spawn unlimited reinforcements in certain missions.

Another interesting change is that your soldiers will now have to wait for the Skyranger to arrive and extract them from mission sites, lengthening their exposure to danger. To make things even more challenging, the announcement [https://xcom.com/news/xcom-2-long-war-2-mod-adds-new-missions-on-pc] says that "ADVENT reinforcements have become more dangerous overall."

It sounds like Long War 2 is going to be exactly what we'd expect, based on its predecessor. Hope you're ready to be challenged, Commander. You can learn more about the mod in the Q&A posted with Pavonis Interactive over on the XCOM 2 site [https://xcom.com/news/xcom-2-pavonis-interactive-qa-on-long-war-2].

You can download and install Long War 2 for free on the Steam Workshop [https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/workshop/].

[gallery=6822]

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Wish I could play it, but I don't really want to spend 300 days worth of real-time just to get past the first story mission. To those people that do, I salute you.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Borty The Bort said:
Wish I could play it, but I don't really want to spend 300 days worth of game-time just to get past the first story mission. To those people that do, I salute you.
Neither do I - or want to deal with all the highly questionable balance changes.
Honestly, if I could get JUST the additional mission types, I would be happy already. But that's, as far as I know, not an option.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
"Thank you, thank you, and for my next trick I'll make several hundred hours of my life disappear."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Spits all over the wall* ALREADY!? Jesus, when the announced it I thought they meant "We're working on it, expect it in a few months." Well, time to see how much of a masochist I really am.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
That moment when theres advent soldiers who automatically overwatches and theres two more who can and will chuck flash bangs your way on gatecrasher and this is just veteran mode.

I havent even started the main game but I see this is going to be a fun mod. :p

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Bindal said:
Borty The Bort said:
Wish I could play it, but I don't really want to spend 300 days worth of game-time just to get past the first story mission. To those people that do, I salute you.
Neither do I - or want to deal with all the highly questionable balance changes.
Honestly, if I could get JUST the additional mission types, I would be happy already. But that's, as far as I know, not an option.
It's not so bad. I managed to complete the 1st two missions in about 45 minutes. I also like to jump in willy-nilly and learn on my own, so I didn't spend much time reading the additional entries in the Commander's Quarters.

It's best to think of LW2 as it's own game, separate from X2. If you're concerned about the balance changes, that's why. It's because they need to balance an entirely new system we've yet to see in a modern XCOM. Keep your eyes open though, you may see the new mission types pop up in the next few months.

Or, give it a try, as it's nowhere near as masochistic as LW was for EW.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
BeerTent said:
Bindal said:
Borty The Bort said:
It's not so bad. I managed to complete the 1st two missions in about 45 minutes. I also like to jump in willy-nilly and learn on my own, so I didn't spend much time reading the additional entries in the Commander's Quarters.

It's best to think of LW2 as it's own game, separate from X2. If you're concerned about the balance changes, that's why. It's because they need to balance an entirely new system we've yet to see in a modern XCOM. Keep your eyes open though, you may see the new mission types pop up in the next few months.

It still goes into the exact opposite direction I want my game to be - and without the mod, I sure as hell can't get these new mission types which I want in the base game.
As you said yourself 45 minutes for the first mission. In 45 minutes, I want to have done far more than the intro, thank you very much.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Bindal said:
BeerTent said:
Bindal said:
Borty The Bort said:

It still goes into the exact opposite direction I want my game to be - and without the mod, I sure as hell can't get these new mission types which I want in the base game.
As you said yourself 45 minutes for the first mission. In 45 minutes, I want to have done far more than the intro, thank you very much.
45 minutes for two missions, not one.

If you want a shorter game, then I don't think you want missions designed for squads between 8-10 solders. Either way, Give it time. The modding community is still new. In a few months, or likely less, you'll probably get your wish once all of the connections to the strategic layer is lopped out of the missions.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I'm always impressed with the Long War mods, yet ironically I never have the time to play them. I take long enough to finish XCom normally as-is, and I struggle keeping 4 idiots alive anyway, let alone 8+ of 'em. Will probably check it out at some point though, if I ever have a weekend I feel like blowing away.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Keen to give this a go, though word on the street is it's a bit of a framerate killer. Hopefully they get that patched soon.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Oh my fucking god yes. I only just heard they were doing this a coupe of days a ago. I thought it was a while away yet.