The Lying Excuse of Development Time

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Concord is an Overwatch clone that, according to developers, has been in development for 8 years. And these long time frames are something we hear about a lot in video games, and is usually the go-to excuse for why trend chasing doesn't work. Games take so long to develop that if you start making a game to chase a trend today, there will be a new trend by the time your game is ready for launch. If this is true then the people behind Concord, saw Overwatch pretty much right when it came out, and said "Let's copy that", the fast forward to today and the game is now out but the Overwatch craze is mostly gone, and the game is a failure.

However the excuse that says games take too long to make is total bullshit. They take too long to make when management doesn't know what the fuck they're doing, or when the game design just isn't coming together properly in which case the better choice would be to scrap the game and start something else. There are games that go through development hell, where they take a long time to develop due to impossible goals. Cyberpunk 2077 is a good example of this which combines bad management and non-stop feature creep into the game design that yields a game that not only took forever but also came out way too early and had to be fixed over the course of a couple of years.

I want to contrast this with some examples of games, BIG games, that come out quickly and showcase that when a team knows what they're doing, games do not take that long to make.

The first examples are games you see every year. The Call of Duty games. Now each CoD takes 3 years to make roughly, not long at all and if they didn't have three different studios making these games in a rotation, I dont think anyone would have a problem with only getting a new CoD every 3 years. Those games are perfectly reasonable and while they aren't always great due to certain features or ideas, most CoD's do at least try to experiment with the formula and provide a new campaign every year (which a couple exceptions). This happens because the developers are consistent with what they are making, meaning making a realistic FPS. They know the development tools, and it's very clear what the game is trying to be every time. Which makes the assembly of CoD's very easy and smooth.

The other example I want to highlight is Final Fantasy 7 Remake/Rebirth. Try to contain your shock as I once again talk about these games. FF7 was announced in 2015, being developed by CyberConnect 2. However in 2017 Square announced that they pulled the project in house and were "starting from scratch". Now that's not entirely true because since this was a Remake, a lot of preplanning stuff didn't have to be done, like character concept and world concept art, etc. However the team had to write an entirely new story, even if it's the same story it's told differently so that's a brand new script entirely, all the models, assets, levels, soundtrack, combat systems, mechanics, all of that had to be built from scratch. Then the game launched in 2020, okay 3 years development on the final project. Also polished and fairly bug free

1 year later the game comes to PC and PS5, with a new DLC featuring new characters, new mechanics, and a new mini game.

Then 3 years later Rebirth, which does continue on from Remake's development using the same tools, engine, and character assets. Except they built an entire world 51 mini games, tons of new characters, a giant story script, alternative costumes, the works. 3 years though.

Concord, has a couple of game modes, and took 8 years supposedly? Where they drunk? What is realistically the excuse for needing that long to develop a game with minimal content. Even Ubisoft shits out new open world games in reasonable time frames.

I don't but into the excuse of games taking too long to make. I think a bad idea is bad and management needs to be more on top of projects that aren't coming together in a reasonable timeframe to cancel and avoid wasting money and time on trash game ideas. The dev time is a lie and an excuse for why a game launches badly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
There's long development time, and then there's development hell. One usually produces amazing masterpieces like Persona 5, the other messy games that got rewritten and retooled a dozen times over like FFXV.

I think it's natural for games in dev hell to wanna pretend they've just had long dev times, but we need to know better and differentiate between the two.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Usually also when you hear about something being in development for a long time, that means that they prototyped it long ago, its been something they had a couple people working on to nail down and didn't start major development till recently. A big dev house will have a few people working on smaller projects all the time to see what could become a full game.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
There are many factors that influence how much time is needed. So many that it is often impossible to see from the outside why this or that game took so long.

I mean BG3 also took 6 years and even heavily reuses assets from DoS II. And so far i have no one see claiming the management sucked, it was in development hell or they had to change course radically several times.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There are many factors that influence how much time is needed. So many that it is often impossible to see from the outside why this or that game took so long.

I mean BG3 also took 6 years and even heavily reuses assets from DoS II. And so far i have no one see claiming the management sucked, it was in development hell or they had to change course radically several times.
They needed to write dialog for every fucking possibility imaginable.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They needed to write dialog for every fucking possibility imaginable.
Thats what a CRPG is. Keeping track of what the player does and acknowledging it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm guessing 8 years means "I talked to a producer about this 8 years ago and 5 years later he told me the board of director wanted a live service game and didn't understand the concept of being late to the party". With only real dev time being done in the last couple of year.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Reminds me of RDR2 where performance capture sessions alone lasted six years. Something like 500,000 lines of dialog among 700 people. Dev time was a bit over eight years but a lot of that was done in tandem of course with the session work folded into the game as they went along.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At this point, most people know it's bad management. Even customers and gamers on the more super casual level are starting to see this now. It sucks it took so many times for them to tart noticing, but at least their standards have improved.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Another game with a long dev time that is shaping up to be incredible is Metaphor. I think they first talked about it back in 2016, though I doubt they started full scale working on it before shipping p5 Royal. Which granted would still mean a +5 year dev time either way. But Atlus is a smaller company so that part makes sense. When you have a huge company with thousands of workers take that long, it usually spells bad news. Like I want to believe the new dragon age will be good cause I love the series, warts and all, but I'm feeling way more worried than enthusiastic for it.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The truth of the matter is just that games get announced prematurely and released prematurely. Announcing games with a trailer when their development is barely past the planning phase might be an economic necessity, but it's also an artistic absurdity. In an ideal world, a games development would only be announced once there's a playable alpha.

And I'm well aware that even at that point there's still a chance the entire thing will be thrown out and started all over from scratch somewhere along the line but at least at that point the "game" is more than just a handful of pre rendered scenes that really only constitute a declaration of an intention of an artistic interpretation of a proof of concept of what may or may not be translated into a game at some point in the future, passed of as a binding announcement.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wizardry is a dungeon crawler and so is might and magic.
They are definitely RPGs that you play on a computer. Anyway, I could list dozens more, since most CRPGs before a certain date didn't track that sort of thing, the early Ultimas, Mobius, to name a couple to fill the gap. I would say that most CRPGs before the late 80s didn't have a lot of choices to make, story wise.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They are definitely RPGs that you play on a computer. Anyway, I could list dozens more, since most CRPGs before a certain date didn't track that sort of thing, the early Ultimas, Mobius, to name a couple to fill the gap. I would say that most CRPGs before the late 80s didn't have a lot of choices to make, story wise.
Maybe that is what CRPG meant back then, but now it means something else and that something involves the player dictating where the story goes.