The Lost Lottery and Why We Want TV To Be Real

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010

Those numbers are even more significant than we thought.

Read Full Article

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Over 9000 people played the numbers from Lost".

It's like an internet geek's dream...

Nov 5, 2007
While I don't make a point to watch Glee, I do wish my life had a hell of a lot more musical numbers than it does now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKfZ0mGLaY&feature=player_embedded

Maybe one day Elizabeth, maybe one day.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

Those numbers are even more significant than we thought.

Read Full Article
In our entertainment, we often see idealized versions of ourselves and our worlds. The TV has rules about love and hard work and fairness and justice, and everything ends up working out for the main character... and, obviously, the "main character" is ourselves, in some way.

If you're funny, people will love you, regardless of appearance, income, or social standing. If you're good, you wishes will eventually come true. If someone is mean to you, they'll get theirs. You don't have to buy groceries or do laundry or work regular hours--you life is basically constructed entirely of the highlights of a fantastic life.

Who wouldn't want that? That's what "escapism" is, after all. You want to escape this world, even just for a bit. It's not that this one is necessarily so horrible to you, but there's one better... and now that you're old enough to know you can't go there, you turn to wishing that world could come here.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
next time it gets that high I'll buy 4 easy picks and play these numbers in the last one.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

The screwball comedy Arrested Development revisited the same topics and jokes again and again, twisting the reference each time to give it a freshly hilarious meaning. It may not be as funny to live that as to watch it, but I would love the opportunity to find out first hand.
Thank god, I think all those incest jokes would be really uncomfortable in real life. That show is hard to watch with your opposite gender cousin, btw.

P.S., someone else who appreciates Studio 60? <333 I'll watch anything with Matthew Broderick in it now.

JaketheRake

May 14, 2009
I just want it to be pointed out that if the Lost numbers ever do hit minus the bonus ball that the Lottery would be totally screwed. If the bonus ball hits then the jackpot would be split by 9,000 people. That means this last lottery would make a jackpot of $31,000 for each player. That would be depressing to win that as a jackpot as the second largest ever jackpot in lotto history. But what if the power ball did not match but the other 5 numbers did? Then 9000 people are guaranteed $250,000. The lottery commission would would be on the hook for $2.25 billion. And that is assuming none of these tickets were purchased with the megaplier option. Sure at 3-4 million : 1 the lotto commission would take that risk. But it could happen.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
One of the many reasons you never play pop culture or other obvious numbers on a lottery: If you do, and they win, you will most likely be splitting your prize with thousands of people.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I've been seriously wanting for a show that I can get lost in since, well, Lost. TV is almost devoid of it. Sadly, the two shows I was able to achieve this somewhat with have both been canceled. FlashForward was fantastic, and although it had its flaws, I was really starting to feel a bond with it just when it was canceled.
More recently I was getting in to Rubicon on AMC. Once again, canceled. I think shows like that take a level of viewer devotion, that sadly, our ADD society doesn't really have much of. So they get low ratings and are scrapped in favor of mindless stuff that people can tune in and out of at any moment and not really have to worry about losing track of an intricate plot.

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
I played the lost numbers and won $150. If i had known about the megaplier I wouldve won $600.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
murphy7801 said:
what escapist shows
She was talking about the shows he uses for escapism: Arrested Development and Studio 60. she wasn't talking about shows on The Escapist.

A bit of a poor word choice.